I don't know if he is a troll. I just know he's extremely predictable
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: The Kilowatt Hour to be released?

Postby Chad on Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:36 pm

yeah whatever...

but seriously guys, he needs to start using his voice again and knock those cobwebs down. start singing from the heart not the head. it is his best asset. use it or lose it, as they say
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby kitaj on Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:26 pm

Chad has a point. everyone could apply it differently depending on one's angle, but there's a point there.
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Simonp on Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:42 am

he may have a point but there's no need to repeat the same point over and over and over and over again.....
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby hitch on Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:30 am

....over and over and over and over again.....
Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
hitch
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby svendutchmountains on Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:39 am

hitch wrote:....over and over and over and over again.....

I guess he is a bit comparable to that stingy, nagging old aunt you always meet on birthdays, moaning about how life was always better before the war!

However, there is also some (small) comfort in the predictability of his opinion - let`s face it: you would miss him if he wasn`t there :lol: You all would be complaining how monotonous life was because everyone had the same opinion!
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby javier on Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:21 pm

I'm with Chad on this one.

Admittedly I only saw/heard the Kilowatt Hour material which was online, but honestly speaking I found it nothing even vaguely groundbreaking nor compelling to listen to. To me it seems to go over the same ground as material previously released/performed in recent years.

This freeform/improvised style I too find tiresome, and goes all the way back to the vastly superior and more engaging When Loud Weather Buffeted Naoshima. And it doesn't begin to compare to the deep, haunting Sylvian/Czukay instrumentals.
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Chad on Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:17 am

hitch wrote:....over and over and over and over again.....

And you and Simon keep putting lipstick on the pig. Guys I admire your loyalty but only to a point. We all know he can deliver the goods. So why continue down the path of mediocre?
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Simonp on Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:36 am

I'm not being loyal Chad. I haven't liked a lot of his recent work. i just don't keep banging on about it everytime I appear on the forum..yeh he may be able to deliver "the goods" as you put it but we know those "goods" don't interest him anymore. Coming on to the forums and saying the same crap about his latest work time and time again is just dull.
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby svendutchmountains on Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:15 pm

javier wrote:I'm with Chad on this one.

Admittedly I only saw/heard the Kilowatt Hour material which was online, but honestly speaking I found it nothing even vaguely groundbreaking nor compelling to listen to. To me it seems to go over the same ground as material previously released/performed in recent years.

This freeform/improvised style I too find tiresome, and goes all the way back to the vastly superior and more engaging When Loud Weather Buffeted Naoshima. And it doesn't begin to compare to the deep, haunting Sylvian/Czukay instrumentals.

Interesting actually - it shows how people differ: Plight & Premonition I played to death when it was first released but now sadly only gets a hearing once every blue moon. Same for Alchemy and Words from the Shaman. I still love those albums. Flux, Stigma, Naoshima and Wandermude only got an incidental listening from me. Bought them, listened to them and stored them. What gripped me with TKH was the combination of Frank Wright`s narrative and the soundscape below/amongst it. It attracted me in a way Naoshima etc never did. Will be interesting to hear how a possible CD version compares with my memory.
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby missouriman on Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:56 pm

David said once he has performed something live on stage he loses interest in actually recording the work eg. "Wasn't I Joe?".

So why the interest in TKW? I'd agree though that Franz Wright deserves an outing for us all to be able to hear.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:05 am

missouriman wrote:David said once he has performed something live on stage he loses interest in actually recording the work eg. "Wasn't I Joe?".

So why the interest in TKW? I'd agree though that Franz Wright deserves an outing for us all to be able to hear.

Really interesting question that. As you say, there's been a lot of good material that was played live but never properly recorded. I don't know if the fact that they were largely songs and this is instrumental work makes any difference to David? Perhaps also the fact that he's gained a lot from Franz Wright's poetry and feels that he owes it to him to make something of the recordings of his readings is playing a big part in this.

In some ways, I would rather be able to listen to the Punkt version of Plight and Premonition, but I guess that will never happen

More generally, I've always found it interesting that he's someone who's never seemed to refine songs on the basis of playing them live - quite the opposite to lots of musicians - Radiohead are a good example - who deliberately "tour" material to help prepare for studio recording. Maybe that's more important for band material.

svendutchmountains wrote:nteresting actually - it shows how people differ: Plight & Premonition I played to death when it was first released but now sadly only gets a hearing once every blue moon. Same for Alchemy and Words from the Shaman. I still love those albums.

Sounds very similar to my experience. 'When we return, you won't recognise us' is one of the more recent instrumental pieces that I've listened to quite a lot and really like. For most of the others, I'm the same as you - listen once or twice - but can't find anything to draw me back in repeatedly. Wandermude especially I found hard to enjoy. Shorter, sharper tracks included on the vocal albums - like Trauma, for example - are often far more enjoyable.

So, I'll be interested to hear TKH if / when it comes, but only to a degree.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Tin Bird on Thu May 01, 2014 6:51 am

Plight has always been a mainstay for me. However, many of the other experimental tracks have been like that for me as well...esp. the newer stuff. I did like Mothlight though and the ambient tracks on Gone to Earth...so, it depends. Naoshima didn't do much for me...liked the sounds but not as interesting as Plight. Trauma just seemed like the first track on Blemish minus vocals... I loved Blemish as a whole...esp. Fire in the Forest, and had no problem w Manafon in theory. Just wish he would incorporate the electronics into songs again rather than free association improv...just my two cents again.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Previous

Return to Collaborations