Footage of the Brilliant Trees recording sessions in Berlin!

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Footage of the Brilliant Trees recording sessions in Berlin!

Postby hitch on Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:38 pm

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
hitch
Obsessed
Obsessed

Re: Footage of the Brilliant Trees recording sessions in Berlin!

Postby Quiet Visitor on Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:35 pm

That was nice. Thanks for sharing. Maybe a bit strange so see the mixing desk and instruments in the same room.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:55 pm

..and now Steve has posted 'part 2' with Ryuichi

http://sleepyard.tumblr.com/post/765268 ... -featuring
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:22 pm

Glorious.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:31 pm

Quiet Visitor wrote:Maybe a bit strange so see the mixing desk and instruments in the same room.

I don't know if this is at all connected, but I recall David recounting some experiences at the Hansa studio in a 2001 Q&A for Gerrit's Trophies site, mentioning a basement, faulty wiring, and altogether less than luxurious surroundings. :-)
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby svendutchmountains on Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:06 am

I remember those mid '90 days when recorded snippets of outtakes were being sold for quite high prices by some. I've got some CD-R's with a bunch of these, including soundchecks. It's great that now the artists themselves are putting some of this online themselves! Would have saved me a ton of money back then!
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby svendutchmountains on Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:29 am

Just took some time to scroll through all of David's tumblr pages. Quite impressive! 30 pages currently with a lot of new photographs. The site seems to have been launched Sept 27th last year. Funny how it seems to have just slipped through. I don't recall seeing the page being mentioned until the Red Guitar video was posted... Or did I miss something?
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby silentwings on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:12 am

I agree, Sven- I had thought it was a fan site, but seems now it is more official.

Steve's Tumblr - sleepyard - is also fascinating, here's an entry he made in answer to a question about the 'Words with the Shaman' recording sessions:

'Q: hello Steve. I've always wanted to ask you about your drums/perc setup for Words with the Shaman as those are among the strangest and most evocative drum sounds and patterns I've heard. would you care to recount what materials you used for drums, hihat, sticks etc. as they sound nothing like a conventional kit? any particular memory from composing/recording that suite? I hope you appreciate asking this. thanks for everything so far and best for the future. Max

A: I remember it was an amalgamation of all kinds of percussion as well as a regular drum kit. It was reco[r]ded piecemeal which perhaps explains why the patte[r]ns sound less commonplace. The main rhythm pattern from part 1 and into part 2 was played with fingers on a large drum, extremely close mic’d. In part 2 the high end sounds are wire brushes on metal objects, (probably chinese cymbals stacked on the floor) and that’s a regular snare drum that has the snare (snap) off. Part 3 incorporates log drums and cymbals. I don’t have a particular memory from recording those tracks except that I spent a lot of time exploring ideas on my knees!'
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:33 am

that's my question :D I felt like I've found the Holy Grail :idea: thanks Steve.
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Chad on Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:27 am

It looks like we're not the only ones reminiscing. Well guys ... get on with it already.

That Wayne Braithwaite was an amazing bass player. He died way too young.
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby inkinthewell on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:03 pm

Chad wrote:That Wayne Braithwaite was an amazing bass player. He died way too young.

Indeed. :(
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:14 pm

Chad wrote:It looks like we're not the only ones reminiscing. Well guys ... get on with it already.

for me personally, a reunion (obviously, if that's what you're hinting at, Chad) would be too late, and it's not just a line-up reason. Mick was the dark opal, the Mediterranean element to the others' musical whiteness so to speak. he was also the mad joker, in more ways than one. without him in the picture, the chemistry is unbalanced. that's why I'm not crazy about Nine Horses for example. also, I have an intuition that Rich and David are currently as far away as they've ever been as far as musical tastes go. Steve is the only one who might play with all the others in my estimation.

as to the two tumblrs, my money is on Steve obviously curating his own, but I don't think David (true to form) comes near his own. I suppose it's Adrian from the management - it's a nice way of keeping the interest alive while David is incubation.

and I, too, think he's mainly back in London now.
Last edited by kitaj on Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Chad on Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:45 pm

kitaj wrote:for me personally, a reunion (obviously, if that's what you're hinting at, Chad) would be too late

Having David actively working with Steve again is what I was referring to...

kitaj wrote: Mick was the dark opal, the Mediterranean element to the others' musical whiteness so to speak. he was also the mad joker, in more ways than one. without him in the picture, the chemistry is unbalanced. that's why I'm not crazy about Nine Horses for example

I miss Mick too but I have to say that the Nine Horses project is far and above anything David has done since SotBH. Hands down.

kitaj wrote:also I have an intuition that Rich and David are currently as far away as they've ever been as far as musical tastes go.

Have you heard the Barbeiri/Hogarth record? You should...

kitaj wrote:but I don't think David (true to form) comes near his own.

Did you see that selfie of David in the car? That looks like the real thing to me.

kitaj wrote:and I, too, think he's mainly back in London now.

thank god for miracles...
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Gabzi Nemo on Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:36 pm

Since the old links don't work anymore, I'm posting some links that are functional.

Here's the one where Wayne Braithwaite is overdubbing on Red Guitar: https://videopress.com/v/XClV4Lb8

Sakamoto working on the Forbidden Colours Piano Arrangement: https://videopress.com/v/KRQ2ot1q

I found these on Jansen's WordPress site if you're wondering :wink:
{Insert life-changing mantra here}
Gabzi Nemo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby javier on Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:06 pm

Thanks for keeping the links updated :-)
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Next

Return to Solo Work