Converting family members to the dark side... Mwahaha!

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Converting family members to the dark side... Mwahaha!

Postby Silver Moon on Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:11 am

I have some family coming into town this month and the next. Tomorrow my uncle is coming in and every time he comes he brings his Dream Theatre DVD's and we have to watch ALL OF THEM for HOURS every time.... So, I think now it's time I turn the tables and play him Japan and David Sylvian stuff!! I just don't know what to start with. I think, though, I'll start with 'Oil On Canvas' since no human could ever hate that. But since he's more into Rock, I was thinking the 'Damage' show could be an option...

Also, next month I have an Aunt and a Gran coming visit for 3 weeks. (More time for convering... Mwahah) I was sort of toying with the idea that "Brilliant Trees" Should be the best thing to play them first... So, what would you guys reccomend playing first for a Dream Theatre loving Uncle, and a Granny and an Aunt??? :-P

-K-

PS: We sent my Uncle a copy of Porcupine Tree's 'Deadwing' and 'In Absentia' a few weeks ago and he LOVED it... So, that must be a good sign!
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby lastgoldstar on Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:30 am

Maybe some of the Sylvian/Fripp collaborations for your uncle?

And I'd recommend GTP for anyone because it's only the best album ever. But that's just my opinion. :wink:

I just got ahold of Deadwing myself. Goooood stuff.
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:09 pm

I agree with you in almost all.
Some Sylvian/Fripp stuff could be a great starter for your uncle...and for your aunt and gran ...'Brilliant trees' is a very nice introdution to Sylvian music ,but you can try 'SOTB' as well.

And for Japan...I'm with last...GTP!!!!! :lol:

...I'm loving Deadwings as well...such a great rock album :-)
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:44 pm

Me too... If you guys like Deadwing you should pick up 'In absentia' and 'Stupid Dream' They are great!!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby proggrl on Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:54 pm

ME THREE!! Then you should get Signify and Up the Downstair and Sky Moves Sideways. If you liked Stupid Dream, next year when it's re-released in 5.1, you should get Lightbulb Sun(along with the new album of course). Within the next week, you should be able to pre-order their first ever live DVD!!!
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:56 pm

Dvd? omigosh-----Proggrl you are killing me!!!!

Perhaps we should expand the Porcupine Tree thread and include all these tidbits of goodies, like tour dates, releases, etc. Everytime I turn around there is something brewing with those guys!!!!!
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:10 am

Ok, well, he visited us and he went home today... And I think I can say... "Mission Accomplished!" He did insult Richard Barbieri one time *GASP* And made fun of him for having a baby gate around his synths while he was playing Porcupine Tree live... But he actually really loved the Sylvian Fripp stuff! He said he never listened to King Crimson, but he would love them a lot more if DS was the singer for all of it! He also liked Japan's early stuff, like Adolescent Sex, Suburban Berlin, and Life in Tokyo. I played him Oil On Canvas and he thought Mick Karn was very cool!! I did play him some Dali's Car, and at the beginning of 'Create and Melt' he said "I think you guy's toilet is backed up..." LMAO!

... He's coming back to visit this weekend too, so now I am contemplating phase 2 of my plan... Mwahaha...

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby lastgoldstar on Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:29 am

Silver Moon wrote:he would love them a lot more if DS was the singer for all of it!

Score one for you, eh? :-D

What's the plan for phase two?
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:55 am

... I'm workin' on it!

I'm thinking... More solo work... Brilliant Tree's, Alchemy... And show him my VHS with the 4 music video's on it (Red Guitar, Ink in the Well, Silver Moon, and Orpheus) Shame it doesn't have Pulling Punches... Though DS may not... I love that video!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby heartofdavid on Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:16 am

I've converted quite a few friends and family (people in their 30s and 40s) into Japan/David fans, if there's any holdout it's usually because they don't like David's voice, that seems to be the 'make or break' factor for a lot of people.

Some of my friends who said they'd never heard of the band or David, did recall the song "Art of Parties" once they listened to it because it was a dance club favorite back in the 80s, they just didn't remember who it was by.

I had some people email me after reading my fanfics, stating they were curious about the music after reading my stories. I gave them recommendations on which albums to start with and they're all fans now.

Everyone who I've recommended Porcupine Tree now likes them.

It's all about spreading the love. ;)
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:40 am

That is great, Kera!!! I think phase II ideas are good----he should like that just as much I believe!!!!
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:06 am

Ok... My uncle is coming back tomorrow... And my diabolical plan for phase 2 is almost complete... MWAHAHA... *AHEM* ok... I'm going to give him a lethal overdose of Sylvian solo work... Starting with Brilliant Trees and ending with Nine Horses... (Would have said 'dead bees' cause that would have rhymed- But I can't stop there!)

... By the time I am done he will know every line of every song, I tell you... Every line!!

:smt026

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby arieleleven on Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:32 pm

So far, I have not even attempted to convert any family members to Japandom (not worth the effort, believe me :( ).

What I am truly pleased about at the moment is that I have successfully brought one of my closest and dearest original Japanfriends back into the fold...and she seems to be having as much fun in the process as I have been. :D
Last edited by arieleleven on Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These are years with a genius for living.
arieleleven
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:05 am

Ok, well, plan 2 didn't really work out the way I expected! We didn't stay at the house much... But during breakfast I played him "Brilliant Trees" But I don't think he had a holy experience or anything!! Ah well, I'll just have to send him a copy of "The first day" :-)

... At least there is still my Gran and Aunt... I tried to convert the cousins via myspace... But they won't have anything to do with them because they thought David was a female then transexual!! :smt019

... Hopefully the others will understand the 80's better!!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby krausy on Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:07 pm

Why, the NERVE of them thinking such things!!!!! :evil:

Oh well, You will just have to be the cool member of the family..............like all of us are!!!!! :-D
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to General Discussion