ERR: A photographic essay by David Sylvian

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

ERR: A photographic essay by David Sylvian

Postby fubiria on Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:55 am

Quite surprised that nobody is talking about this in the forum.
A long time since fresh news from David. It's been good news for me. Yes, I prefer something referred to music, but always interested also in aesthetics.
ordered the signed and numbered edition. It has led me to be listening to sylvian today in a loop...
http://www.davidsylvian.com/err/
fubiria
Noob
Noob

Re: ERR: A photographic essay by David Sylvian

Postby Quiet Visitor on Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:42 pm

Thanks. With a price of more than € 100 for the standaard edition this is a bit too much for a non-musical release.
But I'm sure people will enjoy this one. The signed and numbered edition is already o.o.s.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:46 pm

Am looking forward to it - been enjoying his photos on Instagram.

What I was also really glad to see was an update on what he's been doing, although have to say it was pretty unexpected. Was aware that he lived in Berlin for a while but the news that he's been criss-crossing the U.S. looking for somewhere to call home while the pandemic raged was surprising. Maybe he's settled somewhere for now to be in a position to release this (and with the Brilliant Trees footage too). But maybe not? He makes reference to life-changing, traumatic events and it makes you realise how long its been without an interview. I can't really believe that it's been 18 years since Blemish!
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby jon10g on Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:35 am

I looked at buying this but also felt it was overpriced for what it was. I was also concerned by what additional taxes would levied on receipt as we are no longer in the EU. The sample pictures did not inspire me, unlike his Instagram pictures, many of which are very good. I was also surprised that he did not have any writing in the book. I found the brief essay on the microsite fascinating. What a time to spend driving around the US, the middle of a pandemic! Very odd.
jon10g
Regular
Regular

Postby lukasgardiner on Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:27 am

I really enjoyed the note included on the micro site describing the last few years but also found it rather confusing and depressing. It’s odd that someone who doesn’t like to share does actually share so much in this way without providing any glimpse of what the future holds. That last line is really and truly ominous.

I’m quite certain this will be a wonderful book and can’t wait to get my signed copy - but imagine if David had yanked an unused piece of music out of the recent vault (I find it hard to believe there’s been zero creativity musically - just that traditional or mass releases are no longer possible or desired) and included a cd with the book? He would have sold many many more. But then again I feel bad saying that as that would imply this is all for money and not artistic expression.
lukasgardiner
Regular
Regular

Postby Nicrobliz on Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:50 pm

Pass.

Overpriced, bourgeois merchandise, IMHO. That book is for diehard fans but I consider myself more a discerning fan.
Nicrobliz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Foales Arishes on Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:38 pm

lukasgardiner wrote:That last line is really and truly ominous.

Isn't is just. The whole piece is very melancholic, to the point of depression, that actually troubled me, despite it having nothing to do with me directly [and I perversely enjoy melancholia] David feels like a lost soul, with almost nothing left to give.... apart for a very expensive book :lol:

I'm disappointed this is such an expensive release, but, I guess interest is now so limited that this is the only way such a project can recoup the costs. I've long said I'd love a book on his photography, but, this is most certainly not it. I will continue to enjoy the work he posts on Instagram, and let this pass me by with (almost) no regrets... I've bought enough costly items from him over the years, so I feel I've done my bit.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ob8 on Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:10 pm

Davids words to me are somewhat troubling. He on the one one hand is deeply private, but then he posts something like this, which is worrying and somewhat confusing. It almost seems like a cry for help.

Driving across America, iPhone in hand. Taking pictures at will. Surely that's illegal to drive and take a photo ? It is here in the UK. Maybe in the US they still have a more relaxed view on such things.

For me, David since his teenage years has been immersed in music in one way or another. To take yourself outside of that environment and almost cease to pursue the talents that have been bestowed on you is deeply concerning. He says that does not consider himself a musician. That is pure nonsense. I know it is all relevant and he doesn't play for three hours a day like Robert Fripp does. But he has earnt a living from music for 40 years and performed alone on stage on guitar and keyboards in 1995. Thats a musician in my mind ! That's without going into his incredible catalogue of compositions.

David stop taking photos, pick up your guitar, sit at a Prophet 5 for a few hours and try to rediscover the beauty of music that has held you and us in it's bosom for years. Use the very gift that has been bestowed upon you, your voice. Coupled with your unique lyrics and music makes it a magical combination that for your fans is unique and unrivalled.

For me what David is searching for is within himself. He can't escape from that. He has a responsibility to music, and music has shaped who he has become. The answers aren't in America, driving from state to state. The answers are within himself. He can run but he can't hide.
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:39 pm

While I totally agree with your hope that David makes peace w the muse and creates music once again, I 100% disagree that he has a "responsibility" to do anything other than to be true to himself and his loved ones. :smt020
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby javier on Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:23 pm

One can argue that he has a gift for songwriting and singing, and that not to use that gift seems a pity. Yes, it does, for those who are greedy for more from him.
Some even say he is "wasting" this musical gift. But the truth is it is his gift, not ours, and he can do with it as he chooses.

As an human being, he has no responsibility other than to himself and that which he chooses to take responsibility for.
As an artist, he is only responsible for the next step of his creative journey - and in this case it seems to have been driving and photographing for a year, with the next step currently unclear.

His last sentence in that essay: "I’ve run out of road, setting loose the demons. What, other than apathy, remains?". Although I see how it could be read as ominous, I don't think this is necessarily true. I read that he has reached the end of this chapter, this "project", and is expressing being at a point of apathy where there is some kind of choice to make, and a turmoil of (apparently) conflicting thoughts.
That's not a bad thing. That's the creative process.

Earlier in the article he writes: "But what’s wrong with wasting your time?", and I think this is true. There is no need to do anything in life. Who is to judge what "wasting" is, and even if by our own judgement, it's still our own choice to make.
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Quiet Visitor on Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:15 pm

Burning Shed has the new book too for sale: https://burningshed.com/artists/japan-a ... n_err_book
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby jon10g on Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:50 am

Has anyone here bought this book? Is it any good?
jon10g
Regular
Regular

Postby Gabzi Nemo on Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:01 am

Jon, you're alive! :D I thought you left for good x)
I can't tell you anything about the book though. I sort of looked at the price tag then ran away.
Glad to see you around though :p
{Insert life-changing mantra here}
Gabzi Nemo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby lukasgardiner on Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:44 pm

Bought my signed copy when it was announced. Love it. #248 of 500.
lukasgardiner
Regular
Regular

Postby jon10g on Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:51 am

Am tempted to purchase now! Wish I had pulled the trigger for the signed edition.
jon10g
Regular
Regular

Next

Return to Solo Work