New Sylvian release this year

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: New Sylvian release this year

Postby Foales Arishes on Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:44 pm

baht habit wrote:Being aware of the hostility of some listeners towards this piece, I have to grin when I see the acronym "PTS" being used ... :twisted:

"PTS"?... Plumbing Trade Supplies?.... Primary Teaching Services?.... The Philatelic Traders?.. No?... I'm at a loss :lol: I'm sure David could make some great sounds with a ballcock and a length of copper pipe though :P

The interview was very interesting, with MW coming across as a very nice chap... and its great for a little indy label to get such attention, even if most of its output does not interest me particularly... in fact some of it I find simply bizarre.

I do find myself surprised to say that I listen to PTS quite a bit. I often pop in my earbuds late at night and find something to lull me into state the helps me drift off to sleep (I don't mean that in a derogatory manner) and find this piece often helps reset my brain at the end of the day, despite some of the jolts and jars. There is one particular section I like, starting around 5.12 with a light atmospheric drone that runs into a blackbird singing and then some distant hammering... for me this section has a sense of place that I wish there was more of. It has also inspired me to do some work with field recording again, in combination with other textures and instruments, so overall this has had a very positive impact on me, despite my initial reaction.

Yeah baht I hear that bit of Samba rhythm now :cry: I hate bloody Samba... it seems every event in this country is not complete without a sodding Samba band banging and whistling along. Even our towns Christmas event has a Samba band ahhhhhhhhhhhhh..... if DS goes Samba I'm out!!! :smt006 :smt005

I would like to take this moment to wish everyone here (all five of you :lol: ) all the very best for the season... lets hope the forthcoming year yields some news from David; maybe a new work of some sort too.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:39 pm

PTS - Post Traumatic Stress?

That would apply to many fans after listening to it.

I like that there's a blackbird and hammering. Might have to actually buy the bloody thing now.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:50 pm

Happy Holidays. Peace to you all.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby SomeAre on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:12 am

In what world does this label think they live, no snippets, no digital download. I find this offensive and condescending really.
And now it's sold out. so we'll never hear it?.

SomeAre wrote:Hi,
Just got a feed from Confront Recordings stating that they will release material from David Sylvian in the second half of the year.

t's been a busy first half of 2015 with ten great releases already published. Remainder of the year is looking just as active with releases scheduled from Jason Kahn, James Weeks, David Sylvian, Machinefabriek, Taku Unami 10tet, Bourne/Davis/Kane, Mark Wastell Quartet, Jean-Michel Van Schouwburg & Adam Bohman, Akode, Hans Koch & Gaudenz Badrutt, Ras Moshe Burnett and Daniel Thompson & Steve Noble.
Current 2015 Releases ::
CCS 37: Bertrand Denzler & ONCEIM - Morph (2015)
CCS 38: Bertrand Denzler & Horns - Horns 1.2 (2015)
CCS 39: Ko Ishikawa / Tetuzi Akiyama / Hideo Ikegami - Live at Kissa Sasaiki (2015)
CCS 40: Ist : New York featuring John Zorn (2015)
CCS 41: Paolo Valladoid & Gary Rouzer - Directions for Viola and Cello (2015)
CCS 42: Sandy Ewen & Damon Smith - Valle de Mexico (2015)
CCS 43: Contest of (more) Pleasures - Ulrichsberg (2015) ***SOLD OUT***
CCS 44: Leif Elggren & Joachim Nordwall - Prepresence (2015)
CCS 45: Taumatrop (Ferran Fages & Eduard Márquez) - For John Ayrton Paris (2015)
CCS 46: Matilda Rolfsson / Richard Sanderson / Mark Wastell - Live at l'klectik (2015)
A gentle reminder that Confront Recordings are available via our own website, Discogs and our distributors Metamkine and Squidco Sales.
SomeAre
Noob
Noob

Postby Foales Arishes on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:36 am

SomeAre wrote:In what world does this label think they live, no snippets, no digital download. I find this offensive and condescending really.

.A better one.

.Your sense of entitlement is offensive.

The label already produced a second pressing to meet demand... I guess you're just too late to the party.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby javier on Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:52 am

Foales Arishes wrote:
SomeAre wrote:In what world does this label think they live, no snippets, no digital download. I find this offensive and condescending really.

.A better one.

.Your sense of entitlement is offensive.

The label already produced a second pressing to meet demand... I guess you're just too late to the party.

I also would love to hear PTS, but I'm not going to buy a format which I cannot listen to. Confront's approach to the release is, in my opinion, archaic. But saying that, I fully respect their right to do what they like - it's their business.

So I completely understand the sentiment regarding no digital samples or downloads. I wouldn't go so far as to call it "offensive and condescending", but I certainly am disappointed and a bit annoyed by it.
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Foales Arishes on Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:08 pm

javier wrote:I also would love to hear PTS, but I'm not going to buy a format which I cannot listen to.

Unless you live at the South Pole I'm sure you could find someone to make a copy from the CD in the digital format of your choice...no?

Yes, the label can present their artists in whatever form they like... its part of their ethos. If you don't like it then its tough luck I'm afraid.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby svendutchmountains on Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:14 pm

And now it's sold out. so we'll never hear it?.

We? Do not know about you... but I am listening to it right now!
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tin Bird on Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:36 pm

And ugh on digital downloads! Hate the dang things..they sound like crud and you get no product...Could you imagine your first interaction with Secrets of the Beehive being a downloaded file for iTunes? Yuck!
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ronc on Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:58 pm

I pre-ordered the second edition in October, and live in the UK, but have yet to receive my copy. Should I be worried? I see that some people here received their 2nd edition pre-orders as early as December 12th. I emailed Wastell yesterday and he said all pre-orders had already been shipped. Hmm. Lost in the post? A shame if so, since it cannot be replaced.
ronc

Postby javier on Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:22 pm

Foales Arishes wrote:Yes, the label can present their artists in whatever form they like... its part of their ethos. If you don't like it then its tough luck I'm afraid.

As I said, "I fully respect their right to do what they like - it's their business."

Of course it's possible to buy one and use a friend's CD drive to digitize it, so I guess my comments reveal how much I really want to hear the piece!
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby svendutchmountains on Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:06 am

ronc wrote:I pre-ordered the second edition in October, and live in the UK, but have yet to receive my copy. Should I be worried? I see that some people here received their 2nd edition pre-orders as early as December 12th. I emailed Wastell yesterday and he said all pre-orders had already been shipped. Hmm. Lost in the post? A shame if so, since it cannot be replaced.

I am in Basel, Switzerland and have yet to see my copy of the second edition arrive... however, my copy of the first edition also took ages to arrive so I am sitting tight for the moment. Given the GBP 1 in postage charged I guess these are being sent out with 2nd class post.
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tin Bird on Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:17 pm

You bought two copies?! :shock:
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby svendutchmountains on Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:08 pm

Tin Bird wrote:You bought two copies?! :shock:

Yes. One copy of the first edition, one copy of the second edition. Given they were only GBP 9 each it is not the biggest outlay I have made on David`s oeuvre :lol: So no need for the big :shock: . Being fairly compete on all the stuff David has released over the years I took a gamble that there might be a difference between the first and second editions, at least in terms of packaging... and I was right :D
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tin Bird on Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:09 pm

How is the 2nd different?
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work