Other musicians referring to or talking about Japan

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Other musicians referring to or talking about Japan

Postby peterw on Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:50 pm

Has anyone ever heard other musicians talk about or refer to Japan or individual members of Japan?

Around 1982 I read an interview done with Geddy Lee of Rush, that was about the time that Tin Drum was released. The interviewer asked Geddy what kind of music/musicians he liked. Geddy responded with a few, one being Japan and how he thought that Tin Drum was quite a nice piece of work.

Supposedly Pete Townshend of The Who has made reference to Mick Karn as being a great bass player.

Anyone else you know of?
peterw
Noob
Noob

Postby S4pB on Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:53 pm

Hmm.. the band's "Girl" members?
"Well, welcome to the ocean, welcome to the sea, welcome to the jungle deep inside of me.."
S4pB
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:31 pm

Nick rhodes of duran duran has mentioned liking japan. when simon and he guest vj'd on mtv back in, i believe it was 83, played vision of china. That was my first exposure to Japan and david. Take one look at nick and you know he was influenced by david sylvian circa 80/81/82
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:19 pm

Roland Orbizal from Tears for Fears is extremely complemetary about Japan/Rain Tree Crow in The Last Romantic book.
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:12 pm

oh i adore Roland... :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby peterw on Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:26 pm

>>Nick rhodes of duran duran has mentioned liking japan. when simon and he guest vj'd on mtv back in, i believe it was 83, played vision of china. That was my first exposure to Japan and david. Take one look at nick and you know he was influenced by david sylvian circa 80/81/82

Ah, yes. I actually forgot about the Duran Duran connection.

I read somewhere that when Japan was in studio recording Gentlemen Take Polaroids that Duran Duran was actually just down the hall in the same building recording their first album. Duran Duran band members supposedly stated that Japan was one of their major influences.

And now that I think about it, take a look at the picture of the band members of Japan on the back cover of Gentlemen Take Polaroids. Now take a look at the picture of Duran Duran band members on the back of the album Rio. Doesn't it make you think about who Duran Duran is trying to emulate?

>>oh i adore Roland...

Tears for Fears was a great band. The album "The Hurting" was fantastic.

In the early 80's we had bands like Japan and Tears for Fears, and now look at what we have being played on the radio and television today. Makes me want to cry. :cry:
peterw
Noob
Noob

Postby gokartmozart on Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:50 pm

Julianne Regan (the singer in All About Eve) mentioned in two interviews I remember that while recording their second and their last (fourth) albums, she had to take time away from "the boys" and retreat into the sounds that kept her sane, mentioning DS and (I think) Bill Nelson.

Even now on her website, her MySpace page and the All About Eve MySpace page, she lists DS in her Music Inspirations list. I don't remember Japan, but the period of AAE would indicate the early solo LPs (mid-to-late 80s).

Oh course loads of people have praised Mick's talent after the breakup! And why has there been no collaborations with Bowie (Merry Xmas Mr. Lawrence doesn't really count).

Personally, I would be more interested in writer or artists who have praised the lyrics or Mick's sculpture work.
"The world is a king, and, like a king, desires flattery in return for a favor; but true art is selfish and perverse - it will not submit to the mold of flattery." Ludwig von Beethoven
gokartmozart
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby heartofdavid on Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:41 am

gokartmozart wrote:And why has there been no collaborations with Bowie (Merry Xmas Mr. Lawrence doesn't really count).

Personally, I would be more interested in writer or artists who have praised the lyrics or Mick's sculpture work.

I think the two Davids met in the early 80s. David S. said something to the effect that he wished he hadn't met his hero, that he'd been disappointed.

I don't think I've ever heard any artists talk about Mick's sculpture except for a perfunctory mention by either Peter Murphy or Midge Ure during the time they collaborated with Mick.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:34 am

Julianne Regan has mentioned DS quite a few times in the past. All About Eve were great and anyone wishing to check them out, I recommend Keepsakes a recent double CD (with DVD of videos for those of us that got in quick!), which collates a lot of material.

C
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Cheery Cherry on Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:03 pm

heartofdavid wrote:I think the two Davids met in the early 80s. David S. said something to the effect that he wished he hadn't met his hero, that he'd been disappointed.

Really? Do you know why Mr. Sylvian was disappointed?

peterw wrote:In the early 80's we had bands like Japan and Tears for Fears, and now look at what we have being played on the radio and television today. Makes me want to cry.

I am crying with you.
Cheery Cherry
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:22 pm

Cheery Cherry wrote:
heartofdavid wrote:I think the two Davids met in the early 80s. David S. said something to the effect that he wished he hadn't met his hero, that he'd been disappointed.

Really? Do you know why Mr. Sylvian was disappointed?

I don't think it was anything in particular, something to the effect that David S. had a certain image/expectation of Bowie, and he turned out to be different than he'd imagined - which I think sounds like a typical fan thing.

Cheery Cherry wrote:
peterw wrote:In the early 80's we had bands like Japan and Tears for Fears, and now look at what we have being played on the radio and television today. Makes me want to cry.

I am crying with you.

Pass the tissues. I mean, there's always been bad music around, but it seems to me that a greater portion of today's music is unremarkable, you forget it as soon as you hear it. For me, it often doesn't even register, it's static muzak, as much of a listening experience as listening to traffic.

Good new music exists, loads of it, but it doesn't get radio or television play. Where does a person go to find it? Most of the music magazines are boring and uninformative, I think, they all repeat the same stuff - they've progressively grown worse. Internet? Unless someone points you to something specific, it's the proverbial needle in a haystack hunt, largely a waste of time.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:37 pm

I so agree with that last comment about today's music :(

And Nick Rhodes's comment (from the Ask Katy section on DD.com) It also includes references to Porcupine Tree:

June 3rd, 2004

Hi, Saw Duran both nights at Wembley for the 5th and 6th time and was left speechless. Having read comments from Roger that the band are in it for the long run now, now seems the opportune time to ask these questions i have harboured for a couple of years.

I would assume that Nick at some stage in his career has met Richard Barbieri (ex Japan keys), who has been playing keys in Porcupine Tree since 1993. I am a massive PT fan, been there since 1993, have all their releases and seen them loads.

Question 1) What does Nick think of PT and the awesome talent of Mr. Steven Wilson?

Question 2) Given that Duran and PT have the same views on an ailing music industry and have the 80’s link, any chance of some sort of collaboration, swap keyboard players for some live shows or recordings? Even Nick getting involved with PT’s idea for making a film of their next album, which apparently has been written as potential script for a film.

Question 3) How about Steven Wilson producing some Duran material?

Yours truly. Shaun

“”Shaun, I did meet Richard way back when JAPAN were recording the “Gentleman take Polaroids” album and we were working in the same Studio. However, can’t say that I have seen him since, I liked his work back then, but am not familiar Porcupine Tree (great name) but I guess I will have to try and get back to you on this one if I get a chance to listen to them. As for Steve Wilson, we have no plans to work with him. NR”
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:07 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:oh i adore Roland... :-)

I've always liked Tears for Fears, one great album after another. Roland's solo album, "Tomcats Screaming Outside" is just as good, if not better, than anything the band did.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:38 pm

sisterlondon wrote:"...I liked his work back then, but am not familiar Porcupine Tree (great name) but I guess I will have to try and get back to you on this one if I get a chance to listen to them.”

It would be easy to make a crack at that remark, but then I never heard of Timbaland until info started coming out about the new DD album, and I still don't know who or what he is or what he's done musically, so I guess I'm further out of the musical scene than Nick is, lol.

*still loves Nick* ;-)
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:57 pm

Hee, well, I suspect that Nick now has to be aware of PT! The last album got alot of press in the UK after all and climbed till number 31 ;)
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to General Discussion