Benefit concert for Mick - CONFIRMED

All things related to the late, great, lamented Mick Karn

Re: Benefit concert for Mick - CONFIRMED

Postby natsume on Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:01 am

My guess would be that if Sylvian does participate, (on his own terms, in his own way), it will most likely be with the contribution of a video or audio piece.

(Although, Steve might be able to talk him into some kind of performance, it will not be a Japan reunion. Both Steve and Richard are probably beyond that at this point as well.)
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:08 am

Astronaut wrote:I'd go even if The Muppets were doing the gig because its for Mick. It isn't about seeing Mick on stage - Lord knows he's too ill right now to even contemplate such a thing and who knows what his health is going to be like by the time the gig comes around? As for David making an appearance? If he does - great - if he doesn't - tough - the show will go on with or without him because its for Mick not David. It is not a Japan reunion despite what you may read over the coming weeks from the less imaginative journalists in the media who cant think of a better tag line than "Japan Reunion stalled by Karn Cancer" or some such useless rubbish. It's all about MIck and raising funds for his family - who must be in h*ll right now. OK? Got that? :evil:

I'd go ESPECIALLY if The Muppets were doing the gig!
(next idea--->) I want a Sylvian Kermit to fill in there!
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby japanfan on Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:24 pm

I really think Japan including Rob Dean should reform for one night only in aid of Mick. The publicity it would generate and therefore cash would be a great boost to Mick in these very hard times. At the end of the day Japan was formed on the friendship of its members and in times of hardship friends should stick together, and im sure they all will as its all about Mick at the end of the day. When i heard of Mick's illness i was shocked and sadened, my thoughts are with Mick at this time.
Japanfan - The luminescent, mysterious, and androgynous New Romantic.
http://www.myspace.com/sylvianfan
japanfan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:56 am

I suspect that the closest I've been to seeing Japan play live is going to be Richard playing The Experience of Swimming. And probably that's for the best...
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby natsume on Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:17 am

japanfan wrote:I really think Japan including Rob Dean should reform for one night only in aid of Mick.

It will never happen. And it is for the best. It would be so awkward for them to play as Japan. They might do a new version of Rain Tree Crow, or just new music, who knows.

I am hoping that whatever does emerge is artistically successful and profitable. This might bring our old friend Kate Bush out of her exile...
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:36 am

I bet that John Taylor is going to be involved in this concert if possible. He has stated that he had had the plan to ask Mick for some collaboration on the new DD album when he heard he was sick and wondered what he could do to help Mick.
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby japanfan on Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:16 pm

natsume wrote:
japanfan wrote:I really think Japan including Rob Dean should reform for one night only in aid of Mick.

It will never happen. And it is for the best. It would be so awkward for them to play as Japan. They might do a new version of Rain Tree Crow, or just new music, who knows.

I am hoping that whatever does emerge is artistically successful and profitable. This might bring our old friend Kate Bush out of her exile...

I have to disagree, there are many bands who at the time of splitting could not stand to be in the same room as one another and many of them have reformed. When Japan split things werent that bad they just wanted to branch out to solo projects to match there own musical tastes. I dont think it would be awkward and i think it would bring many to the gig which means more money for the Mick Karn appeal. On the same token i don't think it will happen as Sylvian doesnt seem to want to sing Japan songs. It would be cool even if they did the concert under Rain tree crow and performed songs from later Japan and some songs off the RTC album.
Japanfan - The luminescent, mysterious, and androgynous New Romantic.
http://www.myspace.com/sylvianfan
japanfan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby SylvianDarling on Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:50 pm

japanfan wrote:I have to disagree, there are many bands who at the time of splitting could not stand to be in the same room as one another and many of them have reformed. When Japan split things werent that bad they just wanted to branch out to solo projects to match there own musical tastes. I dont think it would be awkward and i think it would bring many to the gig which means more money for the Mick Karn appeal. On the same token i don't think it will happen as Sylvian doesnt seem to want to sing Japan songs. It would be cool even if they did the concert under Rain tree crow and performed songs from later Japan and some songs off the RTC album.

I agree, isnt it time for a Japan reunion? :mrgreen: anyway at the end of the day its all about Mick, as it should be, so if the concert happens, it will still be great :D
SylvianDarling
Regular
Regular

Postby billster on Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:47 am

Sylvian still felt comfortable singing nighporter and the other side of life until recently at least, 'Ghosts' too.

Ultimate Line up for this reunion would be -

Sylvian - Vocals
jansen - Drums (doing some Dolphin brothers tunes too and maybe 'Stay close)?
Rich on Synths
John taylor on Bass
Nick Rhodes on inflatable keyboard
kate bush on occasional lead vocals
peter murphy doing a guest spot
masami and Sandi dancing at the side
bryan ferry Djing
Sal Solo on backing vocals
Steven Dante rapping

The whole thing MC'd by Simon napier bell
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby neonico on Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:38 pm

SylvianDarling wrote:
japanfan wrote:I have to disagree, there are many bands who at the time of splitting could not stand to be in the same room as one another and many of them have reformed. When Japan split things werent that bad they just wanted to branch out to solo projects to match there own musical tastes. I dont think it would be awkward and i think it would bring many to the gig which means more money for the Mick Karn appeal. On the same token i don't think it will happen as Sylvian doesnt seem to want to sing Japan songs. It would be cool even if they did the concert under Rain tree crow and performed songs from later Japan and some songs off the RTC album.

I agree, isnt it time for a Japan reunion? :mrgreen: anyway at the end of the day its all about Mick, as it should be, so if the concert happens, it will still be great :D

i havent posted for a while but his whole renioun stuff is :oops: :oops:

i cant imagine 5 old men doing the japan stuff sorry .... :shock: :shock: just embarressing i think david doing his own thing and mick also is more approachable...

whish you all the best mick and fight futher lots of love,,,,,,
neonico

Postby SylvianDarling on Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:46 pm

neonico wrote:

i havent posted for a while but his whole renioun stuff is :oops: :oops:

i cant imagine 5 old men doing the japan stuff sorry .... :shock: :shock: just embarressing i think david doing his own thing and mick also is more approachable...

whish you all the best mick and fight futher lots of love,,,,,,[/quote]

ahahahahaha... Well yes it would be, but im not agreeing with the fact that they should sing their old stuff thats just... weird... :mrgreen: If they were gonna do a reunion i would say write new stuff
SylvianDarling
Regular
Regular

Postby Tim91 on Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:06 am

I don't think Japan is going to get back together
everyone in the band has artistically moved on and is creating music so far removed from Japan
and truthfully it seems there is still a lot of emotional baggage from back then
& who needs another bad old 80's band reunion :wink:
BUT who am I kidding, if they did get back together it'd be the HAPPIEST DAY OF MY LIFE :-D
...it's still not going to happen though
..well maybe, it is for Mick..I can dream
Tim91
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby SylvianDarling on Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:37 am

Tim91 wrote:I don't think Japan is going to get back together
everyone in the band has artistically moved on and is creating music so far removed from Japan
and truthfully it seems there is still a lot of emotional baggage from back then
& who needs another bad old 80's band reunion :wink:
BUT who am I kidding, if they did get back together it'd be the HAPPIEST DAY OF MY LIFE :-D
...it's still not going to happen though
..well maybe, it is for Mick..I can dream

Haha.

I can see they have moved on but I think David is more against it than any of the other members :?:
SylvianDarling
Regular
Regular

Postby inkinthewell on Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:51 am

I wonder if anyone thought about involving Toni Basil? :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4CyNvEfWoE
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing