Tim Bowness/Peter Chilvers: California, Norfolk

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Tim Bowness/Peter Chilvers: California, Norfolk

Postby Quiet Visitor on Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:19 am

At the same moment Burning Shed re-released Steve Jansen's "Slope", the label published a fine new edition of the Tim Bowness/Peter Chilvers-album "California, Norfolk", originally released in 2002 but long OOP. Maybe this will be followed by the Bowness/Richard Barbieri-CD "Flame".
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Tim Bowness/Peter Chilvers: California, Norfolk

Postby inkinthewell on Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:29 am

Quiet Visitor wrote:Maybe this will be followed by the Bowness/Richard Barbieri-CD "Flame".

Keeping my fingers crossed. :D
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:58 am

Have to say...never cared for Bowness singing. Overly mannered, overly precious...and I found the music too derivative of Sylvian, Talk Talk, and Jansen/Barbieri...had the Flame cd way back when it came out..on One Little Indian if I"m not mistaken. Sold it cause I just did not care for it. Read all the hyperbole about No Man...etc thought they were second rate. My two cents anyway... :|
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:32 am

I always thought it was funny people always compared Tim's voice with David. When I first heard his music, it reminded me very much of the late Duncan Browne.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:44 pm

Never heard of Duncan Browne, so couldn't compare...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:29 am

Tin Bird wrote:Never heard of Duncan Browne, so couldn't compare...

In case you're interested, here's a fine tribute-site: http://www.insyncnet.com/duncan/

Duncan Browne started as a gifted singer-songwriter. Later on in the seventies he formed Metro, which album has quite some similarities with Japan's "Quiet Life". The music is a bit in the vein of Roxy Music. Two young musicians were partly responsible for the sound: bass-player John Giblin and drummer Simon Phillips. They were also playing on Duncan's two albums after the split of Metro: "The Wild Places" (which included a hugh hit in a couple of countries) and "Streets Of Fire".
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:48 am

Thanks for sharing. I hear the Bowness similarity. I suppose I think of Sylvian because of the music surrounding it and the lyrics. I know a lot of folks really liked No Man... thought they were OK, but just not all that original. To each his own.. ;-)
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby swordofdestiny on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:52 am

Later covered by Bowie on Let's Dance.

http://youtu.be/fPLkzskWmq8
swordofdestiny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby inkinthewell on Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:11 pm

Quiet Visitor wrote:At the same moment Burning Shed re-released Steve Jansen's "Slope", the label published a fine new edition of the Tim Bowness/Peter Chilvers-album "California, Norfolk"[/url], originally released in 2002 but long OOP.

Hadn't got this back in 2002, so it's a first time listen for me, and I'm enjoying it.
I know what Tin Bird means with his description of Tim Bowness's singing, and I sort of felt the same when I started listening the No-Man albums because of Steve, Mick and Rich. But, over time, he has won me over. He's not my favourite singer, mind you, but I appreciate his work.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:37 pm

inkinthewell wrote:Hadn't got this back in 2002, so it's a first time listen for me, and I'm enjoying it.
I know what Tin Bird means with his description of Tim Bowness's singing, and I sort of felt the same when I started listening the No-Man albums because of Steve, Mick and Rich. But, over time, he has won me over. He's not my favourite singer, mind you, but I appreciate his work.

I didn't buy the album back then either, so it's great the album is available again AND has been updated with a lot of extra's.
I also started listening to No-Man because of the Japan-members and there were times I didn't like Tim's voice. But that happened to me with David too for a while. Especially when I fell in love I found some of his music too depressed :oops: Well, over the years (in which I'm still in love) I re-learned to love his voice.
As I'm also a fan of the music of the late singer-songwriter Nick Drake it was a suprise when Tim recorded a couple of his tracks.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:13 am

Tim Bowness will release a new solo-album later this month, Abandoned Dancehall Dreams. The second disc will contain a remix from Richard Barbieri.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:51 am

Here's a good recent interview with Tim Bowness: http://www.innerviews.org/inner/bowness2.html
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Open Season