New installation project in Japan

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

New installation project in Japan

Postby silentwings on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:00 am

Taylor Deupree @taylordeupree tweeted on Wed, Feb 13, 2013:

"i am very excited to be a part of an installation in uno, japan with photographer nobuyoshi araki and david sylvian. details soon."

This is great news. We knew that Taylor had been involved in sessions with Ryuichi for David, not sure if this is related. I am really enjoying Taylor's recent release 'Faint'.
Last edited by silentwings on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: New installation project in Japan

Postby silentwings on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:52 am

Taylor has further elaborated on Twitter - he is contributing 20 mins of music, David and Nobuyoshi Araki are contributing pictures.
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:47 pm

Found this on the facebook page 'Uno Slope House'

"Arākī and David Sylvian in Uno!

Setouchi Triennale 2013 has announced that there will be a huge billboard photographed by Nobuyoshi Araki placed around Uno port during the festival.
Also a soundscape work by David Sylvian (remember, Japan?) will be played in the town of Uno."
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:49 pm

One says David is contributing "soundscape", one says "pictures". Maybe it's both.
Anyway, if there's music I hope it will result in a CD like Naoshima.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:18 pm

I'm hoping it might be both (pictures and soundscape). The official list of contributors for the festival lists 'Nobuyoshi Araki and David Sylvian' and 'David Sylvian' - so maybe one relates to the photography installation with music by Taylor Deupree, and one to the soundscape (which like inkinthewell I hope is a Naoshima like piece).

http://setouchi-artfest.jp/images/uploa ... rtists.pdf
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:24 pm

Hello silentwings ---- thanks for making us aware of this intriguing information. I've also been quite impressed with Deupree's take on ambient music. Faint is really good - do you have the deluxe version with the 38 minute "reprise" of Thaw and the new reworked version of Field?
Also, has anyone else done a search through the output of Nobuyoshi Araki? Well...I really wasn't expecting that sort of thing. I wonder if the collaboration between he and Sylvian is going to wind up being inanimate objects in bondage. :?:
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:17 pm

baht habit wrote:Hello silentwings ---- thanks for making us aware of this intriguing information. I've also been quite impressed with Deupree's take on ambient music. Faint is really good - do you have the deluxe version with the 38 minute "reprise" of Thaw and the new reworked version of Field?
Also, has anyone else done a search through the output of Nobuyoshi Araki? Well...I really wasn't expecting that sort of thing. I wonder if the collaboration between he and Sylvian is going to wind up being inanimate objects in bondage. :?:

Holy Mother! I googled Araki. Was not expecting that stuff at all. It's a good thing my kids were not in the room. Not my cup of tea at all. :shock:
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:58 pm

baht habit wrote:Hello silentwings ---- I've also been quite impressed with Deupree's take on ambient music. Faint is really good - do you have the deluxe version with the 38 minute "reprise" of Thaw...

Yes, I've got the deluxe version - really glad to have the extended version of Thaw. I find the whole album mesmerising, very delicately done.
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:00 pm

Could 'Resonance with Uno' be the title of David's soundscape....?

http://setouchi-artfest.jp/en/artwork/a156
Last edited by silentwings on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:14 am

baht habit wrote:has anyone else done a search through the output of Nobuyoshi Araki? Well...I really wasn't expecting that sort of thing.

I wonder if David's back problems have anything to do with being tied naked to the ceiling?
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Stephenf on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:37 pm

:lol:
Stephenf
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby silentwings on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:34 am

Confirmation on the festival site now of David's 'sound installation':

'Resonance with Uno
This sound installation creates new sounds that resonate with the sounds of Uno town.'

..and of the photography...

'Photos in the City Project

Photographers create works in vacant stores in the shopping arcade. The collaboration between Nobuyoshi Araki and David Sylvian also promises to be interesting.'
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:37 pm

From an interview with Taylor Deupree:

i’ve been really busy musically. i just finished one of two works that i’m doing for a sound/art show in uno, japan alongside david sylvian and the japanese photographer nobuyoshi araki. david asked me to take part in this and it was quite an honor. i have a 20 minute piece of music that will be available to rent or buy on a playbutton™ for attendees of the art events and they will listen to my music as they walk around the town and see the works on display. there’s a 2nd part to the overall project for another piece of music to be included in a book with david and araki as well. i need to do that in the next couple of months.

http://reviews.headphonecommute.com/2013/03/07/interview-with-taylor-deupree/
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby silentwings on Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:33 am

I believe that as of 20 March David's 'Resonance with Uno' sound installation is open to the public as part of the Setouchi 2013 event held on the islands of the Seto inland sea. The spring part of the festival runs until 21 April, and I understand that 'Resonance..' will feature in the Spring, Summer and Autumn openings. A forerunner to this event in years past featured the soundscape that became 'When Loud Weather Buffeted Naoshima'.

I remember from those days that some of our global community visited the exhibit (javier attended if my memory serves me well). Is anyone intending to make the trip this time and could they share what they find with those of us too far away to attend? We would love to hear....

http://setouchi-artfest.jp/en/artwork/a156

I think this is a separate contribution to the one with Araki/Deupree. From what I can work out this is not part of the Spring festival, but presumably features in Summer or Autumn. Please let us know if you know more.

This is an interesting link giving more detail on the festival:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5410.html
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:09 am

silentwings wrote:This is an interesting link giving more detail on the festival:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5410.html

Lovely! Thanks for the link.
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Solo Work