Vista blog

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Re: Vista blog

Postby kitaj on Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:22 pm

Wonderful as usual, David - thanks. I'm going to relish reading this one as P&P is one of my favourite records as well.

I bought the LP in 1989 aged 16 as part of an introductory Sylvian buying spree that included Gone to Earth, Secrets of the Beehive, Pop Song, and Flux+Mutability. I remember going to school in the afternoon one day after having put 'Plight' on for its debut play right beforehand and, being in the habit of singing to myself while walking, singing over and over the three-note piano theme at the beginning on my way. Teens and their taste in music...
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby silentwings on Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:20 pm

That's a great story about Plight & Premonition, kitaj. I think it took me quite a few listens to even start to get to grips with the music. Such rewarding listening though.

I've just published a new article about 'When Poets Dreamed of Angels' from Secrets of a Beehive. I spoke to Phil Palmer, the guitarist who, working with Sylvian and Steve Nye, crafted the wonderful acoustic guitar introduction. Amazingly, Phil believes that the first time he heard the finished track since the day he played it was well over 30 years later... Read that story and some memories of the sessions at the link below.

https://sylvianvista.com/2021/07/02/whe ... of-angels/
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:54 pm

I've just published the latest article, this one about 'Snow White in Appalachia' from Manafon. I was delighted to be able to talk to Christian Fennesz about the exploratory sessions which took place in Vienna in 2004, the process of finding the 'gold' that David Sylvian was looking for, and Christian's connecting role across the whole project.

There is also reference to some of the music recorded in Vienna which never made it to the record.

Here's the link: https://sylvianvista.com/2021/07/23/sno ... ppalachia/

footnote: This article is dedicated to the memory of Peter Rehberg, whose story intersects with the people & events recounted here. Today's news of Peter's sudden passing has shocked and saddened so many. May he rest in peace and his friends & family be comforted in their loss.
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:49 pm

Another great blog. This led me to the Noël Akchoté album mentioned (Alike Joseph) and I was absolutely astounded at how much the first track in particular sets the template for Blemish.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby silentwings on Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:09 pm

Thanks Blemished for tracking down 'Alike Joseph' - it's a striking piece of work and, in my opinion, certainly a reference point for some of the sound creation on Blemish.

I've published a new article on the duet 'Ti Ho Aspettato (I Have Waited for You)' by Andrea Chimenti & David Sylvian, as featured on Andrea's 1996 album L'Albero Pazzo.

I loved these occasional collaborations in what seemed like the long wait between the Sylvian/Fripp project and Dead Bees on a Cake. This one seemed special in providing a connection between Sylvian and the Italian music scene, his following being particularly strong in the country.

It was a pleasure to talk to Andrea Chimenti about how the artists came to collaborate and the creation of the song.

Here's the link: https://sylvianvista.com/2021/08/13/ti- ... d-for-you/
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:37 am

Thanks again.
There also was a special edition (unofficial) of the single with four postcards: https://www.discogs.com/Andrea-Chimenti ... se/2237927

Funny you mentioned the Doc-show in your introduction. Years ago I got a dvdr from that show from an Italian musician. The band played four tracks, Orpheus, Taking The Veil, Weathered Wall and Riverman.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:17 pm

In June this year the album Night Blossoms by Melaine Dalibert was released on Yuko Zama's elsewhere label, including electronic sound by David Sylvian on the tracks 'Yin' and 'Yang'.

A release proposal by Sylvian in 2018 was the catalyst for the creation of the label and he has had a hand in all four of Dalibert's albums on elsewhere - culminating in his contribution in sound for Night Blossoms.

The latest article traces the story and includes an interview with Melaine himself.

Here's the link: https://sylvianvista.com/2021/09/03/yin-yang/
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:33 am

The latest article is on the stunning and beautiful closing track of Blemish: 'A Fire in the Forest'.

It was the first collaboration between David Sylvian and Christian Fennesz, and their combined efforts produced the perfect track to close the album.

Looking into how the artists linked up, their working methods, when they finally met up, and more... When I spoke to Christian for the recent article on 'Snow White in Appalachia', he gave me his reflections and one or two insights into this work which are included in the article.

Here's the link: https://sylvianvista.com/2021/09/24/a-f ... he-forest/
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby javier on Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:41 am

Another great article - I enjoyed it far more than the track it discusses!

To me, Fire In The Forest is a very weak Sylvian ballad.

Compared to the beauty and emotional resonance of Darkest Dreaming, The First Day, Damage and many others before, it sounds simplistic and repetitive in melody, almost childlike, and with a detached and distant feeling. None of the immersive enveloping sound of his previous work. I feel no warmth nor gentle epic quality. It just doesn't touch the heart, lift one up or transport the emotions to the same extent.

I don't think it's only the melody that's lacking, but also the production. All of Blemish has a somewhat direct, crisp, cool feeling. Technically of course it is well-produced, but there's a hard edge to everything, this included.

I just don't get the love for this song at all.
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby silentwings on Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:02 am

Hi javier, thanks as always for reading the blog. I do find it fascinating how different pieces of music touch people in different ways. I'd always place 'A Fire in the Forest' above 'The First Day' in terms of how it reaches me emotionally, yet I know others feel precisely the opposite - as you do. I guess it's what makes life interesting! There are no absolutes in relation to what is right or wrong in one's personal response to the creative arts. We enjoy what we enjoy. Long may that continue!
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:26 pm

For the latest article I've returned to Nine Horses for the track 'Atom and Cell'. This came from early sessions for a proposed joint album by Steve Jansen and David Sylvian, long before Burnt Friedman became involved in the project. I love the keyboard melody, Jansen's percussion and then the perfect contributions from Ryuichi Sakamoto and Arve Henriksen.

Sylvian was in New York the night before the 9/11 attacks and an encounter on 5th Avenue stuck in his mind and became the starting point for this song. Its political lyric set the tone for the remaining pieces on Snow Borne Sorrow.

Here's the link: https://sylvianvista.com/2021/10/15/atom-and-cell/
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Gabzi Nemo on Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:52 pm

You did an excellent job on the article!

I always enjoy reading about the tensions in the world that guided artistic processes. The underlying ideas and beliefs of artists I have found to be the most interesting, especially when the undercurrent shows itself in the work. Ironically enough, I have begun to realize that most people (even if they do not necessarily realize it), often share significant commonalities in thought. I may be too young to remember 9/11, but you did an excellent job in painting the events that contributed to Sylvian’s work during the period.

I haven’t listened to anything from Nine Horses yet, but you gave me an idea of how to spend the rest of the weekend :)
{Insert life-changing mantra here}
Gabzi Nemo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby silentwings on Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:32 am

Hi Gabzi Nemo, thanks for reading the article and for your feedback. I hope you enjoyed spending time with Nine Horses. Snow Borne Sorrow is an album that has very much grown on me over the years. It's a wonderful diversion imho.
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:19 pm

I've been blown away by the popularity of the 'Atom and Cell' article, so many thanks to those of you following the blog.

A new article has just been published looking back on the In Praise of Shamans tour of 1988. Sylvian has seldom spoken warmly about this tour but it remains a cherished memory for me. It was my first time seeing these musicians live and it really was a stellar line-up with Steve Jansen/Richard Barbieri/David Torn/Mark Isham/Robbie Aceto and Ian Maidman.

Maybe it didn't reach the heights that Sylvian aspired to, but hearing this material played was nothing short of a thrill for me.

Here's the link: https://sylvianvista.com/2021/11/05/bri ... rals-live/
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:40 pm

Thanks (again). Such a shame there was never an official live-recording from this tour. Most of us will have a bootleg-recording, but it would be so wonderful to have a release that has the thumbes up from all involved (including Russell Mills).
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion