24.11.14 / There's a light that enters...

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: 24.11.14 / There's a light that enters...

Postby Simonp on Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:17 am

Don't encourage him.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:58 am

afternoonfix wrote:
Chad wrote:Hey hey my my...its better to burn out than it is to rust. Maybe Mark Hollis got it right.

:)

nice one

I can't see the rust, though. I've been listening regularly to There's A Light That Enters... and, although it is tough (as most, if not all, of David's work is), I find it entertaining and engaging. A step or two forwards from Manafon.
And Franz Wright's voice is affecting, but that may be due to the memories of the live event.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:34 am

IMO, his recent music is neither engaging or entertaining. It's a complete turn off for many. All he's doing now is damaging his reputation. He'd be better off doing nothing at this point.
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Simonp on Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:11 am

We know what your opinion is Chad...you've been voicing it ad infinitum whenever someone posts something positive about Sylvian. Damaging his reputation? I'd hardly say such a positive review from The Sunday Times is damaging for a non mainstream artist such as Sylvian

I don't know where you find the energy to be so negative about an artist you clearly don't enjoy listening to anymore. I know I get tired just reading your posts everyday.
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:04 pm

Chad wrote:All he's doing now is damaging his reputation. He'd be better off doing nothing at this point.

What reputation is he damaging? For the hardy few that are still with him - or have discovered him more recently - this record surely fits what you would expect. Unconventional, challenging, always changing..his ballad days were only ever a part of the picture.

And if he had done a Mr Hollis (who I am very reliably informed has no musical ambition left) and stopped in the late 1990s - after being dropped by Virgin say - then think of what we would have lost:

A fire in the forest, transit, the world is everything, where's your gravity, I should not dare, wonderful world - and that's picking only the ones you might like.

David's career might have looked even more perfectly Hollis-like if he had stopped after Rain Tree Crow or SOTB even but what a pity that would have been. Mark H has not lost his gift - listen to that brief ARB section one piece. But we will probably never hear his compositions or hear him sing ever again. Seems tragic to me.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Foales Arishes on Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:10 am

All perfectly put Blemished :-)

I think his reputation is quite intact as far as I can see, and he is producing work across mediums that’s is interesting, thought provoking and clearly in demand. I don't like all of it, and that is the same for any artist I follow.. I would hate them to keep ploughing the same furrow, and that goes for my own life and work too; you have to keep challenging yourself, and let yourself be challenged by others... Its very easy to become bored otherwise, and worse still become a bore to those around you.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:37 am

I think he's more respected now as an artist than he's ever been. He's finally shed the pretty boy image that's hung around his neck like an albatross over the years and now the focus is on the work, his working methods, his collaborators, and his desire to never tread old ground. It's really interesting to note so while many people berate his most recent work given that it's not THAT unlike his earlier forays into this territory (Plight & Premonition, Flux etc). While I may not like enjoy everything he releases these days as much as Gone To Earth you have to admire him for constantly trying to create something new. I often wonder what he would've presented to us on the Implausible Beauty tour given the line up and lack of drummer. Personally I think it would've been something quite special. There's only so many times I need to hear Orpheus performed live.
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:41 am

from my perspective... he has a new reputation for creating unlistenable records. and very expensive ones at that. tell me this, when was the last time you sat and listened to this stuff with friend? when was the last time you recommended his (new) work to anyone? a sunday times article will never fix that simon. its just really sad and embarrassing to watch him go out like this.
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby missouriman on Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:00 pm

Chad wrote:from my perspective... he has a new reputation for creating unlistenable records. and very expensive ones at that. tell me this, when was the last time you sat and listened to this stuff with friend? when was the last time you recommended his (new) work to anyone? a sunday times article will never fix that simon. its just really sad and embarrassing to watch him go out like this.

Listening with a friend? Hilarious.

If you are sad and embarrassed, Chad I'd recommend therapy. You have issues, that much is certain.

This music has been on in my house every day since I downloaded it. I even play it in the car. Not sure why I love it so much, but it really has connected. I don't feel sad or embarrassed either. And I recommended it to a former Sylvian fan and she loved it. Chad seems to have a mission to upset people because he feels slighted by Sylvian. Maybe he needs to find that special friend and he'll feel better?
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby svendutchmountains on Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:15 pm

To be honest - Chad has a point in that Sylvian`s new oeuvre is an acquired taste... Improv is not for everyone and I for one had to take some time and effort to get into Manafon. I love it now but my initial reaction was not immediately favourable. Some of David`s releases I`ve bought, listened to a few times and then packed away (Naoshima, Uncommon Deities etc).

"Houses" I really like and am starting to get quite attached to - but I need not play it in the house without my headphones and I have lent it to two friends who have given it back relatively quickly saying it was not for them...
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Foales Arishes on Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:30 pm

Blimy, we are going around in circles here.. no one has said this release, or other recent work is anything other than an acquired taste; this stuff is far from the mainstream, or easy listening. However, sad little Chad somehow thinks his constant repetition of the same old bull will make us all 'see the light' and stop us from buying these works, which will have the knock on affect of forcing DS to return to the sort of material Chad feels is more worthy. Its pathetic, childish, and really-really boring... time to give up the crusade, which really IS sad and embarrassing to watch :lol:

Yes, I would recommend this, and other releases to those I thought would be interested.... that means those with an open mind, and an interest in different genres.. so, maybe not my teenage niece :twisted:
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:31 pm

Foales...the voice of reason!
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:37 pm

Chad wrote:from my perspective... he has a new reputation for creating unlistenable records. and very expensive ones at that. tell me this, when was the last time you sat and listened to this stuff with friend? when was the last time you recommended his (new) work to anyone? a sunday times article will never fix that simon. its just really sad and embarrassing to watch him go out like this.

Yeh from YOUR perspective, no one else's or certainly not the majority of folk who come on here to have civilised non confrontational and antagonist discussion about the musical direction has chosen.

Expensive ones at that? Weren't you the person that suggested that Sylvian no longer has the luxury of his own studio or the recording budgets hence his need to record on laptops?

I don't listen to music with anybody. I listen to music for personal enjoyment only. I can't imagine sitting ina room with friends all listening to Plight &Premonition while staring at each other

It wouldn't matter if every paper in the world gave this album a glowing review Chad. You'd still come up with the same tiresome response.

I like the music David is producing now, if you don't like the fact I have different musical tastes than you then there's nothing I can do to change that, but tough
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:38 pm

svendutchmountains wrote:To be honest - Chad has a point in that Sylvian`s new oeuvre is an acquired taste... Improv is not for everyone and I for one had to take some time and effort to get into Manafon. I love it now but my initial reaction was not immediately favourable. Some of David`s releases I`ve bought, listened to a few times and then packed away (Naoshima, Uncommon Deities etc).

"Houses" I really like and am starting to get quite attached to - but I need not play it in the house without my headphones and I have lent it to two friends who have given it back relatively quickly saying it was not for them...

Chad is NOT saying Sylvian's new music is an acquired taste. He's saying its sh*t. There's a difference.
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:47 pm

I spoke to Stephan by email and he was very oblique about not being part of the new release citing differences in working methods as the reason they'd parted ways. I suspect there's clearly been a falling out hence the removal of Wandermude from the samadhi site but I guess we'll never know the real reason
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work