Boys v girls

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Postby New Romantik on Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:18 pm

I'm a straight guy, but I also look at them from a fashion standpoint as well as music. If they all looked like old, fat men with leiderhosen, I don't think I'd like the band as much as I do now.
Something about a band's image really makes them unique, makes them cool. Japan's image was unique and cool. It definately has a factor on why I like them (because I'm into that free expression way of style...anything involving quirky fashion or hair) but I wouldn't say that I base them off of that.
I like them for Mick Karn's bass, the synths, the vocals, the chords and melody. But yes, their interesting appearance has a part in that.
New Romantik
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby S4pB on Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:27 pm

New Romantik wrote:I'm a straight guy, but I also look at them from a fashion standpoint as well as music. If they all looked like old, fat men with leiderhosen, I don't think I'd like the band as much as I do now.
Something about a band's image really makes them unique, makes them cool. Japan's image was unique and cool. It definately has a factor on why I like them (because I'm into that free expression way of style...anything involving quirky fashion or hair) but I wouldn't say that I base them off of that.
I like them for Mick Karn's bass, the synths, the vocals, the chords and melody. But yes, their interesting appearance has a part in that.

I used to believe any person's image is a kind of language, and musicians' is a part of communication with public, self-expressing, as well as music, but less...
"Well, welcome to the ocean, welcome to the sea, welcome to the jungle deep inside of me.."
S4pB
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby New Romantik on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:21 pm

To me a bands image is half of what makes them stand out...and really make a statement.
New Romantik
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby heartofdavid on Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:30 pm

I think image can be a strong identifier, and a way to connect with an audience, but it also can be a trap. It can also stick a label on something and stop development. I think the artists who've become widely known for their their image have constantly evolved it, Bowie for example. Some artists have done just fine without any particular visual concept for the individuals in the band, and instead have focused on visuals related to the music.

And then there are the artists who've set free their inner nerd, like David. ;-) Fine by me!
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Previous

Return to General Discussion