New installation project in Japan

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: New installation project in Japan

Postby silentwings on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:34 am

David's new post on facebook seems to clarify that his contribution is more as curator, so I now believe the soundscape is in fact by Taylor Deupree, rather than by David himself as the Setouchi website perhaps implies. Interesting that David will be exhibiting photos in Tokyo as well as on Uno.

Nevertheless, great to see David involved and creatively active, the festival looks fascinating from the information available.

If anyone knows more, please do post to clarify.

Here is the facebook update:
"David acted as curator for the current art festival in the so called 'ghost town' of Uno, a port which has fallen on hard times, as part of the Setuochi Triennale Art festival. Composer, designer, photographer and label owner (12k) Taylor Deupree has provided a unique composition for the event available for rent or purchase on the rather attractive medium of the audio button (limited edition). Photographer Araki has created a series of arresting billboards for the port itself. Over the summer David will be holding photographic exhibits simultaneously in Uno and Tokyo which will go by the duel names of abandon / hope. more details to come."
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:57 pm

The setouchi website has been updated with details of David's 'abandon/hope' exhibit:

http://aqclient.com/en/artwork/a156
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:06 pm

There's also this about the Sylvian/Araki project (write a158 instead of a156 at end of the link posted by silentwings to see the page):
"Photos in the City Project
Photographers create works in vacant stores in the shopping arcade. The collaboration between Nobuyoshi Araki and David Sylvian also promises to be interesting."
Last edited by inkinthewell on Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:24 pm

inkinthewell wrote:The collaboration between Nobuyoshi Araki and David Sylvian also promises to be interesting.

To say the least. The description 'interesting' might be the understatement of the year. The collaboration is definitely going to promise "something" -- and unless Araki fully abstains from the visual stimuli he commonly focuses his camera on, it very well may result in content which some may consider to be very shocking. Being fully ignorant of what this particular photographer is all about and just going by a cursory search of his work, I'd assume that his style and Sylvian's style would appear on the surface to be quite disparate - and that even a stylistic meeting in the middle-ground would most likely still be a daring risk. It will be 'interesting'. It may be 'still life bound in rope' :twisted:
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:51 am

Baht mentioned that not everyone here is on facebook and sees David's posts there. Occasionally he posts a comment in the stream of comments below one of the main postings. The post regarding the uno exhibition has a picture of an article, presumably the Setouchi brochure. In the article headline is the following quotation:

" 'To live without hope is to live in the present.' I like the state of hopelessness. Hope really does tend to get in the way. It takes you out of the present towards an ideal. To live without hope but without a loss of live for life - that's a great starting place it seems to me. david sylvian".

This prompted various comments, and David then posted the following in the comments section:

"To limit the interpretation of this quotation to the power of hope would indicate that all the efforts are based on a desired outcome rather than the quality of the observation and the action itself. To act for the betterment of others without attachment to the desired outcome is right action. No hope required. I don't say this is easy, we're programmed to live in a state of hopefulness, taking one out of the present, focusing instead on an unspecified, but implied 'better' future. I'm only suggesting that this can lead to, among other things, disillusionment whereas right action taken for its own sake without attachment to the outcome keeps one in the present moment, an abiding with things as they are and working effectively in the 'now', whilst avoiding projecting onto others and desired outcomes."

I thought this was a very interesting line of thought, and worthy of sharing with those here who might not have seen it. I certainly spent many years working towards the future but missing the enjoyment of the present. There is so much to enjoy in the 'here and now'.
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:35 am

Thanks silentwings.
I am on the same wavelength with Dave on this one. 'To live without hope', where 'without hope' is not a negative 'hopelessness equals desperation', but simply IS NOT-'i'm doing this hoping that'.

I hope ( :smt053 ) this makes sense to others as it does to me.
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:32 pm

Taylor Deupree just tweeted that he'd received a visit from David today. Presumably it must be to do with the exhibition, although it could also relate to the material that TD recorded with Sakamoto for David.

taylordeupree ‏@taylordeupree
such a lovely visit with david sylvian today! @dsylvian too short!
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby natsume on Wed May 08, 2013 7:41 pm

"...truth is inconvenient.
For those who want something to hold onto, life is even more inconvenient....We're all addicted to hope - hope that the doubt and mystery will go away. This addiction has a painful effect on society: a society based on lots of people addicted to getting ground under their feet is not a very compassionate place.

Begin the journey without hope of getting ground under your feet. Begin with hopelessness."

Pema Chodron - When Things Fall Apart pp. 40-43
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby natsume on Wed May 08, 2013 7:47 pm

"Hope is an orientation of the spirit, an orientation of the heart; it transcends the world that is immediately experienced, and it is anchored somewhere beyond its horizons...It is not the conviction that something will turn out well, but the certainty that something makes sense, regardless of how it turns out."

- Vaclav Havel
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Thu May 09, 2013 10:25 am

Great quotes - thank you, Natsume. I much prefer the latter.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Araki/Sylvian Installation at Uno Port in Tamano city

Postby angel-a on Thu May 16, 2013 5:06 pm

There are some images of Araki/Sylvian collaboration at various website. They are in Japanese, but if you are interested, have a look!

[1] Blog in Japanese:
1st photo: billboard photos by Araki near Uno Port.
2nd photo: Araki/Sylvian collaboration van (called 'kiosk'), wrapped with images by Araki. David's sound ('abandon/hope') could be listened through a MP3 player (see [2]).
3rd photo: The tower - It seems David's sound was originally planned to be played here.
http://ameblo.jp/tomoishi1976/entry-11525930389.html

[2] Tamano city's website in Japanese:
Left photo: Araki/Sylvian collaboration van (called 'kiosk')
Right photo: A MP3 player for 'abandon/hope'
http://tamano.allpaqa.info/watch/abandon-hope.html

The van was located at the landing stage of the ferry to Naoshima at Uno Port during the Spring period. Now, it is located in front of 'Una' (no.157, event hall) and David's sound can be still listened at the reception of Una.
http://setouchi-artfest.jp/en/artwork/a156

Another Araki/Sylvian project 'Photos in the City Project' will start from the summer period.
http://setouchi-artfest.jp/en/artwork/a158

Tamano no Art (Tamano's Art) - Setouchi Triennale 2013 Facebook in Japanese:
You can see the entries about Araki/Sylvian project on 18th April and 6th May.
https://www.facebook.com/TamanoArt
angel-a
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby inkinthewell on Fri May 17, 2013 1:23 pm

Looks brilliant. Araki's photos seem delicate and colourful. Nice.
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Sat May 18, 2013 2:42 pm

Thanks angel for grouping the links together.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby angel-a on Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:26 pm

http://on.fb.me/12WFhwJ

'abandon / hope'
from 22nd July - 29th July
Spiral Garden, Tokyo, Japan

'abandon / hope'
from 20th July - 1st September
Uno (Okayama), Japan

Addition to what David posted...
There will be an opening event with David on 22nd July, 2013 (19:00-22:00) at CAY (Spiral Building B1F, 4000 Japanese yen).
There are three types of the exhibition photobook:
- Special Version I: Limited to 50 copies, including two original prints (one from 'abandon' and 'hope' each) with David's signature and the 'playbutton' device of the sound created for the exhibition in the special case.
- Special Version II: Limited to 250 copies with David's signature, including the 'playbutton' device of the sound created for the exhibition.
- Normal Version: Limited to 700 copies.

Playbutton:
http://www.playbutton.jp/

Information in Japanese.
http://www.fashion-press.net/news/6936
angel-a
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby svendutchmountains on Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:24 am

Hi angel-a,

Thanks for posting this! Do you have any idea how someone can order a copy of the exhibition book (any of the versions)? I checked the play-button website but it gave no information...

Greetings from the Dutch mountains
Sven
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work