I think that says it all

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

I think that says it all

Postby SomeAre on Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:02 pm

Hi,
From uncut.
https://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/interview- ... ian-106403

Dead Bees On A Cake enjoyed a welcome Record Store Day vinyl edition. But what other projects – new or archival, musical or otherwise – are you currently working on?
I’m not currently thinking about a future in the arts. To quote Sarah Kendzior from her book The View From Flyover Country, “In an article for Slate, Jessica Olien debunks the myth that originality and inventiveness are valued in U.S. society: “‘This is the thing about creativity that is rarely acknowledged: Most people don’t actually like it.’”
Read more at https://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/interview- ... EpYRhCC.99
SomeAre
Noob
Noob

Re: I think that says it all

Postby Foales Arishes on Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:53 pm

SomeAre wrote:Hi,
I’m not currently thinking about a future in the arts.

To quote Sarah Kendzior from her book The View From Flyover Country, “In an article for Slate, Jessica Olien debunks the myth that originality and inventiveness are valued in U.S. society: “‘This is the thing about creativity that is rarely acknowledged: Most people don’t actually like it.’”

Maybe David needs to get the fuck out of the U.S if that's the case... Although to be honest it all sounds like bullshit to me; exactly how are the 'arts' doing in the US?... do people not buy music, paintings, sculpture, photography, etc.?... Go to, concerts/gigs, films, plays, ballet/dance, etc.?... Even if 50 - 40% - 30% - 20% - 10% or less, acknowledged, or 'like it' then it is still valuable. For me, in this increasingly shitty world, the 'arts' are more important than ever.

Fuck you David if you think otherwise and use it an an excuse to bury your head... Unless you're off to a permaculture, forest garden, to work the land for nature and people..... then you have my blessing.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lukasgardiner on Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:16 pm

boo hoo hoo — I’ve spent my entire solo career trying my best to alienate my fans and now they won’t buy my stuff so nobody likes art and I don’t like art anymore. so no more goodies for you!

Seriously though. I find that statement to be so very odd.
lukasgardiner
Regular
Regular

Postby SomeAre on Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:05 pm

He must suffer from depression.
SomeAre
Noob
Noob

Postby Tin Bird on Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:43 am

"Fuck you David..." I can't think of a more apt response to David's statement that justifies his message. After all of these years, all of his work, all of his soul bearing, when he questions whether he has anything relevant to say or perhaps wants to live a private life away from the popular culture, he is met with this. I am ashamed to be affiliated with this forum.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Halloway on Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:08 pm

He's probably fed up with fair-weather fans who just want to him to keep churning out 'Secrets of the Beehive' ad nauseam.
Halloway
Regular
Regular

Postby Foales Arishes on Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:04 am

Tin Bird wrote:"Fuck you David..." I can't think of a more apt response to David's statement that justifies his message. After all of these years, all of his work, all of his soul bearing, when he questions whether he has anything relevant to say or perhaps wants to live a private life away from the popular culture, he is met with this. I am ashamed to be affiliated with this forum.

What!... did you not understand I was referring to his rather crass ( quoted from) comment that people don't actually like creativity?... He's not going to create anymore, because of this!!! :roll: If he wants to live a quite life then great!... if he has no further interest, or nothing left to say in creating then fine; a shame, but fine. Sorry, but, I don't believe art is no longer valued, even in the US, which is clearly experiencing a trauma right now, or anywhere else for that matter. It's more important than ever that creative people create, and not throw their arm up in the air and say fuck it... and if that's his thinking then yes, fuck him.

Anyway, as that almost certainly seems to be it and I seem to be 'shaming' the place.... So, I'll get my coat. :smt006
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:02 am

If your point is to say that art, music, culture...etc IS still valued by people in the U.S., then I certainly do agree w you. I guess I just don't understand why you would be making that point. Just because he lives in the U.S. doesn't mean that is the sole audience for his work or who he considers when creating. You know as well as I do that David creates for himself. So, he may be commenting in general about the lukewarm reception to his more challenging improvised works of late, but I think really what he is saying in typical Sylvian fashion, is that at least right now, he doesn't feel like participating in that arena. Whether it's because he has other interests, feels burned out, disillusioned...I don't know. He has taken long breaks in his career before. Think of the time between Beehive and Dead Bees. I think we will one day again hear music from him. When that will be ...who knows.
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:10 am

Tin Bird wrote:If your point is to say that art, music, culture...etc IS still valued by people in the U.S., then I certainly do agree w you. I guess I just don't understand why you would be making that point. Just because he lives in the U.S. doesn't mean that is the sole audience for his work or who he considers when creating. You know as well as I do that David creates for himself. So, he may be commenting in general about the lukewarm reception to his more challenging improvised works of late, but I think really what he is saying in typical Sylvian fashion, is that at least right now, he doesn't feel like participating in that arena. Whether it's because he has other interests, feels burned out, disillusioned...I don't know. He has taken long breaks in his career before. Think of the time between Beehive and Dead Bees. I think we will one day again hear music from him. When that will be ...who knows.

Taking that bold point: Because he seems to be making that connection (not me) and using that -possibly- as a reason to move away from the creative arts. I'm saying the opposite is, or should be, the case, that the US does still value it, and, like you state, his audience reaches many shores, where art is still very much alive and well.... So, basically I'm baffled by, and saddened, and a bit pissed-off, that he seems to be using this as a reason to shut down; if that is indeed the case?....

'Fuck him' may be harsh, although he's a big boy and can take it I'm sure ;-) ... he is simply a very frustrating person, who is way too cryptic in the way he connects (or doesn't) with those who follow and support him.

If he does consider the reaction to recent material lukewarm, and therefore another reason to get out, then again he's wrong... It's all been snapped-up and enjoyed by very many people (myself included) and reviewed well too. It's only some diehards who want him to go back thirty years, that bitch about it and give the impression it's all rubbish.

Anyway, we'll see what happens... or more likely NOT.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:19 pm

I certainly would agree that being a Sylvian fan takes patience and flexibility! ;-)
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby chlorine on Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:01 pm

A thought: how much further can DS really go with his music? He has worked with many notable people in the avant garde. His work in the popular realm is also remarkable. He could – like many of the people he has worked with – continue to refine and develop his skills in any of the areas that he has worked in, but I suspect there are no new enticing vistas for him to explore. DS is also at an age when many successful people are contemplating their retirement, if not already retired. Perhaps it will be enough for him to re-release his back catalog to ensure his retirement and enjoy his remaining years? He is a father and the prospect of watching his daughters have families is probably one he looks forward to. For men living in the US average life expectancy is approximately 78 years. Given that he has approximately another 19 or so years left, retirement may be an attractive option compared to rigors of producing and promoting new music. Regardless, he owes us no explanation or new music and what he has given is - in my opinion - astonishing and continues to please. Just a thought.
chlorine
Noob
Noob

Postby Blemished on Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:09 am

I saw that Uncut article and, to be honest, thought that was very typical DS. I was a little surprised in the sense that we'd had that email blast re-activting davidsylvian.com and suggesting new things (or maybe new old things). But he is clearly very worked up about the political situation in the U.S. (based on his twitter feed) and perhaps it's feeding into a more general disillusionment.

One frustration for me is that there is clearly music there - aborted collaborations etc. Maybe it will always remain unfinished.

To Chlorine's point, there is that question of whether DS has anywhere else to go. In his solo career, he always bounced off others to a degree - Sakamoto, Czukay, Fripp, Fennesz, Bang, Fujikura. Blemish was the one true solo work. Maybe he needs someone else to come along and relight the fire. Equally, and reflecting his incredible musical journey and output, maybe he is just spent. I look at people like Peter Gabriel struggling to release new work and think that maybe even the best reach that point.

Not really relevant, but Mark Hollis has apparently spent 2-3 years trying to design a clarinet (I think) reed so that the instrument can be played more quietly! David will have to find something to occupy himself - whether music comes again to play a part in that, who knows. I hope so. I've really enjoyed his post-Blemish era, but I always wonder if there is some mid point he could return to where he fuses his love of writing songs with avant garde sound. A Fire In The Forest was like that, and if he could put something out with 8 songs like that and then retire, that would be my idea of a perfect farewell.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby chlorine on Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:53 am

Strictly speaking, Blemish wasn't truly solo as it contained contributions by Derek Bailey and Christian Fennesz to half of the album's tracks.
chlorine
Noob
Noob

Postby Blemished on Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:38 pm

chlorine wrote:Strictly speaking, Blemish wasn't truly solo as it contained contributions by Derek Bailey and Christian Fennesz to half of the album's tracks.

Ah, yes - good point, well made. I guess I tend to think of it as being relatively solo in the sense that there are only those other contributions you mention, as opposed to the wider cast he's normally used.

Been mulling over this a bit - and just re-listening to There's a light, which i found just amazing not having heard it in a while - and wondering whether I've been in denial a bit with regards to the end of his career. He's said he's retired (albeit on deleted Twitter posts), his most recent recording efforts have come to naught, clearly has health issues of some kind and he seems to be focused on other things. Maybe it is what it is. But there is a slight bitterness to the comment from him that started this thread that is surprising and I'm not quite sure who it's aimed at or what's provoked it. I hope we hear more from him.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Tin Bird on Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:58 pm

Yeh...it is hard to say, isn't it? Trying to psychoanalyze someone that is so complicated and reclusive. He knows though...I mean he must...how loved he is...and how loved his music is. Life is hard. It is hard to maintain anything, I would imagine an "art career" that requires you to constantly put out, create, make stuff, can get demanding and difficult. Perhaps he doesn't trust his instincts anymore...of course, IDK...I miss him though...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Solo Work