new Bomb interview

David's solo career interviews

new Bomb interview

Postby jon abbey on Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:54 am

there's going to be an extensive interview of David in the next issue of Bomb Magazine (bombsite.com), the spring issue. I'm not sure when it's coming out exactly, but what makes this one especially exciting (to me, anyway) is that it was conducted by Keith Rowe, who I know put in a lot of time doing it.
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: new Bomb interview

Postby Adrian on Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:48 am

that IS great news. If possible please keep us posted here when and where it will be available... :-)
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:44 am

Thanks for that Jon

S
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:36 pm

I was recently in New York and managed to pick up a copy of 'Bomb' #111 with this interview in it. It is really interesting, all the more for being essentially a conversation between Keith Rowe and DS. At the end Keith asks DS what the future might hold:

DS: A reordering is in the cards. I've been working on and off with contemporary classical composer Dai Fujikura, who's reworking elements of Manafon, further confusing its genealogy. We've also written some material unassociated with this project and are looking to see how we might build upon it. Again, uncharted territory for me. To counter this I've been sitting with an old semiacoustic Gibson enjoying the simplicity of writing miniatures. If there are goals in mind they're not fully formed. A temporary lapse into silence has become necessary so as to hear what comes next.

So there's potentially lots of forms his next output could take - contemporary classical, When we return you won't recognise us, some simpler ballads (like Jacqueline I guess) and the work with Steve...all very promising and exciting...

I also managed to see a performance by Toshi Nakamura who contributed to Manafon. It was a one-off in an amazing small venue in an old factory in Brooklyn. I was hoping that DS might be there given that Samadhi is planning to release an album by Toshi, but unfortunately he wasn't!

It was a short but very intense performance. Manafon has led me to explore some of these areas and I'm grateful because at times live music of this kind in small venues can take you into an extraordinary state where you are intensely aware of sound and its jagged beauty. The album should be interesting for those who enjoyed the wilder shores of Manafon.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby jon abbey on Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:58 pm

Toshi is also working on a solo record for my label (Erstwhile), which, while not yet recorded, will be closer to the show you (and I) saw than the imminent Samadhi Sound CD is (according to Toshi).
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Adrian on Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:31 am

looking forward to both Toshi discs!!!
[and really looking forward to Keith Rowe and Radu Malfatti on Erstwhile Jon (but that will take a while still I guess)]
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Interviews