Just wondering...

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Just wondering...

Postby Fire Rose 45 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:17 am

why Rob Dean's name isn't included in the list of band members at the top of the page? He was part of Japan, too. :-)
"The question that sometimes makes me hazy... am I or the others crazy?" -- Albert Einstein

"This band is perfect - just don't scratch the surface." -- Duran Duran
Fire Rose 45
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Just wondering...

Postby karnsculpture on Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:15 am

Good point, he was there on the previous version of the website.
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Stephenf on Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:45 am

Fire Rose 45 wrote:why Rob Dean's name isn't included in the list of band members at the top of the page? He was part of Japan, too. :-)

I agree..
Stephenf
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby inkinthewell on Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:07 pm

Stephenf wrote:
Fire Rose 45 wrote:why Rob Dean's name isn't included in the list of band members at the top of the page? He was part of Japan, too. :-)

I agree..

Absolutely.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:05 pm

:!:
Last edited by missouriman on Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Stephenf on Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:11 pm

missouriman wrote:DULLEST THREAD IN RECENT MEMORY HERE AT JAPANSYLVIAN.COM...

Is it not better to just think it rather than having the need to say something negative.

It was only an observation that was worth pointing out and not a thread to stimulate your quite obvious fabulous intellect.
Stephenf
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby missouriman on Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:45 pm

:arrow:
Last edited by missouriman on Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:42 pm

Ok, well it was my doing. No offence intended - just wanted to give the site a minor facelift after I took it over to smarten it up and make it more reflective of current projects. Having Rob on there didn't cross my mind at the time.

I must admit that I don't tend to think of him as a core member of Japan - he wasn't there at the beginning, at the end or for Rain Tree Crow. More to the point, he abandoned his musical career long ago, unlike the others. I tend to think of this site as being primarily about ongoing activities of the ex-members, rather than focusing on the past.

But the site is for everyone and all their various interests in the music, so - if people strongly about it - I will change it as soon as I get the chance.

Blemished
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Fire Rose 45 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:58 pm

I vote yes. He chose a different path, but has done some music, and lives in Costa Rica where he has become an authority on birds, as well as an author and painter. I still say he was an important member of Japan, and should be included. And I agree with Chad that the artwork should be balanced between all the members of the band instead of being focused on David. Thanks.
Last edited by Fire Rose 45 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fire Rose 45
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Chad on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:24 pm

I actually remember back when David suddenly fancied himself as a guitar player forcing Rob out. The best solos still belong to Rob... he cant take those away. Rob's still active - just google him.

It would be nice if the site artwork were more balanced amongst all the members too
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:41 am

Blemished wrote:Ok, well it was my doing. No offence intended - just wanted to give the site a minor facelift after I took it over to smarten it up and make it more reflective of current projects.
Blemished

I would find such an approach to be appropriate.
And highly preferable.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Stephenf on Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:26 pm

baht habit wrote:
Blemished wrote:Ok, well it was my doing. No offence intended - just wanted to give the site a minor facelift after I took it over to smarten it up and make it more reflective of current projects.
Blemished

And highly preferable.

Well I'm just flabbergasted at the above response, i don't mean to offend here but surely this site was created not only to be informed of current projects but also as a means to keep the spirit of the past very much alive for all members of the group.
Rob Dean might not be relevant today but he was at one stage and does that mean we apply the same criteria to Mick Karn, of which i say with the greatest respect.

How 'baht' you can say you "would find such an approach to be appropriate" and "highly preferable" is an insult to the past, an insult to former members of 'Japan' and an insult to the majority of us on this site that have shown loyalty over a 35 year span.

Or maybe you would just prefer it if we renamed the site Sylvian.com
Stephenf
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby missouriman on Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:31 pm

:arrow:
Last edited by missouriman on Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:04 pm

Stephenf wrote:
baht habit wrote:
Blemished wrote:
And highly preferable.

Well I'm just flabbergasted at the above response, i don't mean to offend here but surely this site was created not only to be informed of current projects but also as a means to keep the spirit of the past very much alive for all members of the group.

How 'baht' you can say you "would find such an approach to be appropriate" and "highly preferable" is an insult to the past, an insult to former members of 'Japan' and an insult to the majority of us on this site that have shown loyalty over a 35 year span.
Or maybe you would just prefer it if we renamed the site Sylvian.com

I won't be offended. I am actually sorry if an honest response flabbergasted and insulted you or any other member. My comment was meant only to show solidarity with Blemished, who seems to be focused on current events rather than dwell in the past. I feel Blemished has also brought about a mature sense of decorum by removing the photos from the front page - especially by changing the photo at the bottom of the page next to which registered users are currently logged on to the website.
I merely appreciate the austerity of the design. From my point of view, such omissions could possibly give the appearance of a serious discussion forum rather than the common fan page. And so I just wanted to be as brief as possible while expressing appreciation towards the site alterations that Blemish has so far come up with. I didn't intend to flabbergast or insult anyone.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:40 am

missouriman wrote:I really have a good laugh to see certain individuals get their knickers all twisted about a band that quit 32 years ago. It's nostalgia at best and should be kept in check. I LOVED Japan, but I know Sylvian is the only one who really matters now with a bit of Steve Jansen here and there. Barbieri's career is prog rock nonsense and Karn is dead. Rob Dean draws birds.

nonsense... both Steve & Richards current work blow the doors off what Davids doing right now. And the complete disregard for Mick puts you on the total assh0le list.
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Next

Return to General Discussion