Movie Music...

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Movie Music...

Postby Tanya80 on Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:08 pm

i may sound wired, but evertime i hear, "My New Career", i always think about the movie, "Evil Dead"....so, i was thinking, is there a Japan song that reminds u of a movie ?......
Tanya80
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:29 pm

Yeah! The song "A Foreign place" Reminds me of Lost In Translation... For obvious reasons... And the song "Red Guitar" reminds me of "Eraserhead" Because of the music video!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Re: Movie Music...

Postby marcello09 on Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:36 pm

Tanya80 wrote:i may sound wired, but evertime i hear, "My New Career", i always think about the movie, "Evil Dead"....so, i was thinking, is there a Japan song that reminds u of a movie ?......

Gotta tell ya, I love the Evil Dead... and I love Japan... but I've never thought of them together! I'd love to hear how you associate the two, Miss Tanya :-)

The only Japan-related movie that pops into my head sometimes is "Gas Food Lodging", since the "Quiet Life" album is occasionally featured. It's in the soundtrack, the album cover is in the background of one scene, and one of the lead characters tries to seduce some dude by quoting the lyrics of "Fall In Love With Me". It's an obvious association, I know, but I thought I'd drop it in here for anyone who isn't familiar with the movie. Highly recommended!
marcello09
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Tanya80 on Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:10 pm

Whoa!!, the movie sounds interesting, gotta check it out, Thanks for the info Silver & Marcello :).....luv the part on Evil Dead, when she sings, "We're Gonna Get You", lol.....since the movie is a horror, "My New Career", sorta have a dark, gloomy, mysterious sound towards it :)
Tanya80
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:31 pm

Well, maybe it's another obvious assotiation but Canton use to remind me some scenes of the chinese movie 'House of flying daggers'.
It's such a beautiful movie. The story is very nice and aesthetically and visualy it's simply amazing!!
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:56 pm

I played Canton for a friend of mine once... And my friend said

"Can we please change it? This song reminds me of big fat sumo-wrestler guys dancing around a fire..."

I was also playing Art of parties and she said...

"Can we switch the song??? It sounds like a cat barfing up a hairball..."

All I could say was- WTF?!??!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby lastgoldstar on Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:07 pm

Silver Moon wrote:I played Canton for a friend of mine once... And my friend said

"Can we please change it? This song reminds me of big fat sumo-wrestler guys dancing around a fire..."

I was also playing Art of parties and she said...

"Can we switch the song??? It sounds like a cat barfing up a hairball..."

All I could say was- WTF?!??!

-K-

Er, yeah, that's a big WTF, ha ha.

I've always thought that Methods of Dance sounded like the backdrop for some dramatic "reclaiming my love" type of scene. But that's just me. :lol:
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Movie Music...

Postby peterw on Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:06 pm

Well, not quite movie music, but television music.

One day I had the TV on in the backgroud. It was a re-run of that USA network show entitled La Femme Nikita starring Peta Wilson. The show went into a musical scene and as I listened I realized, "hey, I know that song!". They were using David Sylvian's song Thalheim from Dead Bees on a Cake.

Every time I hear that song now I think of La Femme Nikita.
peterw
Noob
Noob

Re: Movie Music...

Postby marcello09 on Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:36 pm

peterw wrote:Well, not quite movie music, but television music.

One day I had the TV on in the backgroud. It was a re-run of that USA network show entitled La Femme Nikita starring Peta Wilson. The show went into a musical scene and as I listened I realized, "hey, I know that song!". They were using David Sylvian's song Thalheim from Dead Bees on a Cake.

Every time I hear that song now I think of La Femme Nikita.

Similar, but different: I was in a rather snooty restaurant -- you know, the kind where they have a real piano player instead of piped in muzak -- and I hear this familiar melody coming around the corner. 'Twas "Forbidden Colors". Naturally, I waltzed over to commend the pianist on his exquisite taste, and whattaya know... it was the keyboardist from my old band!

He's not working there any more (his tunes occasionally crop up in the soundtracks to TV shows these days), but every time I go to that restaurant I expect to hear something lovely and esoteric... only to be disappointed that the pianist's repertoire begins and ends with Yanni. And the food's not that great either, so whatever!
marcello09
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to General Discussion