Relax and Swing - the novel

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Relax and Swing - the novel

Postby natty1 on Wed May 02, 2012 8:46 am

This may sound blindingly obvious to regular visitors here, but I'm guessing this is an American site? Have any of you bought copies of Relax and Swing - a novel I wrote four years ago. My publisher is pretty awful at sending me sales figures. I corresponded with David Sylvian in the 1980's for a while; I was setting up a magazine and wanted him to feature as the first interview. Unfortunately, due to scheduling and general hiccups with his company Opium Arts, it never transpired. But I have some beautiful handwritten letters from him somewhere. That is why I decided to write a novel with him as a 'background' central character: the meeting that never happened, inside a 1980's story - and I truly loved 1980-83. Best wishes to all of you. I hope David's back injury gets better asap.
natty1
Noob
Noob

Re: Relax and Swing - the novel

Postby Chet on Wed May 02, 2012 8:52 am

I googled "Relax and Swing" and got all these pages about Golf, and how important it is to have the right swing not to get back injuries... Sorry, where can we get the book? I'd love to buy it.
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Barbierigirl on Wed May 02, 2012 2:53 pm

I looked it up and I would like to read it so I am planning to buy it as soon as I have some time to actually sit and read it. I'm too busy at the moment :(
People change and forget to tell each other - Lillian Hellman
Barbierigirl
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby billster on Thu May 03, 2012 7:09 am

Was intruiged by this when it came out. have never actually seen a copy. How about an excerpt?
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby missouriman on Fri May 04, 2012 8:14 am

I have a copy. It's not the hardest of reads, but I very much enjoyed it. I can identify with the era and the pop references are good. Not sure where I got it from. Johnny Frinker (the protagonist) is a bit of a jerk at times, but I like that he hates Haircut 100 and many of the other bubblegum bands of the early 80s. The Billy Mackenzie bit is touching.

It's worth buying if you can find it. Cheers, Daniel G.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby natty1 on Sun May 06, 2012 10:43 am

Hi, thanks for the responses so far. The book should be available through Amazon - and various other online book outlets. Thanks, missouriman, for your great feedback. I wanted to put a bit in the novel about Billy Mackenzie as I always felt he was one of the truly overlooked singer/songwriting talents of the 1980's-1990's; until his very sad suicide. The book was written as a pure celebration of the early 1980's - particularly London: the new romantics/futurists, and the cultural divides between young people interested in various types of music: the New Wavers, the Skinheads and those in to very mainstream pop. Things seemed more definitive and vibrant back then - perhaps that's just me getting old?! And, of course, the book was written as a thank you to Japan and Sylvian and the ways they/he made me feel and think about things I hadn't before. And the huge influence their/his music, style and interests have had on my life. Cheers to you all, Dan.
natty1
Noob
Noob

Postby Serotonin on Mon May 07, 2012 7:09 pm

I bought this book after it was mentioned on this forum sometime ago.
It's a very easy reading and it gives an interesting insight for those readers who weren't around at the time and, for those who were fortunate enough to have been there, it gives a sweet nostalgic feeling.
I might read it again, as soon as I finish with the one I'm reading now. x
Serotonin
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby natty1 on Thu May 17, 2012 4:13 pm

Just want to say thanks again for the lovely comments and feedback about my novel: Relax and Swing. I have a website: www.inspiredwriters.co.uk and I'm on Twitter under: JohnnyFrinker Cheers, Dan Gothard :D
natty1
Noob
Noob

Postby natty1 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:58 am

Hi,

I'm the author of 'Relax and Swing'. I just wanted to let you know - in case you might be interested - there are five of my other novels (quite a few of them make reference(s) to Japan and Sylvian) available to sample and/or download for FREE on a website called Smashwords. Just look under author name: Daniel Gothard.

Hope everyone's well - Happy New Year!

Dan
natty1
Noob
Noob

Postby natty1 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:00 pm

Just thought I would let anyone who's interested know, I've just posted my novel Relax and Swing on a website called Smashwords - where you can download it for free. Or just read a sample ...

All the best,

Dan Gothard
natty1
Noob
Noob

Postby natty1 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:32 am

Hi everyone, I was wondering whether anybody's had a chance to buy a copy of my novel - Relax and Swing - or use the website Smashwords to download it for free? I'm always looking for feedback, and ways to nudge my publisher towards my next book! Hope everyone's doing well out there.

Cheers,

Dan Gothard
natty1
Noob
Noob

Return to General Discussion