Porcupine Tree

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Porcupine Tree

Postby John Trevethan on Fri May 26, 2006 11:43 am

Since the Richard Barbieri section of the forum was becoming the Porcupine Tree topic I thought that I would shift the conversation over to a more appropriate place. So... here we are!

Now that I've had a few days to really dig into Deadwing (my first PT experience, for those just tuning in) I thought I would share some of my impressions.

First, I'm loving this band! I had just about given up hope that there was anything new that was worthwhile over the past few years. (Other than David Sylvian and related artists of course ... wait a minute, I guess PT is related... ah, whatever - you know what I mean.)

As I said earlier "Arriving Somewhere" is probably my favorite track on Deadwing, although I'm finding that there isn't a dud track in the bunch. Anyway, on Arriving Somewhere I love the line "Never look for the truth in your mother's eyes". This got me thinking about how your mom will always tell you that everything's OK, you look great, etc. In other words she will lie in an attempt to protect you. Quite an interesting concept to put into a song.

Also, with several of the women on this forum speaking about the goosebumps that they get from music I wanted to remind everyone that this happens to men as well. In fact I believe this is why my life has revolved around music, having had my first "chills" when I was around 10 years old. I was forever hooked on music from that point, and like a drug I was constantly seeking my next "fix" - but what a wonderful drug music is! I suspect that the degree to which people experience this phenomenon determines how much they will get into music. I have met some people that don't really care much about music, and I wonder if they don't experience the goosebumps, or if they do perhaps to a lesser degree than others. That said, I find that I get the effect less and less as I grow older (and probably more jaded). Like the drug analogy, it takes more and more to get the same effect.

Now after all of that rambling I know you're saying "Get to the point!". Well, back to Arriving Somewhere: when it drops into the sections with the line "All my designs, simplified..." I get the chills big time. That hasn't happen to me in a LONG time, so now I need more! Needless to say, I'm off to Tower tonight to buy another PT release, probably Signify.
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Re: Porcupine Tree

Postby proggrl on Fri May 26, 2006 12:38 pm

sonic_chronicler wrote:The reason I mentioned it is because of the 'scare' factor. Can you imagine some frail Japan fan placing the disc in the tray, hitting play and hearing....

"We invite you to listen to some very quiet & relaxing music....." followed by the Rifftastic Signify?

It could cause a coronary in the more sensitive amongst our number - in addition to them reaching for the STOP button and cursing "Why that Proggrl & Sonic, Why I Oughtta!!!!!! - This is nothing like Japan" :lol:
Sonic

C'mon, now you've ruined all my fun. I wanted to see the looks of sheer terror cross their faces! :twisted: LOL Nah, I think through our descriptions we've established it's nothing like Japan, and John (T) already equated it to Tool, so.... Rifftastic, indeed :-D That boy Wilson is nothing if not that! I don't think once you put on the Tree there's any hitting the stop button. I think SW has infiltrated his songs with subliminal messages like: "keep listening" "don't hit stop" "Buy more vinyl" "a seventh copy of Deadwing is essential" "Listen to no man" "I am a genious" "you need more of this" "buy more vinyl" "5.1 is the only way"... Stuff like that, I hear it all in every track. :) Would you beleive I haven't even opened my Japanese version of Deadwing yet?? The only track I don't have - from the live upcoming DVD - and I will probably hear it on the DVD first! :) Not even sure if I will ever open it. It's an item now. Where's the nurse with the meds you promised, Sonic??

John Trevethan wrote:Anyway, on Arriving Somewhere I love the line "Never look for the truth in your mother's eyes".

I love that line and think of all the things I tell my daughter, which I am for a large part open and honest with her. I like the lines:
"Ever thought from here on in your life begins and all you knew was wrong?"
"Did the scissors cut a way to your heart? Did you feel the envy for the sons of mothers tearing you apart?" They both put a pain in my chest but the second one turns on the eye faucets. Quite personal meanings to me, but it has a lot to do with the sheer brilliance of the music, the way Wilson sings it and the immediate emotional impact of it all. And before Sonic yells at me again, I'll say no more. :|

This is one major goosebump producing band for sure. I also agree with the drug analogy. Thankfully music was enough of a drug I never got into the real thing. Never even tried it, never had any desire to. I think the effect music (all of it) has on me gives me much greater highs than any other "unnatural" high ever could. Not just music, but the love of life, of nature, of love itself, of the friends around me, of laughter (and forgetting), etc. My friend used to say that PT just build you up to extreme emotions and just drop you off the cliff (like when it gets to the "All my designs simplified" bit). I can only guess that to be like drugs - you get built up and then just released to soar or whatever feeling the drug gives. That's the PT effect! Also the Sylvian/Japan/Echolyn/music/love/life effect.

To John T, I say to you - AMEN, brother!

:smt023
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Fri May 26, 2006 1:16 pm

You both are sooo right about everything----your words are my words as well. Especially about the goosebumps and the music being a "drug" I too had and still have no desire to experiment with any drugs---I do drink moderately and indulge in a clove cigarette or cigar from time to time, but rarely. Music has always been my high of choice and I have home movie film of myself and my brother in the yard, he has a guitar and I am dancing and singing. I can think back to that period--and i was VERY young, toddler age---and can remember what songs were in my head---The Turtles, Mamas and the Papas, motown--it was almost as if music spoke to me from the very beginning, it painted a landscape for me and added to the mundane of living.

And now, my dear friends, you have "turned me on" to PT and now I must have it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D

And John, you talk about not many recent artists give you the goosebumps, and I agree, but in my case I do like the White Stripes--I know they are garage-y and Meg is no John Bonham or Steve Jansen, but it just appeals to me---the simplicity of it all, and they give me goosebumps big time, especially "Seven Nation Army"
My two cents worth...................
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Porcupine Tree

Postby sonic_chronicler on Fri May 26, 2006 9:16 pm

proggrl wrote:Where's the nurse with the meds you promised, Sonic??

I think the nurse ran off scared :lol:

John Trevethan wrote:Anyway, on Arriving Somewhere I love the line "Never look for the truth in your mother's eyes".

I can't remember if La Proggrl mentioned it,(She talks so much, once she gets started....) but Deadwing is a kind of concept album. It's a ghost story, it is the imaginary soundtrack to a film Steven Wilson has co-scripted.

proggrl wrote:And before Sonic yells at me again, I'll say no more. :|

Moi? :smt084

Sonic
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sat May 27, 2006 9:03 am

Not a bad comparison with Tool. I tried to explain what PT sound like to someone and found it difficult. The best I could do was say think of Pink Floyd mixed with Opeth.

I very much like their live album, "Warsawa."
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Sat May 27, 2006 11:26 am

heartofdavid wrote: The best I could do was say think of Pink Floyd mixed with Opeth.

Wha....? :shock: REALLY? Wow. Quite heavy then....?
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sat May 27, 2006 12:12 pm

Some of it is heavy, but some isn't, with softer instrumental and/or acoustic sections, just like those two bands.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Tue May 30, 2006 11:10 am

And even the stuff that is heavy I wouldn't say is AS heavy as Tool or Opeth in their "heavy" moments. If that made any sense at all....

sonic_chronicler wrote:I can't remember if La Proggrl mentioned it,(She talks so much, once she gets started....) but Deadwing is a kind of concept album. It's a ghost story, it is the imaginary soundtrack to a film Steven Wilson has co-scripted.
I think it crossed my mind, but I was too busy talking to mention it I guess. :smt011 ohhhh brudder
Is it a "concept" album or an album loosely based on the script. The latter was my understanding. I don't think Wilson ever said it was a concept peice, but that may be left to the listeners interpretation of a concept album. Many definately have a "theme" to them, that's for sure. Like In Absentia being largely about serial killers.
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby John Trevethan on Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am

I've been listening to Signify all weekend and getting more and more into PT. This version of Signify with the bonus disc of demos is excellent! I went to the local CD shop and picked up In Absentia last night, I was looking for Stupid Dream but they didn't have it in stock...

PT is turning out to be perfect for me as my taste covers a fairly wide spectrum. I love the abrupt mood shifts that Wilson & Co. provide... although this characteristic is something that apparently others (including my wife) are not too keen on.

Other things that are grabbing me: absolutely wonderful guitar sounds from the nastiest crunch to the silkiest acoustic strumming. Wilson is a riff-monger, which is something that has attracted me since listening to Black Sabbath in my youth. Also, Steve's voice is really appealing - he's no David Sylvian but his tone is perfect for this type of music.

So, I'm off to the nether regions of In Absentia and beyond...
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby proggrl on Tue May 30, 2006 11:34 am

John Trevethan wrote:I've been listening to Signify all weekend and getting more and more into PT. I went to the local CD shop and picked up In Absentia last night, I was looking for Stupid Dream but they didn't have it in stock...

Glad you're finding enjoyment in this. I'm sure your wallet won't be saying the same thing, though! Your local CD shop probably won't have Stupid Dream. Again, as Sonic mentioned (cos you know how he likes to talk so much :P ), they are dealing with issues of manufacturing errors (on the duplication side) with that release. I agree with him to wait a while, but you will have to order it from Burning Shed.

As their site suggests:
We are now waiting for a new pressing - the release date below is approximate. Please note that any orders placed after 21st May will not be sent until this batch arrives.

Released on 19/6/2006 - Preorder now for $19.40 USD

Re: In Absetia - Remember again, he wrote this from the view of a serial killer. Just so you don't think our boy Wilson is touched or anything. Well, maybe he is but in the most wonderful of ways. :D

John Trevethan wrote:Other things that are grabbing me: absolutely wonderful guitar sounds from the nastiest crunch to the silkiest acoustic strumming.
Don't forget the soaring, piercing leads! He's no virtuoso on the guitar, but his playing is so perfect to the song and sound he's going for. And he can play in just about any genre and style possible. That's a good player. Very tasteful. Brett Kull I think the same thing about.

John Trevethan wrote:Also, Steve's voice is really appealing - he's no David Sylvian but his tone is perfect for this type of music.

Yes it is - appealing. One of my favourite voices out there.
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby John Trevethan on Tue May 30, 2006 1:04 pm

proggrl wrote:Re: In Absetia - Remember again, he wrote this from the view of a serial killer. Just so you don't think our boy Wilson is touched or anything. Well, maybe he is but in the most wonderful of ways. :D

Last night I did the whole album - "took the trip" so to speak. Very creepy stuff lyrically.

I also watched the included video for "Strip the Soul" and I felt that it was very Tool inspired (which of course traces the roots back to NIN).

I don't know what it is with this band - normally I would blow it off as a "Tool copy" or "Pink Floyd copy", but somehow these obvious elements are blended in just such a way as to make the overall effect quite original.

I'm going to turn my brother-in-law onto the "Tree"... he is a big prog-metal and Dream Theater fan (Ugh! Arena rock schlock if you ask me) ... I'm hoping this might broaden his horizons a bit.
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby sonic_chronicler on Wed May 31, 2006 2:31 pm

proggrl wrote:
John Trevethan wrote: Again, as Sonic mentioned (cos you know how he likes to talk so much :P ),

Whaddya mean? I've been silent for days (Couldn't get a word in edgeways :lol:)

Sonic
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PT touring U.S. in October

Postby John Trevethan on Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:58 pm

I just read this on Robert Fripp's diary:

"ProjeKct 6 – The Fury Of Fripp & Adrian with Porcupine Tree in the US early October"

This is exciting news - being able to see Robert Fripp & Adrian Belew along with Porcupine Tree is a dream show for me.
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Re: PT touring U.S. in October

Postby proggrl on Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:54 am

John Trevethan wrote:I just read this on Robert Fripp's diary:

"ProjeKct 6 – The Fury Of Fripp & Adrian with Porcupine Tree in the US early October"

This is exciting news - being able to see Robert Fripp & Adrian Belew along with Porcupine Tree is a dream show for me.

There're only going to be 6 shows. This was posted from DMG:
ProjeKct Six are scheduled to hit the road later this year with Porcupine Tree. The dates are

0ct 5 Boston, MA at The Roxy

Oct 6 New York, NY at the Nokia Theatre

Oct 7 Philadelphia, PA at the Keswick Theatre

Oct 10 San Francisco, CA at The Fillmore

0ct 11 Anaheim , CA at The Grove

0ct 12 Los Angeles, CA at the House of Blues

PT.com has confirmed:

06-11-2006
The first of 6 shows that Porcupine Tree will play with ProjeKCt Six (Robert Fripp and Adrian Belew) in the USA in October have now been confirmed:

6th Oct - New York City: Nokia Theater
7th Oct - Philadelphia: Keswick Theater

Ticket information, as well as the remaining confirmed gigs, will be posted shortly. The band will also make available a limited amount of VIP tickets for each show.

Although the tour is primarily to promote the release of the Arriving Somewhere.... DVD, the band are planning to use the first half of the concerts in both Europe and the USA to present completely new music. Watch this space!

Myself, I shall be at the first 3!! :-D Don't want to miss out on that new music!! Very very exciting news for sure!
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:01 pm

Krausy, I did mention me seeing these shows a while ago ^^.

Here's some more PT news via PT.com:

Washington DC Show
08-03-2006

Porcupine Tree announce their fourth (and final on this tour) East Coast gig on their upcoming US tour. The band, with ProjeKct 6 supporting, will be playing at the State Theatre in Falls Church, VA on Sunday 8th October. Presale tickets go on sale via artistarena tomorrow, 4th August, at noon, Eastern time, and to the general public via Ticketmaster, on Monday, 7th August.

Arriving Somewhere... DVD news
08-02-2006

The first ever Porcupine Tree live DVD "Arriving Somewhere..." is in the final stages of production, and release dates are as follows:

UK/Europe (Snapper) - 9th October
USA (Snapper) - 10th October
Japan (WHD Entertainment) - 27th September

Prior to retail release the DVD will be available from the Porcupine Tree Store from early September, with pre-orders due to start in mid-August. It will also be available to buy at the merchandise stand throughout the band's forthcoming tour. The first 2,000 copies bought directly from the band will be numbered and come with an exclusive set of 6 postcards.

The DVD is a 2-disc set. Disc one is a full show from the Deadwing tour filmed at Park West, Chicago in Oct 2005, with the soundtrack mixed in stereo and 5.1 surround sound. Disc two includes bonus live performances of Futile and Radioactive Toy from German TV show Rockpalast, the Lazarus promo clip, the live films used during the show for Start of Something Beautiful (by Przemyslaw Vshebor and Lasse Hoile), Halo, and Mother and Child Divided (both by Lasse Hoile), Gavin Harrison's “Cymbal Song” (also in 5.1 sound), a photo gallery, and exclusive mixes and music created especially for the gallery and credits on the DVD.

Watch this space on news on when the disc will be available to pre-order.

P.S. - Unfortunately Lasse Hoile's full length documentary on Porcupine Tree was not ready in time for inclusion on the second disc of the DVD. With 4 years and 250 hours (!) of footage to go through, and with the amount of work involved in editing and producing the concert footage, the rockumentary had to be put aside on this occasion, but it remains a work in progress for unveliing at a (much) later date.
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to General Discussion