the Ghosts Remake

Talk about anything David Sylvian related.

Re: the Ghosts Remake

Postby fletchertronics on Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:01 am

Chet wrote:i totally agree.
since after Rain Tree Crow he manage to make his relaxed voice sound forced.

Interesting - I'm probably in a minority of one here, but I found his vocals on and around The First Day to be amongst his best... This continued with the Slow Fire tour, where he probably sounded the most relaxed and comfortable with his own voice ever.

Again, the stark arrangements on Blemish allowed his voice to flourish - much more so in my view than on the more controlled Dead Bees era material.

In general I find Nine Horses, though beautifully produced, to contain some of David's more sterile ("phoned in") performances to date...

As I said, I doubt many (any?) will agree here, but I thought I'd throw my comments in the ring nonetheless ;-)
fletchertronics
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby baht habit on Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:17 am

fletchertronics wrote:
Chet wrote:Interesting - I'm probably in a minority of one here, but I found his vocals on and around The First Day to be amongst his best... This continued with the Slow Fire tour, where he probably sounded the most relaxed and comfortable with his own voice ever.

I'm in total agreeance with your observations - so the minority is not made of one.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby fletchertronics on Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:23 pm

baht habit wrote:
fletchertronics wrote:Interesting - I'm probably in a minority of one here, but I found his vocals on and around The First Day to be amongst his best... This continued with the Slow Fire tour, where he probably sounded the most relaxed and comfortable with his own voice ever.

I'm in total agreeance with your observations - so the minority is not made of one.

Good to know that there are others who hear what I hear :-)
fletchertronics
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Phil Lawton on Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:54 pm

fletchertronics wrote:
baht habit wrote:
fletchertronics wrote:Interesting - I'm probably in a minority of one here, but I found his vocals on and around The First Day to be amongst his best... This continued with the Slow Fire tour, where he probably sounded the most relaxed and comfortable with his own voice ever.

Good to know that there are others who hear what I hear :-)

I loved that patch of his career, too. Small wonder that it was then that Fripp approached him to become King Crimson's next vocalist.

I'm a big fan of Crimson, but thank the Lord (for everything both DS (especially) and KC did consequently) that Sylvian turned the permanent gig down.
Phil Lawton
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby fretlessboy on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:40 pm

I have a lot of trouble with his voice of late. There's a lot of excessive vibrato, and the vocals are often very high in the mix.
He seems on a lot of stuff to move very little, resulting in this almost monotone performance soemtimes.

Give me Halloween anyday.
fretlessboy
Noob
Noob

Postby inkinthewell on Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:18 pm

fretlessboy wrote:Give me Halloween anyday.

Sorry, you'll have to wait 78 more days. :smt077
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Drake on Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:23 pm

fretlessboy wrote:I have a lot of trouble with his voice of late. There's a lot of excessive vibrato, and the vocals are often very high in the mix.
He seems on a lot of stuff to move very little, resulting in this almost monotone performance soemtimes.

Give me Halloween anyday.

In my opninon, the most vibrato can be heard during the time around the Fripp/Sylvian tour, especially on the liva album. Nowadays, as you say, the voice is extremely loud in the mix, but the vibrato is not that apparent.
Drake
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby proggrl on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:39 pm

fretlessboy wrote:I have a lot of trouble with his voice of late. There's a lot of excessive vibrato,

Mmmmm.... that what I love about his voice! I could listen to that voice quiver all day long!! *Insert drooly smiley here*
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Nicrobliz on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:45 pm

I wholeheartedly agree that his voice has improved over the years but that was then and this is now. I would have preferred it if David spent the time getting certain unreleased Japan/solo tracks out into the open (the original 'Some Kind Of Fool', highlights from shelved projects, outtakes from GTE and SOTB, etc).

Re-recording his vocals was nothing more than a vanity project - something I expected to have been below David...
Nicrobliz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby becky on Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:10 pm

I read in an interview somewhere that he'd re-recorded the vocals on certain tracks like Ghosts because he felt that for Everything and Nothing to work as an album as a whole he felt it had been necessary, as his vocal style had changed so dramatically from then to now that it would have been jarring to the ear and it would have sounded more like a 'greatest hits' album than a homogeneous work. But he could probably argue his way out of anything! :-D
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby dconnery1966 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:32 pm

Agree with you there Simon 110% .
Dougie :-D
dconnery1966
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby mynewcareer on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:28 am

Sorry to drag up this thread again, but is the new recorded vocal on Everything and Nothing or A Victim of Stars?
Why, boy, they're playing our song
mynewcareer
Regular
Regular

Postby depeon on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:55 pm

Everything and Nothing if i remember correctly.
depeon
Fanatic
Fanatic

Previous

Return to General Discussion