What is your most valued Japan/Sylvian item?

Official releases, promos, bootlegs and memorabilia.

Postby arieleleven on Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:23 pm

karnsculpture wrote:My favourite items are a signed Quiet Life album with all the signatures including Rob Dean. I'm thinking of splitting the sleeve and having it framed.

I guess my other prized posessions are the tour programmes, which were really well put together and are companions for the albums, particularly the last three "Art of Parties", "Visions Of China" and "Sons Of Pioneers" which have the lovely lettering by Ken Ansell which are on several of the Virgin era singles. I don't want to say how much I have paid for the Japanese tour programmes only to see them more recently much cheaper on Ebay!

My MOST prized Sylvian item is a photo I took of him, black & white, that I sent him a copy of. David returned it signed and on the other side wrote me a letter which is really nice. I have that framed on the photo side and every now and then look at the letter. It's the only communication I've had with Sylvian that was not through one of his team so it is pretty special.

Wow...what a priceless item you have there, Paul...how great of David to sign the photo and then write you a letter on the other side...what an amazing thing to have!

I don't blame you for thinking of splitting and framing your signed Quiet Life sleeve as well. I have Rob's signature on a photo in one of my Japanese magazines from the first time I met him in '83, and then the others on the Blackwater 12" I recently acquired, but to have all 5 together on the same item would be fabulous!

Thanks to old friends in the UK too, I still have programmes from the "Art of Parties" and "Visions of China" tours, plus one from David's "In Praise of Shamans " tour...after all these years and all the moves I have made in the interim, I am grateful I didn't manage to lose those the way I somehow managed to lose all but one of my old copies of Bamboo. :?
These are years with a genius for living.
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:50 pm

karnsculpture wrote:My MOST prized Sylvian item is a photo I took of him, black & white, that I sent him a copy of. David returned it signed and on the other side wrote me a letter which is really nice. I have that framed on the photo side and every now and then look at the letter. It's the only communication I've had with Sylvian that was not through one of his team so it is pretty special.

Oh! That is so incredibly beautiful... It must have been so moving to recieve something so priceless. I am happy for you to have been so lucky to recieve a letter! I hope maybe someday to acquire something as wonderful and touching as that! But I doubt it! ;-D

It sounds like everyone on here has some very wonderful things. After thinking about it... I know it sounds a bit corny, but my most prized possesion of theirs is probably all of the beautiful music and inspiration they have given me!! They have changed my life! :-]

-K
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby arieleleven on Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:59 pm

Silver Moon wrote:It sounds like everyone on here has some very wonderful things. After thinking about it... I know it sounds a bit corny, but my most prized possesion of theirs is probably all of the beautiful music and inspiration they have given me!! They have changed my life! :-]

-K

I don't think it's corny at all, Kera, and I feel the exact same way...I'd be willing to bet that all of us do. They have brought beauty and comfort to my life at times when nothing and no one else could.
These are years with a genius for living.
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:00 am

arieleleven wrote:
Silver Moon wrote:It sounds like everyone on here has some very wonderful things. After thinking about it... I know it sounds a bit corny, but my most prized possesion of theirs is probably all of the beautiful music and inspiration they have given me!! They have changed my life! :-]

-K

I don't think it's corny at all, Kera, and I feel the exact same way...I'd be willing to bet that all of us do. They have brought beauty and comfort to my life at times when nothing and no one else could.

Amen, sista!!!!

All this year I have listened to Japan/Sylvian more than anyone else's work, and I do believe it has either a very calming effect on me, and puts me in a certain euphoria. I don't think I could have survived this year without it.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

prized item

Postby Redguitar on Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:18 pm

I have aphoto i took of David after the concert in Manchester on the fire in the forest tour. I sent it to David when i got back home and was amazed to get the photo back with the handwritten words To PHilip God bless, David Sylvian written on it.
Redguitar
Noob
Noob

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:51 pm

That's so nice. Thanks for sharing your story...
I haven't post anything here yet. Well, I think right now, my most valued item is my 12' of Nightporter, with Methods of dance as a b-side.
It's very difficult to find Japan vinyls in Spain. I was on a small shop.It's very cool because they have rare books, albums, films. I was seeing the vinyls, looking for nothing in particular and then I saw it!! I was so excited I jumped!! LOL

It's not a great thing but it's very special to me.
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: What is your most valued Japan/Sylvian item?

Postby Stephen Ng on Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:42 pm

Japanese edition Perspective book(only 500 pcs)! :P
Happy New Year for all Japan/Sylvian fans!
I see this website for too late,hope not miss many thing!
From Hong Kong fans over 26 years
Stephen
Stephen Ng
Noob
Noob

Re: What is your most valued Japan/Sylvian item?

Postby Silver Moon on Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 pm

Stephen Ng wrote:Japanese edition Perspective book(only 500 pcs)! :P

NO WAY!!!! You own the legendary Japanese edition?!? You must post pictures, that is extraordinary!!!!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby sisterlondon on Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:51 pm

Wow people, you have amazing items! Geez, I don't think I own anything rare at all, just very few books, cds and vinyl. Wish I had more!

Poisoned_Apathy wrote:It's very difficult to find Japan vinyls in Spain. I was on a small shop.It's very cool because they have rare books, albums, films. I was seeing the vinyls, looking for nothing in particular and then I saw it!! I was so excited I jumped!! LOL

It's not a great thing but it's very special to me.

That's a cute story! And I can tell you a shop where you can find Japan vinyl in Madrid if you want. I saw quite a few there when I went 2 weeks ago. I was tempted, but I thought that overall the prices were a bit too high for my taste. That shop is never cheap! I am sure you can get those on ebay a lot cheaper.
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Cheery Cherry on Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:29 pm

Well, sadly, I only own Japan CDs at the moment as I lost "touch" with Japan/Sylvian music when I moved to USA in my mid teens (for desperation to "fit in") and unfortunately, when we moved from England to New York, my parents threw out/lost all of my Japan/Sylvian books, clippings, cassette tapes, records, posters, etc. EXCEPT for the "Red Guitar" single record because that was packed in with my clothes. I am trying to build my collection again...kinda sucks.
Cheery Cherry
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Cheery Cherry on Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:28 pm

Yeah...internet is sooo great for that :). I've been shopping on e-bay (just recently decided to register) and boy...is it addicting!!!!
Cheery Cherry
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:28 pm

I finally got the Japanese edition of "Sons of Pioneers", so right now that's probably the rarest I have (which isn't that rare, but still I'm loving it!). I'm going to receive Ember Glance soon as well.
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:22 pm

sisterlondon wrote:That's a cute story! And I can tell you a shop where you can find Japan vinyl in Madrid if you want. I saw quite a few there when I went 2 weeks ago. I was tempted, but I thought that overall the prices were a bit too high for my taste. That shop is never cheap! I am sure you can get those on ebay a lot cheaper.

Thanks Isa but i think i know what's the shop you're talking about. I already have GTP and Tin Drum on vinyl. I think I'll get the other three on ebay when I have some money.

mmm I think, my other most valued item is the Adolescent Sex 7" vinyl... I found it on a old record shop too in Madrid, and it was, actually, the first Japan item I ever bought :-)
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Music, Video, Memorabilia