New live-album: Budokan 1982 Nen 12 Gatsu 8 Ka Live

Official releases, promos, bootlegs and memorabilia.

New live-album: Budokan 1982 Nen 12 Gatsu 8 Ka Live

Postby Quiet Visitor on Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:12 am

Budokan 1982 Nen 12 Gatsu 8 Ka Live is the title of a new Japan live-album which will be released in August.
The English translation of the description on CDJapan is as follows:

A live album that recorded the Budokan performance on December 8, 1982 from Japan's final tour with Masami Tsuchiya of Ippudo as a support member. David Sylvian and Ryuichi Sakamoto announced in addition to "Burning Bridges", "Foreigners", "European Sun", "Life in Tokyo" not recorded in the live album "Oil on Canvas" from the tour. Ryuichi Sakamoto and Akiko Yano participated in the single "Bamboo Music", and Yukihiro Takahashi participated in lead vocals in the following "Taking Islands in Africa". It's a moving content for a Japanese fan who ends the duet with David Sylvian and Akiko Yano in "Good Night".

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/MSIG-1401
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: New live-album: Budokan 1982 Nen 12 Gatsu 8 Ka Live

Postby Gabzi Nemo on Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:22 pm

All I can say is that I want it :smt007

Thank you for all the info you post!
{Insert life-changing mantra here}
Gabzi Nemo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Quiet Visitor on Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:59 pm

Gabzi Nemo wrote:All I can say is that I want it :smt007

Thank you for all the info you post!

You're welcome. We're all trying to keep this forum a bit lively aren't we. :wink:

Anyway, I hope this is a legit release, so the bandmembers and families will see some benefit.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Gabzi Nemo on Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:13 pm

Quiet Visitor wrote:
You're welcome. We're all trying to keep this forum a bit lively aren't we. :wink:

Anyway, I hope this is a legit release, so the bandmembers and families will see some benefit.

Yeah, I think we all hope that this places stays awake for as long as possible. Awhile ago I was running an unofficial campaign to sort of spread the word a bit more. Perhaps I should get back at it. It took me a year and a half to be lucky enough to find this place.

What I really want is all those guests that are supposedly always lurking here to join and start yapping. Sure, there are a few bots in the mix, but there has to be a good amount of people as well. :mrgreen:
Gabzi Nemo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Quiet Visitor on Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:27 pm

Well, most of the folks who visited forums through the years have traded them for Facebook-sites. In the case of Japan etc. JBK Jansen Barbieri Karn is one of them (https://www.facebook.com/groups/385768124842049/). They also posted on the Mick Karn-forum to get some attention: https://mickkarn.proboards.com/
Somehow it works and I get some information from that facebook-site, but I'll never become a FB-member.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Gabzi Nemo on Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:35 pm

I'll never become a member either. I find it sad how Facebook has absolutely decimated forums and blogs. You would think that the scandals about leaking user information would get people off of the site, but I guess its so addictive that its hard to stop frequenting them.
Gabzi Nemo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Blemished on Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:12 am

Seems there's been quite a kerfuffle over this. Steve Jansen was asked on Twitter about whether it's an official release (or at least one that he and other band members could benefit from) and he said it was an illegal release with no permission from rights owners.

I'd already ordered it before this, but amazon have said that not likely to arrive until September-October (and even then I guess that's unlikely) and has been withdrawn from sale.

Do hope this can be sorted out as would be good to hear a high quality version of this - always been intrigued about the re-arranged versions of older songs especially.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Quiet Visitor on Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:27 pm

Thanks for this background information. I'm not surprised by it. Furthermore I don't know if there's a difference between licensing live-versions and original studio-versions. It seems in general there are a lot of live-albums released officially without the approvement of the musicians.
Well, if I have more information on my order from CDJapan I'll let you know.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:35 pm

Looks like this going to be released outside Japan by Floating World:
https://floatingworldrecords.co.uk/prod ... yo-fm-1982
Recently I bought a live recording from Camel from this label. Sound was oké.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:40 pm

Latest news from CDJapan:

We have just received an update from
the distributor.
The release date of the following item(s) has
been changed from August 26, 2020 to September 02, 2020.
=============================================
MSIG-1401
JAPAN / Budokan 1982 Nen 12 Gatsu 8 Ka Live
CDA 3200yen Released : September 02, 2020
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:13 pm

My copy arrived today - not had a chance to listen yet, but nice set of liner notes inside.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Quiet Visitor on Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:51 am

My copy arrived today. Although it's also from Floating World/Voiceprint, this Japanese edition has an OBI with information about Music Scene Incorporation (http://www.musicscene.co.jp/top.htm). The informative booklet, written by Alan Robinson in June 2020 is accompanied by a Japanese information-sheet, written in July 2020. The only English characters are Japan, Oil On Canvas, Don't Rain On My Parade, Unconventional State Line, Adolescent Sex, Obscure Alternatieves, Quiet Life, Gentlemen Take Polaroids, Tin Drum, Sons Of Pioneers, Fall In Love With Me and Forbidden Colours.

Just listen to this for the first time: sound is quite good and I really like it the way Mick's bass is in front of the mix.
Sakamoto is introduced in Japanese by David as "Sakamoto Ryuichi" (before starting Bamboo Music, also featuring Akiko Yano.
The audience is more active (read: louder) than on Oil On Canvas, which makes is a more true live-recording.

All in all, a very fine addition to my Japan-collection.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:00 am

I haven't read the liner notes yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if a track like Taking Islands In Africa comes from a different source. The sound-quality isn't as good as the previous tracks on disk 2.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:32 pm

Blemished wrote:Seems there's been quite a kerfuffle over this. Steve Jansen was asked on Twitter about whether it's an official release (or at least one that he and other band members could benefit from) and he said it was an illegal release with no permission from rights owners.

I'd already ordered it before this, but amazon have said that not likely to arrive until September-October (and even then I guess that's unlikely) and has been withdrawn from sale.

Do hope this can be sorted out as would be good to hear a high quality version of this - always been intrigued about the re-arranged versions of older songs especially.

Hope Philip isn't a visitor over here.... :wink:
https://www.davidsylvian.net/news/lates ... n-2cd-set/
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Music, Video, Memorabilia