Sylvian on new Sakamoto album async

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Sylvian on new Sakamoto album async

Postby karnsculpture on Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:43 am

Sylvian reads a poem on one track of the new album by Ryuichi Sakamoto, async.

The album is released in Japan today and worldwide next month.
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Sylvian on new Sakamoto album async

Postby Foales Arishes on Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:02 am

karnsculpture wrote:Sylvian reads a poem on one track of the new album by Ryuichi Sakamoto, async.

The album is released in Japan today and worldwide next month.

Thanks for that Paul. This was on my radar, but I didn't know DS had contributed to it, so that makes it all the more interesting.

Its a shame we have to wait another month for release outside of Japan :( ... Hopefully a few more snippets will appear after today. There's a 30second clip on his site, but it gives little away.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby banyan on Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:44 pm

I believe it could be Life,Life a poem by Arseny Tarkovsky.
David did a rendition of this for Sakamoto's 'Concert for Japan' in 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfFXIUI6aZ8
banyan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Foales Arishes on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:45 pm

banyan wrote:I believe it could be Life,Life a poem by Arseny Tarkovsky.
David did a rendition of this for Sakamoto's 'Concert for Japan' in 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfFXIUI6aZ8

That seems to be the case then... Sakamoto has posted a new clip of tracks from the LP each day on his site, and while thirty seconds is not really enough to get a good feel for the work, it sounds interesting enough to pre-order. I guess I will opt for the vinyl, which also has an extra track.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby javier on Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:01 am

Sylvian reading another poem - doesn't sound like anything to get excited over in the slightest.

His poems don't move me at all, it's MUSIC I want to hear!!!
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby lukasgardiner on Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:08 am

javier wrote:Sylvian reading another poem - doesn't sound like anything to get excited over in the slightest.

agreed - i love everything sylvian but the last few years have been a bit of a snooze fest - wish him best though and hoping this lull is just that
lukasgardiner
Regular
Regular

Postby missouriman on Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:57 am

javier wrote:Sylvian reading another poem - doesn't sound like anything to get excited over in the slightest.

How about buying it for it being a good piece of work that just happens to have DS on it?

I came for Sylvian and ended up ordering it because it's a lovely lovely record.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby javier on Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:03 am

missouriman wrote:How about buying it for it being a good piece of work that just happens to have DS on it?

I came for Sylvian and ended up ordering it because it's a lovely lovely record.

Sure, I'm not against buying something I like, regardless of what it might be.
Just disappointed that Sylvian's contribution isn't anything new with melody or song.
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Annoying Twit on Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:14 am

I'm looking forward to the album. I sort of lost track of Sakamoto for some years, and was sad to hear of his health problems. I don't mind if DS is only reading a poem on it, I'm sure the music will be great. As may be the poem!
Annoying Twit
Noob
Noob

Postby Foales Arishes on Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:34 pm

missouriman wrote:

How about buying it for it being a good piece of work that just happens to have DS on it?

Yes indeed!... This is not a DS release, so its of little consequence if his part is a reading, or a song, or nothing at all... I was interested in this as a RS work, and now having listened the whole LP I am happy to own it (when the physical item arrives) regardless of the content of other artists... However, I do like DS's reading, as there is something about his voice that I like, even when he is ('just') reading a poem, rather than using his full vocal range. Yes, I would like a solo release with some songs at this point, but, that takes nothing away from this release by Sakamoto, which is quite wonderful for the most part.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Tue May 09, 2017 6:56 am

Just purchased this album. Not for the DS poem/speaking aspect, but because I liked the music. Overall, there are some nice moments... a tad bit disjointed at times...I would've preferred that it stayed on the more ambient path without the occasional jarring tracks, but overall, a minimalistic, diverse, slightly experimental but enjoyable record. RS points out in the liner notes that he intentionally tried to avoid overproducing the tracks in an attempt to preserve the initial spark of an idea. A noble pursuit that mostly rewards the listener. I would give the album a 7 out of 10 rating (if I had to) :-)
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lukasgardiner on Tue May 09, 2017 4:13 pm

shouldn't this be moved to "collaborations"?
lukasgardiner
Regular
Regular

Postby Foales Arishes on Wed May 10, 2017 3:42 pm

Tin Bird wrote:Just purchased this album. Not for the DS poem/speaking aspect, but because I liked the music. Overall, there are some nice moments... a tad bit disjointed at times...I would've preferred that it stayed on the more ambient path without the occasional jarring tracks, but overall, a minimalistic, diverse, slightly experimental but enjoyable record. RS points out in the liner notes that he intentionally tried to avoid overproducing the tracks in an attempt to preserve the initial spark of an idea. A noble pursuit that mostly rewards the listener. I would give the album a 7 out of 10 rating (if I had to) :-)

I agree with everything you say about this release... and the notional score. For me the worst piece is the opening track, which comes across as slightly cheesy in its main piano refrain... its all 'good' after that, but nothing more.

lukasgardiner wrote:shouldn't this be moved to "collaborations"?

Probably, but given the amount of traffic here now, its not much of a concern. I'm longing for something to liven this place up again, but fear its not going to happen :(
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sat May 20, 2017 7:51 am

I agree. At some point the continued hope for something to return or come back to you that never will becomes an obsession rather than a casual wish or hope. I think it is well past time to accept that the DS that many (most?) of us fell in love with (musically) is gone and not coming back. As hard as it is to accept that we may never hear another Orpheus or Darkest Dreaming or Nostalgia from the man, we must realize that he is making the music that he wants to make...we are not required in any way to listen, to like it, or really to even pay attention to it. In all frankness, for me, the low point came with "Playing the Schoolhouse". There really is no justification for it's creation or release. It is literally a couple of dudes in a room rustling papers and moving furniture around with the occasional bleep thrown in to make it have some semblance of musical touch. Absolutely zero effort, craft, care, intention, expression, or reason for existing other than it can because I am an artist. Everyone is an artist so there is nothing about this recording that matters. While I continue to chime in here and there to this forum, I truly find myself less and less interested. Hard to believe that he is continuing to work with the same "improvisers" for yet another release. I mean, really, how many albums of no-input mixing board does one need? I think one is enough. Further, while Fennesz has released some interesting work in the past (Endless Summer comes to mind) and he has infused his experimental guitar sound into some interesting DS tracks in the past..Transit and A Fire in the Forest, I also find his palate rather limited as compared to say interludes from past collaborators such as Robert Fripp, Bill Nelson, Jon Hassell, and Ryuichi Sakamoto. I get it that DS is into improvising and minimalism these days, but I recall reading a book about Bill Nelson where DS offered a mild criticism of the "diaries" and "home sketch recordings" that Nelson had been releasing over the years by offering that if he (Nelson) had perhaps spent more time on the work and collaborated more with others in a nice studio, the results may have been more satisfying and significant. If only he could now take his own advice. Cheers everyone....
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lukasgardiner on Sat May 20, 2017 4:46 pm

very well said @tinbird

i hate to say this but i'd supported and understood mr. sylvan's reclusiveness and secrecy until just about a year ago - now i am finding it all hard to swallow... after all he is an artist and thus a public figure and this absolute silence is deafening. this cycle of rumours - followed by silence - followed by a release like "playing the schoolhouse" is a little hard to accept.

"art is nothing without form" and, to me, the last few releases have crept closer and closer to absolutely no form and hence no respect for the listener- my opinion of course.
lukasgardiner
Regular
Regular

Next

Return to Solo Work