Hello

Tell us a little bit about you...

Hello

Postby Phil Lawton on Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:39 am

Just a quick post to introduce myself.

I've been a fan since "Quiet Life" and/or "Tin Drum" (I can't remember which...I didn't carve it into a tree or the like).

I have to say that I'm not a massive fan of Japan (other than "Tin Drum"), but love the stuff by individual members and their various groupings (Rain Tree Crow, Sylvian, Sylvian/Jansen, Jansen, Jansen/Barbieri. Jansen/Barbieri/Karn, Karn, Jansen/Nolan Sisters etcetera) since the split.

I saw DS in September 2007 and was underwhelmed, to say the least - I think I said at the time that I left the gig whistling the stage lighting. However, with hindsight, I think enjoyed it more than I thought I did in the days and weeks immediately afterwards...if that makes sense.

Other than the Sylvian clan, my musical taste is fairly wide, although I've been buying/listening to a stack of ambient/electronic stuff of late - Stars Of The Lid (and THEIR offshoots), Hammock, Tim Hecker, Max Richter et al.

I also produce my own music and have recently finished my second album project with my (two-man) band Shards Of Reason.

I have blue-grey eyes and my star sign is Fernicu-Bolack The Frog.
Phil Lawton
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Phil Lawton on Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:43 am

Oh, and a quick apology to Simonp, who I see is a member here and whom I have known for longer than is good for him.

Sime, I gave the Nine Horse stuff another chance and it's really rather good.

"Blemish" is still just a whiney, self-indulgent noise, though (apart from "Fire In The Forest"...get a grip, Dave...plenty more fish in the sea, mate).
Phil Lawton
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Phil Lawton on Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:46 am

And I'm member number 500.

Does that get me a prize? If there's a choice, I'll go for two weeks in Costa Del Aniston.

Cheers.
Phil Lawton
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby anortherncod on Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:07 pm

A particularly warm welcome straight outta Salford Six from me, Phil, because I've been looking for that Jansen/Nolan Sisters collaboration for a while. Any chance you could send me it as a zip file? Ta...
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby neonico on Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:36 pm

i usually give every one a warm welcome on this forum but after this comment.sorry

(bu"Blemish" is still just a whiney, self-indulgent noise, though (apart from "Fire In The Forest"...get a grip, Dave...plenty more fish in the sea, mate).t)

its under the belt.

typical from england thats why america :evil:
neonico

Postby Phil Lawton on Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:28 pm

anortherncod wrote:A particularly warm welcome straight outta Salford Six from me, Phil, because I've been looking for that Jansen/Nolan Sisters collaboration for a while. Any chance you could send me it as a zip file? Ta...

I'll see what I can do...I could maybe throw in the Barbieri/Aqua single, but I'm guessing that you already have it, A.
Phil Lawton
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Phil Lawton on Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:28 pm

neonico wrote:i usually give every one a warm welcome on this forum but after this comment.sorry

(bu"Blemish" is still just a whiney, self-indulgent noise, though (apart from "Fire In The Forest"...get a grip, Dave...plenty more fish in the sea, mate).t)

its under the belt.

typical from england thats why america :evil:

That's the spirit...wasn't I at Eton with your father?
Phil Lawton
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby anortherncod on Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:21 am

Phil Lawton wrote:
anortherncod wrote:A particularly warm welcome straight outta Salford Six from me, Phil, because I've been looking for that Jansen/Nolan Sisters collaboration for a while. Any chance you could send me it as a zip file? Ta...

I'll see what I can do...I could maybe throw in the Barbieri/Aqua single, but I'm guessing that you already have it, A.

I have CD1 but not CD2, if you have that...?

Neonico, just being serious for a minute here, we don't all have to like everything that David does, do we? I don't...
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:27 am

Welcome, Phil!

Congrats on being the 500th member! Also, your musical opinions are your musical opinions, and I respect them.

I hope you enjoy yourself here!

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby neonico on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:38 pm

i respect his musik options as well but quote
"whiney, self-indulgent noise" is just plain bad manners.
neonico

Postby Moon Park on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:16 pm

Hi Phil, I'm a bit of a n00b here myself as well :-D I have to say though that I completely disagree with your musical opinion - of the Jansen/Nolans free jazz/klezmer/avant-disco fusion collaboration, that is, 'cos I thought it sucked a big one :smt019 :lol:

Sorry about my silliness, I was born under the starsign of Toast, so you'll understand why I'm sure :lol:
Moon Park
Regular
Regular

Postby anortherncod on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:28 pm

^^^ Well, I'm still keeping my mouth shut about Wiltshire...
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Moon Park on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:30 pm

... :oops: is there something wrong with Wiltshire, then? (Apart from the obvious, you know, the pitchfork-wielding locals, midnight cow weddings, married couples who bear a very peculiar resemblance to each other etc :lol: )
Moon Park
Regular
Regular

Postby anortherncod on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:37 pm

I'm only playing with you Moon Park...

...I'm sure it's a lovely place, but when you fall in love with someone who initially says he feels the same and then ends up hating you and not speaking to you, and you still love him...

...and he comes from Wootton Bassett, it gives you a bit of a different take on things.

Anyway, enough about me and the soap opera that is my life. Zip!!!
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Moon Park on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:44 pm

Oh no, you're totally right, it's a craphole :lol: I'm from Bristol originally, so I don't mind poking fun at Wiltshire on pretty much an everyday basis :D I have to feel a bit sorry for my daughter though, she was born in Swindon so she has that cross to bear in life I'm afraid :lol:

(Ah well, if Swindon was good enough for Andy Partridge from XTC, it's good enough for my little girl - we just don't mention Billie Piper or Melinda Messenger :lol: )

I'm so sorry to hear that you've had such a horrible time with this person, I really hope things get better for you - no wonder you feel so badly about this rotten county :( :smt056
Moon Park
Regular
Regular

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself