Ubiquitous End of the Year Best Albums Thread is Here!

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Ubiquitous End of the Year Best Albums Thread is Here!

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:08 am

OK friends...we have reached that most wonderful moment where the great minds of the forum nominate their favorite albums of the year. Exciting times indeed have arrived! :-) Being that I have begun the discussion, I will endeavor to start us off on a strong note.

Tin Bird's Top albums of the year 2016:

1. David Bowie - Blackstar (has to be, doesn't it?)
2. Bat for Lashes - The Bride
3. Our Daughters Wedding - Moving Windows (reissue)
4. Brian Eno - The Ship
5. James - Girl at the End of the World
6. Wild Beasts - Boy King
7. The Beatles - Live at the Hollywood Bowl
8. XTC - Skylarking 30th Anniversary Definitive Edition
9. Bon Iver - 22, A Million
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Ubiquitous End of the Year Best Albums Thread is Here!

Postby Foales Arishes on Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:44 am

Great minds!... here?.... are you sure? :smt005

So for me its been a fairly quiet year for new music... I did get a record deck, so I have mostly been collecting stuff I already had on CD... I seem to remember doing to same thing but the other way around many years ago :lol:

1. Radiohead.... A Moon Shaped Pool.
2. Lou Rhodes.... Theyesandeye.
3. Agnes Obel.... Citizen of Glass.
4. Bat For Lashes.... The Bride.
5. David Bowie.... Blackstar.

There may be others, but these come to mind... The Radiohead release was fun and I still think its their best work to date.

Looking forward to DS being in next years list :D

Happy Christmas and a great New Year ahead to everyone here :D
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:39 pm

Let me second the Happy Christmas, Happy Holidays, Season's Greetings, and Merry New Year to all! :-D
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:56 am

Happy Christmas to all, and best wishes for a brilliant 2017 to all the great minds. :smt111
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:41 am

These are the 2016 releases to which I've enjoyed listening...

Infinity - Nicolas Meier
I Long To See You - Charles Lloyd & The Marvels (featuring Bill Frisell, Greg Leisz, Reuben Rogers & Eric Harland)
Emily's D+Evolution - Esperanza Spalding
Fly South - Allen Hinds
Blackstar - David Bowie
Soul Eyes - Kandace Springs
57th & 9th - Sting
Sizzle - Jeff Richman
Stranger To Stranger - Paul Simon
Hecho En Cuba - Dominic Miller
Tween - Wye Oak
The Ship - Brian Eno
Case / Lang / Veirs - Neko Case, k.d. lang, Laura Veirs
BlackSUMMERS'Night - Maxwell
Cuong Vu Trio Meets Pat Metheny - Cuong Vu Trio w/Pat Metheny
Kidsticks - Beth Orton
American Tunes - Allen Toussaint
Tender Extinction + STER1 and STER2 - Steve Jansen
More Serious Business - Jazz Funk Soul
Loud Hailer - Jeff Beck
Culcha Vulcha - Snarky Puppy

Living here in the US, I cannot feel there shall be much happiness and joy in any of these upcoming years --- the 'silent majority' and white supremacists of this nation have made certain that intolerance and ignorance will triumph over intellectualism, respect, diversity and critical thinking.
So begins another dark chapter in US history...much like the rise of the white christian terrorist Klan during the Reconstruction Era after the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation...much like the white backlash towards Civil Rights and the Voting Rights Act during the mid sixties, which resulted in the bigoted "law and order" policies of the Nixon administration...much like the Reagan administration's determination during the 80s to jail as many minorities as possible, while attempting to revert to their mythical ideal of the 1950s.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:49 pm

"Living here in the US, I cannot feel there shall be much happiness and joy in any of these upcoming years --- "

While I can understand your incredulity, I must disagree with this statement. My heart is filled with joy and happiness right now. My son was just accepted to the college of his choice, my job is going well, my health problems while still a bother have been bearable and I feel that my life is on an upswing. I feel blessed and grateful for these moments. No offense baht, but that other stuff you are going on about sounds like MSNBC prattle. Didn't vote for the dude, but I think your pronunciations are over the top.
Last edited by Tin Bird on Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:57 am

Tin Bird wrote:"Living here in the US, I cannot feel there shall be much happiness and joy in any of these upcoming years --- "

While I can understand your incredulity, I must disagree with this statement. My heart us filled with joy and happiness right now. My son was just accepted to the college of his choice, my job is going well, my health problems while still a bother have been bearable and I feel that my life is on an upswing. I feel blessed and grateful for these moments. No offense baht, but that other stuff you are going on about sounds like MSNBC prattle. Didn't vote for the dude, but I think your pronunciations are over the top.

If all that concerns one is their own personal life, then it makes perfect sense that one would express such a view and react in a manner of opposition to the comments I had made. If it is troublesome to anyone that I put the common good before my own personal happiness, then I do not take offense. I just hope that no one else would take offense from the comments I offer.
Much concern I have is not primarily for 'the dude', as you casually call him. As I believe I had made clear in my previous post, the concern is more for the "pitchforks and torches" mentality of american citizens that we've witnessed at the convention and those ralleys - this hate-filled mindset has placed this unqualified and undignified person in the most powerful role on the planet. But more importantly, one can see from the hundreds of reported incidences of hate filled intimidation and occasional physical assaults since the election took place, that these people who once felt marginalized by their twisted views are now feeling emboldened and unfortunately, quite empowered.
To expand on my initial posting, throughout the 200 plus years of this nation, whenever minorities in this country - whether determined by race, gender or sexual identity - have made strides for equality, then there always follows a coordinated undertaking to strike down those gains. Progress happens slowly and takes a lot of effort. Unfortunately, it does not take as much effort to use fear and hatred to wipe out such progress.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:23 am

"I put the common good before my own personal happiness.." Well aren't you a noble one.

"..react in a manner of opposition to the comments I had made..."

Actually, it was a nice way to say you are posting a political diatribe on a David Sylvian forum in a thread that was titled "Albums of the Year".

Why don't you post this on a Huffington Post forum where it belongs. Or at the very least let us get on with our music discussion and start your own Open Season thread called Political Discussion for the self righteous? At least then it would be easier to ignore you.
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:54 am

Ah, come of fella's... this is no way to end the year here. It has been a pretty horrible year all round, with the wider world seeming to fracture in ever more frightening and negative ways... But, despite all this positive things can and will still happen, and I think its even more important to reach out and grab them, whether its those personal/family triumphs or greater deeds we can act upon, or take solace from.

It may sound inconsequential, but love, respect and kindness are more important now then ever...

...As is music and art in what ever form it takes... so, a few more releases I have enjoyed.

Kate BushBefore the Dawn.

Richard Skelton & Autumn RichardsonEarth by Means of Currents

Lisa HanniganAt Swim

David CrosbyThe Lighthouse

I wish you all a peaceful and positive year ahead...
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:18 am

Happy New Year everyone! :smt007
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby javier on Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:25 am

As I haven't spent a great deal of time in the last year searching for new music, there are only 2 releases in 2016 which have deeply impressed me:

Blackstar - Bowie
Skeleton Tree - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

but I do also have to give a special mention to a 2015 release that I only discovered in 2016:

Sleep - Max Richter

May 2017 bring an exhilarating trip round the sun for us all!
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby skysaw on Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:44 pm

A bit late but here are my top plays for 2016.

Melanie de Biasio – Blackened Cities [PIAS]
Bon Iver – 22, A Million [Jagjaguwar]
David Bowie – Blackstar [Columbia]
Leonard Cohen – You Want It Darker [Sony]
Floating Points – Kuiper EP [Pluto]
emm gryner – Aonarán [dead daisy]
Steve Jansen – Tender Extinction [Self-Released]
Bartosz Kruczynski – Balearic Beat [Growing Bin]
Agnes Obel – Citizen Of Glass [PIAS]
Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith – EARS [Western Vinyl]
skysaw
Noob