Boys v girls

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Postby kinki on Tue May 23, 2006 5:14 pm

Rob wrote:Someone mentioned that Bauhaus were often tagged goth without being a real goth band in the same way that Japan were tagged New Romantic but were much more. Interesting that these two bands would collide in Dalis Car. A collaboration that could have been so much more!

Yes, that was me. Good point. I remember at the time being transported with delight that two of my favourites (Karn and Murphy - he of the cheekbones) were uniting as a band. It almost distracted me from the fact Japan were no more... :D

Their stuff was so weird but so good...shame there wasnt more....
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Wed May 24, 2006 10:13 am

sonic_chronicler wrote:Japan however, just looked stunning - there was David, the world's most beautiful man - how could I say I didn't have some sort of schoolboy crush on him? Mick looked so exotic. Richard & Steve looked fantasic too...

This is interesting and adds to the overall 'androgynous' thing going on at the time - even straight guys fancied them...

Heck, I used to go to clubs dressed in a suit, tie and black trilby....but I didnt fancy Toyah or Bananarama though (well, maybe just a little bit). No, I think I actually just wanted to BE David or Mick....(twisted huh? :wink: )
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Wed May 24, 2006 6:02 pm

kinki wrote:
sonic_chronicler wrote:Japan however, just looked stunning - there was David, the world's most beautiful man - how could I say I didn't have some sort of schoolboy crush on him? Mick looked so exotic. Richard & Steve looked fantasic too...

This is interesting and adds to the overall 'androgynous' thing going on at the time - even straight guys fancied them...

Heck, I used to go to clubs dressed in a suit, tie and black trilby....but I didnt fancy Toyah or Bananarama though (well, maybe just a little bit). No, I think I actually just wanted to BE David or Mick....(twisted huh? :wink: )

I use to go to clubs dressed in a suit , and I have 'ala garçon' hair ...I love angrogyny. I think sexual ambiguity is very sexy... at least, it is for me 8)
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Wed May 24, 2006 6:18 pm

Poisoned_Apathy wrote:I love angrogyny. I think sexual ambiguity is very sexy... at least, it is for me 8)

Oh goody it's not just me that thinks that then. I totally agree - and you could put the ugliest man in make-up and as far as Im concerned that would make him more attractive to me.

Sometimes you look at (particularly) David, Steve or Mick and think... actually you could be a woman, and I STILL fancy you rotten, in fact I fancy you EVEN more when you've got eyeliner and lippy on....what does it all mean? I mean, Im as straight as they come.... :roll: hey, I'm sure Sigmund Freud would have something to say on the matter.... :wink:
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby John Trevethan on Wed May 24, 2006 9:01 pm

sonic_chronicler wrote: - "Brickies in Lippy" is the phrase used to describe them :lol:

Please translate for those of us in the States?

:?
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby krausy on Wed May 24, 2006 11:29 pm

John Trevethan wrote:
sonic_chronicler wrote: - "Brickies in Lippy" is the phrase used to describe them :lol:

Please translate for those of us in the States?

:?

Well, I know "lippy" is lipstick, so now all we need is to know who or what "Brickies" is.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Thu May 25, 2006 4:48 am

OK, a brickie in this context would be a big burly labourer, like a builder or a bricklayer....
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Thu May 25, 2006 7:58 am

kinki wrote:OK, a brickie in this context would be a big burly labourer, like a builder or a bricklayer....

I gotcha. Thanks for the interpretation--make perfect sense now. :D
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Thu May 25, 2006 11:08 am

Nah worries....!
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Orpheus on Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:18 pm

Male here, from the US, straight, married, two kids. :wink: I grew up in a small town in the Midwest, and went to a small college, where Genesis was considered "modern" music. Maybe if I grew up in New York or LA I would have been different. But where I grew up, the music I liked was really considered "weird".

I was into Gary Numan, and when Mick Karn and Rob Dean played on Numan's Dance LP, I was intrigued. I bough GTP and Tin Drum and was hooked. The fact that I was also a Bowie and Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry fan had a lot to do with it also (throw in Ultravox and John Foxx too). I always seemed to like British music for some reason.

I loved the sound, the look, the lyrics, all of it. I also think I tend towards liking deeper males voices for singing, and Sylvian's voice just sort of moved me.

Was I New Waver? Maybe, but I didn't dress up or any such thing, the music was what was important to me.
There is always sunshine
Above the grey sky
I will try to find it
Yes, I will try
Orpheus
Noob
Noob

Postby kinki on Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:21 am

Orpheus wrote:Male here, from the US, straight, married, two kids. :wink: I grew up in a small town in the Midwest, and went to a small college, where Genesis was considered "modern" music. Maybe if I grew up in New York or LA I would have been different. But where I grew up, the music I liked was really considered "weird".

To return to this topic after a long while - sorry for neglecting it! Thanks for your angle on it, Orpheus....it must have been hard for you being in that environment and liking such 'different' music....did you just happen to hear Numan/Karn/Japan on the radio by chance one day and it all went from there?

--------

Now, on a slightly different note - I've just been on the JapanPioneers group site and was reading some of the messages. It's interesting, but from what I read, there are a lot of blokes in this group and they like talking about very specific things like serial numbers of releases, length of songs on different releases, colour of a particular record etc....this maybe seems to be a fundamental difference between the girls and the boys - we girls like gushing about the band members as well as the music, but the boys have a very specific, 'collector' type angle on the whole Japan fandom thing....that's what I picked up anyway!
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:58 am

I think that is definitely the case over there and on some other sites past and present. There are by my account some gals over there that get just as technical as the guys, but only a few.

Yeah, can't really gush over the guys over there--almost as it the site owners don't want it going on, or the other people will just ignore you or say something derogatory. oh well, they can have it. I usually just read my email updates when I get them, they at least keep me updated on new releases and the differences between old and new.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:25 pm

krausy wrote:Yeah, can't really gush over the guys over there--almost as it the site owners don't want it going on, or the other people will just ignore you or say something derogatory.

Quite. That's why this wonderful site is so necessary - to have somewhere to get all excited about the music but also somewhere to let off steam in a fangirly way! Some of us may be nearly 40 but we're still 17 in our heads! :twisted:

But yes, it is good to have the other group for release updates etc....each to his own I guess, but I couldnt give a rat's a*se that 'Life in Tokyo' is 16 seconds longer on one release of Assemblage than on another! :D I just dont get it - it's a bloke thing!
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:27 am

Hey, the way us gals see it , it's 16 more seconds of "mmmmm" :twisted:

and that goes for us gals of ANY age, right? :-D

That is all the technical I need, I know Kinki agrees.................. :wink:
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:22 am

krausy wrote:Hey, the way us gals see it , it's 16 more seconds of "mmmmm" :twisted:

That is all the technical I need, I know Kinki agrees.................. :wink:

Couldnt agree more, dear. :D
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion