24.11.14 / There's a light that enters...

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: 24.11.14 / There's a light that enters...

Postby Chad on Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:31 pm

Tin Bird wrote:Ah, I don't know...too much hyperbole for me. "piece that will challenge, defying categorization and analysis for many years to come"

I guess its his way of saying WTF? Honestly guys, these reviewers spend all their time dancing around the elephant. Its kinda fricken funny if you ask me. It sounds like shit...but it comes in nice book tho. It'll sound better in a few years I think.

I'm gonna go sit in the dark and listen to manafon now. all by myself. maybe get me some therapy... :)
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby missouriman on Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:07 pm

Rather than slag Chad off again I'll ask what he likes. What do you think is worth listening to? I know this isn't the thread for it, but nothing ventured nothing gained. 'Tis the season of goodwill afterall. :smt114
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:16 am

Chiming in, not to steal Chad's thunder, but for me my faves are: Talk Talk, Bill Nelson, David Sylvian (Billiant Trees - Dead Bees era), Devo, The Chameleons, Depeche Mode, Brian Eno, The Residents, Fad Gadget, Stephen Duffy and The Lilac Time, Kraftwerk, Echo and the Bunnymen, China Crisis, Red Box, Frazier Chorus, Laurie Anderson, The Beatles, :zoviet*france:, Foals, Wild Beasts, Patrick Wolf, Sufjan Stevens, Talking Heads, Our Daughters Wedding, Interpol, The Editors..among many others... Merry Christmas everyone!
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:23 am

Need to add: Andrew Bird, Prefab Sprout, Peter Murphy, Polyrock, XTC, The Blue Nile, Oingo Boingo, Oval, Renaldo and the Loaf, Harold Budd, John Foxx, Cluster, Hans-Joachim Roedelius, The Church, The Knack, Colleen, Jane Siberry, Telex, Icehouse, Aztec Camera/Roddy Frame, Split Enz, Human League, Associates, and The The.
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby natsume on Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:22 am

I love a lot of the stuff Tin Bird does! It is a bit of an early-eighties nostalgia list.

My tastes these days are extremely eclectic, I like Hong Kong, Thai, and Cambodian pop, Brazilian traditional and pop, Mexican traditional and pop, Japanese koto and kabuki music, Japanese contemporary and pop, Okinawan traditional and pop, Chinese classical, Scandinavian classical, Indian classical, American jazz circa 1950-1970, Kraftwerk, Eno, Sakamoto...and the next thing I find around the bend.

Whatever the hell David Sylvian's been up to for the past ten years hasn't really ruffled my feathers. In retrospect, Nine Horses and Blemish are the standouts, for me.
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:52 pm

Love Nine Horses too! :-)
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:23 am

...and more... Stina Nordenstam, Suburban Lawns, John Cage, Blancmange, The Buggles, Japan, Yellow Magic Orchestra, James, Paul Banks, World Party, Guadalcanal Diary, Balloon, Hipsway, Sparks, Bed, Hood, Bloc Party, The Durutti Column, Snowmine, Late of the Pier, Like a Stuntman, Stubborn Heart...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:08 pm

As this is the only really active thread currently I thought I would use it to say Happy Christmas and may the New Year be a good one for everyone here.

Lets hope we get some activity from David in the coming year, even if it is something that divides opinion, and gets us talking once again (which I guess is going to be the case whatever he does)... I'm hoping that Chris Bigg book sees the light of day.

Have a good one... one and all :D

This is the message (quoted from Jürgen Habermas) from David this Christmas.

"Among modern societies, only those that are able to introduce into the secular domain the essential contents of their religious traditions which point beyond the merely human realm will also be able to rescue the substance of the human"..
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby natsume on Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:41 am

Wishing all a Season's Best, from Tijuana, Mexico!
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lukasgardiner on Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:54 am

I for one have been very moved by "there's a light..."

it has, from the very first listen, become my favourite sylvian long-form piece

anyhoo - here's to an exciting 2015 for sylvian fans (we hope!) and happy holidays to all on here - love the great discussions

lukas
Last edited by lukasgardiner on Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lukasgardiner
Regular
Regular

Postby Tin Bird on Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:44 pm

Why can't people love instead of hate? Why is it so hard? Wising for more love, understanding, compassion, forgiveness, and peace in 2015.
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:48 pm

lukasgardiner wrote:I for one have been very moved by "there's a light..."
it has, from the very first listen, become my favourite sylvian long-form piece

It has indeed touched some soft spot in me, too, and it is something I love going back to. Like the "Do you know me now?" single.
I think that with these two works DS has maybe found a better path to follow the direction he took with "Blemish", and now, leaving aside how I feel about it, I see "Manafon" as a necessary failure.
There can be no doubt that Sylvian is not an 'abstract' artist, i.e. he'll never release a record of him yelling out the alphabet. He needs to work around fixed structures, even when deranging them. With "Manafon", though, the idea was to try to find a structure in something that had none (the improv sessions). An idea that surely thrilled him at the start, but my opinion is that the experience has not produced the sparks he was hoping for. But it wasn't useless.
With "There's a light..." (and the Kilowatt Hour project) and "Do you know me now?", but basically with everything he's dome since 2010, he's gone back to working the old way: asking musicians to contribute to something that has already been precisely outlined, although allowing them to work with more freedom than before, and even go beyond the outlines (the sort of thing that happened with the Derek Bailey tracks on "Blemish"). But if something goes too far (in the sense of an unwelcome direction, a wrong turn) he can still put it back in the right track.
After all, you can't say to someone that's improvising over nothing that he's hit a bum note. "What you saying, dude?!? Out of key? WHAT key?"

Merry Christmas to all, and a happy, truly happy 2015.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Haldeman Gracie on Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:21 am

Does anyone know anything about the last 90 seconds?

It sounds nothing like Sylvian at all, and in a very particular style that you could almost date it, but no one else is credited with writing or performing that section.
Haldeman Gracie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby inkinthewell on Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:57 am

The only indication on Samadhisound is "some samples from prior sessions with Otomo (Yoshihide)". For "Manafon" Otomo Yoshihide used "snippets of classical vinyl", but the origin of the snippets was never specified, nor, as far as I know, has anybody recognized them.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lukasgardiner on Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:19 am

Haldeman Gracie wrote:Does anyone know anything about the last 90 seconds?

It sounds nothing like Sylvian at all, and in a very particular style that you could almost date it, but no one else is credited with writing or performing that section.

Shazam says this is "String Quartet (1905)" by the Emerson String Quartet
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/strin ... =251828046
lukasgardiner
Regular
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work