Modesto Muniz remixes Sylvian

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Modesto Muniz remixes Sylvian

Postby Simonp on Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:38 am

Who is this guy remixing Sylvian?? What do you lot think of it? I rather like the Darkest Dreaming remix

http://www.davidsylvian.net/releases/tr ... edler.html

http://www.davidsylvian.net/releases/tr ... muniz.html
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Modesto Muniz remixes Sylvian

Postby Simonp on Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:15 am

15 views of this thread and not one response..
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:07 am

Simonp wrote:15 views of this thread and not one response..

I guess there is your answer. Modesto Muniz leaves me cold, cold, cold. My reaction is always "Why bother?" I really think MM needs to find a new hobby.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:47 pm

i don't even want to see that name mentioned again on this delicate forum
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby qdes on Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:09 pm

I appreciate the effort and the fact he remixes some beautiful songs. That said, I really don't need songs remixed. At all.
qdes
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Hawk on Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:11 pm

Hm I was prepared to really hate these but actually I feel strangely moved by a couple of them....it feels like nostalgia... Obviously I prefer the originals. I really don't think his Blemish remixes work very well... I could only listen to a few seconds of Darkest Dreaming as it seemed a bit pointless and I love the original too much... but I quite like Nightporter. It's interesting.
Hawk
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby FlyingPig on Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:29 am

Hi all,
I stumbled upon his remix of 'Small Metal Gods'.
Frankly I love it. he did a great job.
It gives another dimension to the lyrics and the vocals.
I suspect that some (not all) of the songs on Manafon are deconstructed from original guitar/piano riff.
In any case, I love the remix.

P.
FlyingPig
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby BobbyVey on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:48 pm

FlyingPig wrote:It gives another dimension to the lyrics and the vocals.

Agree. Maybe it gives a dimension, period. I've always thought something lacks on entirely 'Manafon'. Music and harmony. This remix tries to fill that hole. 'Small Metal Gods' is a wonderful song, really, but not as beautiful as it can be in some another arrangement.
I also think Sylvian would do this in a completely different manner.
Darkest Dreaming is a flaw though, this vocal is not something I wanna hear in front of it's stunning tune.
I'm still to hear his others 'remixes' but frankly, I'm not quite excited for it...
BobbyVey
Regular
Regular

Postby ob8 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:27 pm

i agree with missouriman on this one, it leaves me stone cold too. Anyone with a slight musical background could do what he has done. MM create your own tracks, be original and let YOUR music stand up and speak for itself !
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby FlyingPig on Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:55 am

ob8 wrote:i agree with missouriman on this one, it leaves me stone cold too. Anyone with a slight musical background could do what he has done. MM create your own tracks, be original and let YOUR music stand up and speak for itself !

mmm. are you a musician? I am a seasoned none, and what he does is very well done. He's at least on par with Moby.
P.
FlyingPig
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby baht habit on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:39 am

FlyingPig wrote:
ob8 wrote:i agree with missouriman on this one, it leaves me stone cold too. Anyone with a slight musical background could do what he has done. MM create your own tracks, be original and let YOUR music stand up and speak for itself !

mmm. are you a musician? I am a seasoned none, and what he does is very well done. He's at least on par with Moby.
P.

I don't know, FlyingPig, I am sincerely surprised any musician could actually be encouraged by the SMG remix. I suppose my outlook is slightly different due to being a drummer, because it sounds to me as if this person made no effort at all to synch up the original vocals to the rhythm he devised for the synthetic percussion and the chord changes. It sounds to me as if two separate songs are simply being played on top of each other all at once with no relationship between them. (Wait, I've heard that said about Manafon - so perhaps that was the intention :lol: ) Yet, on top of that, the church choir sound from that almost heavenly keyboard sort of seems inappropriate when you take the lyrical theme into account.
I have to conclude that the remixer was interested in creating a polar opposite of Sylvian's intentions and so I can understand how someone who is disturbed by his recent work would gravitate towards this. But the use of so much reverb actually caused me to cringe in discomfort. Thank goodness the 80s are a distant memory as far as Sylvian is concerned and yet here is this remixer attempting to rehash such a dated sound in the 21st century. At least the drum programming sounds somewhat akin to the fashionable styles of the late 90s so he is a little more recent in that aspect. :-)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CFFSTE0B
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby neonico on Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:44 pm

i think the remix from smg is quiet good actually perhaps the church chor was meant ironic....
neonico

Postby ob8 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:46 pm

I would agree with you that he is on a par with Moby :-D Dont take it the wrong way i am only playfully expressing my opinions, they are no more or less valid than anyone else's on here. SMG sounds like two songs welded together, by a welder ! DD is just wrong. I am not sure after that if he really likes Davids music.............. But like Manafon some like and others loathe it. I do play synths and see no worth in what MM is doing but i am happy you enjoy it.
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby FlyingPig on Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:42 am

I don't know, FlyingPig, I am sincerely surprised any musician could actually be encouraged by the SMG remix. I suppose my outlook is slightly different due to being a drummer, because it sounds to me as if this person made no effort at all to synch up the original vocals to the rhythm he devised for the synthetic percussion and the chord changes. It sounds to me as if two separate songs are simply being played on top of each other all at once with no relationship between them. (Wait, I've heard that said about Manafon - so perhaps that was the intention :lol: ) Yet, on top of that, the church choir sound from that almost heavenly keyboard sort of seems inappropriate when you take the lyrical theme into account.
I have to conclude that the remixer was interested in creating a polar opposite of Sylvian's intentions and so I can understand how someone who is disturbed by his recent work would gravitate towards this. But the use of so much reverb actually caused me to cringe in discomfort. Thank goodness the 80s are a distant memory as far as Sylvian is concerned and yet here is this remixer attempting to rehash such a dated sound in the 21st century. At least the drum programming sounds somewhat akin to the fashionable styles of the late 90s so he is a little more recent in that aspect. :-)

I know MM is out of touch with current trends ;-)
But the truth is you can put any musical arrangements on vocals, it depends what type of audience you want to hit. I know the lyrics expresse something but they fit very well in MM remix. I understand the secularity of being a hardcore fan, I was a Bowie fan for many years, and god forbid anybody dared cover the man, but now I'm over this. it's only music afterall. If it pleases the ear why not?
As for the rythm of the song, I agree it's a little off, but I wonder how tight was DS arrangement?
The thought remains in my mind that some of the songs were written on guitar then stripped of it and graft on pieces of the jams.
And yes like it or not some 80's keyboard sounds are back in fashion, everything goes round :D

P.
FlyingPig
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby digimarsh on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:55 am

We are back to the old "good son " v "blemish" argument i supppose. I feel that the mix of smg does add something to the track and is a worthy effort but Manafon has a unique sound and feeling to it and this does not come over with this version. I would suggest that those who were disenchanted by Manafon will welcome this mix ,others may be more cynical.
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Solo Work