Vista blog

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Re: Vista blog

Postby Quiet Visitor on Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:06 am

Thanks. Great work again.
Unlike you I followed Japan from the single Adolescent Sex, so for me Quiet Life became on my radar when it was released. It's still my favourite Japan-album, although I love them all in one way or another.
The recent Electronic Sound-edition mentioned there would be a re-release early next year.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:59 am

Thanks Quiet Visitor for the feedback. Your history as a fan certainly pre-dates mine!

I just updated my article on Japan's 'Taking Islands in Africa' to include some scans of notes made by Ryuichi Sakamoto during the recording sessions. Also, if you look in the comments section you will see some first-hand observations from Rob Dean that he shared in an on-line discussion of the article.

Here's the link: https://sylvianvista.com/2019/05/17/tak ... in-africa/

Thank you to everyone for the interest in Vista in 2019.
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:14 pm

The first article for 2020 features the opening instrumental on disc two of Gone to Earth - 'The Healing Place'.

The track includes luminous guitar from Bill Nelson and the voice of radical artist Joseph Beuys.

Just as Jean Cocteau before him, Beuys became a huge influence on David Sylvian and an almost-tangible presence. His inspiration can be traced from 'Steel Cathedrals' to 'Manafon'.

Here's the link: https://sylvianvista.com/2020/01/03/the-healing-place/
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby javier on Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:01 pm

silentwings wrote:The first article for 2020 features the opening instrumental on disc two of Gone to Earth - 'The Healing Place'.

The track includes luminous guitar from Bill Nelson and the voice of radical artist Joseph Beuys.

Just as Jean Cocteau before him, Beuys became a huge influence on David Sylvian and an almost-tangible presence. His inspiration can be traced from 'Steel Cathedrals' to 'Manafon'.

Another great read - thanks.
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby silentwings on Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:39 pm

Thanks everyone for your continuing interest in the blog.

In 1987 I was one of the fortunate few who got to see 'Kin', the dance production by Gaby Agis and Company for which David Sylvian provided the score. It was a collaboration with the sculptor Kate Blacker who provided the set.

Recently I spoke with Kate and with dancer Charlotte Zerbey about the production. The article contains some rare photographs from Kate's collection:

Here's the link, I hope you enjoy: https://sylvianvista.com/2020/01/24/kin/
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:36 pm

Interesting read.

B.t.w. the track "The Stigma of Childhood (Kin)" is also on the 2003 remaster of "Alchemy An Index Of Possibilities"
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:56 pm

B.t.w. the track "The Stigma of Childhood (Kin)" is also on the 2003 remaster of "Alchemy An Index Of Possibilities"

You are right, of course, Quiet Visitor. I've added this point to the article.
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:47 am

I've made a couple of updates to my article on David Sylvian's 'Wave' featuring Robert Fripp. Adding insight from a recent interview shared by davidsylvian.net from which we can be almost certain that Jan Garbarek had been the intended soloist, and adding another working title of the song discovered on a mastering cassette.

It seems incredible that we may never have heard Robert Fripp's wonderful guitar on this track! I'd certainly have loved to hear a Jan Garbarek/David Sylvian collaboration, but schedules ruled that out..

Here's the updated article: https://sylvianvista.com/2019/08/30/wave/
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:48 pm

A new article just published about the brilliant song 'Linoleum' by Chris Vrenna (as tweaker) with David Sylvian on vocals.

I love this side project, it has such a menacing feel about it. Playing a role in Chris' story of the character Elliot draws Sylvian into new territory, it seems to me.

It was a pleasure to talk to Chris Vrenna about the project.

Oh, and what a great video!

Here's the link - https://sylvianvista.com/2020/02/14/linoleum/
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:57 pm

Thanks for that!!!

I love Linoleum and actually it made me a tweaker and Chris Vrenna-fan.
I bought most of his recordings (including the soundtrack for American McGee's Alice (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcyeL9-_tl0))
And I also bought (and still have) the t-shirt that came with the first album. Yes, it has a large t on it.
But to be honest I never knew that first tweaker was actually a kind of concept-album, so I'm a wiser man now and will listen to the album and EP with different ears next time.

What I really liked about Linoleum was David's anger and from your piece I can understand where that came from.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:15 pm

Thanks as always for reading the blog articles and for the feedback.

A new article has been published themed around the first two of Franz Wright's poems featured on the album there's a light that enters houses with no other house in sight.

Wright was a fascinating character and writer, and his collection Kindertotenwald resonated deeply with Sylvian.

The article explores the poet's earlier Pulitzer Prize winning work, the pieces 'Wintersleep' and 'The Wall', and the collaboration with David Sylvian.

Here's the link - https://sylvianvista.com/2020/03/06/win ... -the-wall/
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:40 am

Sending good wishes to everyone out there are at this extraordinary time.

What's happening in the world makes you question what you are doing. Is it really relevant? I've concluded that music brings light and calm to me (and so much more), so I aim to continue to write the articles if I can.

The latest one returns to Rain Tree Crow and explores how Jansen & Barbieri's Stories Across Borders and RTC have a shared history, the creation of the duo project being paused to allow for the group re-formation.

'New Moon at Red Deer Wallow' features just the four band members, with a wonderful bass clarinet lead from Mick.

Here's the link: https://sylvianvista.com/2020/03/27/new ... er-wallow/

Take care, stay safe.
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby javier on Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:08 am

Great article, really informative about the context around the album.
Thank you.
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby silentwings on Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:05 pm

Thanks javier for the feedback on the Rain Tree Crow article, it's much appreciated.

I've just published a new piece on the stunning song 'Damage' by Sylvian/Fripp from the 1993 The Road to Graceland tour.

Fantastic memories of hearing this live at the Royal Albert Hall - what better way to be introduced to a new song by a favourite artist than to hear it played live in front of you?

It was a song that made a deep impression on performers and audience alike.

Here's the link: https://sylvianvista.com/2020/04/17/damage/
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby depeon on Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:28 am

Thank you for another excellent and informative article, i do very much appreciate your effort and look forward to reading them every fortnight, i too was at the Sunday night concert at the Albert Hall, i think i still have my ticket stub and t shirt somewhere.
depeon
Fanatic
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion