Your interest in Japan....

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Postby Burnsjed on Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:02 pm

Hi Rhodesia,
The music doesn't do anything for me at all, I find it all to contrived, and it is not a gender of music that I care for.
I sometimes find it unbelievable that the band that produced those two albums evolved to write Quiet Life, it is almost as if they were doing something that wasn't them.
The only connection I can make between the first two albums and their last 3 is OA, and that comes across better in later performances for me.
I have never really appreciated rock music, though there are a few exceptions, and they have come about later in life really.
After spending 10 years in a band, and nearly all that time recording and not performing live, my taste for music took a very serious tone to it, to the extent that I was never listening to anything much that was particularly popular, which is why I can probably appreciate a lot of what Blemish has to offer.
I can get lost in listening to Sylvian and find it very relaxing, just like I can listening to Jazz, Classical or Opera, I can't say the same with the first 2 albums, and only ever really listened to them due to who produced them.
I don't want to sound like some pompous old twit, but it's all down to taste, and it never hit a chord with me.
I find a lot more appeal in the glam music of early Bowie then I could ever find in that period of Japan, I just didn't think they were very good.
Then again I find country music absolutely dire, yet millions of American's would disagree with me!
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:07 pm

Rhodesia32 wrote:I think that David tries to play up his new wave cred too much sometimes. He never has the greatest things to say about 'AS'...it seems like he was ashamed of that era or something.

Perhaps, but you'll find most artists feel that way. As they grow personally they reflect that into their music and it's almost a statement of where they are at that time. So to them what they are currently working on is the most relevant. If it weren't, why indeed would they even continue?
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Burnsjed on Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:11 pm

Rhodesia,
out of interest do you actually dislike Sylvian's solo material to the extent that you wouldn't buy or listen to it?
From looking at your favourite albums, we do indeed have very different tastes in music.
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:31 pm

Burnsjed wrote:Rhodesia,
out of interest do you actually dislike Sylvian's solo material to the extent that you wouldn't buy or listen to it?
From looking at your favourite albums, we do indeed have very different tastes in music.

I own Brilliant Trees, and Secrets....the only time I think that I might enjoy his music would be if I was walking through a heavily wooded area in the middle of October. With the leaves turning different shades of brown, and whatnot I think it would be really atmospheric.
http://www.myspace.com/hanoi123
Meyrav wrote:Can you imagine David sitting on an elephant topless?!
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby John Trevethan on Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:14 pm

Ah... a little friction, yes that IS unusual for JapanSylvian.com!

Are potatoes better than rice? Are beans better than carrots, or apples better than oranges. One, the other, both, neither - who knows! I think most people would say "it depends" regarding food (or the color analogy as Heart Of David pointed out).

But watch out when it comes to politics, religion... and music! (Oh yeah, lets not forget sports teams.)

Unfortunately Rhodesia32 appears to be in the minority here (at least among those who are posting). Although I think if S4pB were here she would also feel that the first two Japan albums are the best.

An interesting example about an opinion based on facts: the exact same facts that undeniably support Rhodesia32's opinion of the superiority of AS may be the identical facts that secure Vapor's belief that AS is crap.

For me, I just try to follow three guidelines regarding taste:

1. Enjoy, relish, savor and delight in the things that you love - but never expect others to like them as much, or in the same way as you do.

2. Accept that others are capable of enjoying radically different things than you enjoy. (Hey, some people love liver!)

3. Always keep an open mind regarding taste, because you never know when yours might change.
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby sonic_chronicler on Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:46 pm

Rhodesia32 wrote:Japan is one of the few bands that I can see a very defined, and gradual evolution of their music. For this reason I don't really value 'AS' anymore than 'Tin Drum'.

I have to say I don't agree with you there. Defined evolution, yes, gradual? no.

The first stage of Japan's career differs so greatly from the later stuff. It's almost as if (and I think a lot of people have found this) it is two completely different bands.

The thing that hits you first is of course David's totally different vocal style. Singing like that was not natural for him, and if he had continued like that I don't think Japan would have achieved the recognition they got - I also think his throat would be shot by now.

Musically the first albums are less mature, lyrically the themes almost seem to be confrontational and sensationalist for the sake of it.

Yes there are shades of the Japan to come, particularly in 'The Tenant', but the jump to Quiet Life is massive. Yes the guitars are still there, but in a totally different way. They went from being Glam wanabees to Roxy copyists just like that (OK that is really oversimplfying it, but the Roxy themes and links are there)

From there they employed more and more synths until they, not the guitars became the base of the music.

Don't forget the Disco influences in there as well. I love Japan dearly (heck, I even rate their version of Don't Rain On My Parade), but they were all over the place before settling on 'their' sound.

[quote="Rhodesia32"
I think that David tries to play up his new wave cred too much sometimes. He never has the greatest things to say about 'AS'...it seems like he was ashamed of that era or something.[/quote]

I can't agree with you here either, David kept himself as far apart from all of that as he could and has continued to do so - that's why he only plays a few choice nuggets of Japan tracks live - he's not one to rest on his laurels.

DS has presented himself as a muso and an experimentalist. He invited people outisde if the world of 'pop' to work with him, and has gained a great deal of respect in the community he works in.

----------------

I had to check, and I don't mean any disrespect in this at all, but on your Myspace page it says that you are 19 - Sylvian revisiting AS or OA - or even any of the Japan stuff would be like you performing stuff you wrote before you were born - it is from a different lifetime.

I think it is great that Japan and their members appeal to all ages - long my it continue to be so.

Sonic
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:21 pm

sonic_chronicler wrote:Defined evolution, yes, gradual? no.

The first stage of Japan's career differs so greatly from the later stuff. It's almost as if (and I think a lot of people have found this) it is two completely different bands.

Considering the timeframe from Adolescent Sex (April 1978) to Tin Drum (November 1981), the evolution is amazing. Four and a half years to go from one extreme to another - wondering if they hadn't imploded where they would or could have gone next. As the songwriter, its David's evolution really, and knowing what he wrote after, I can't see Japan as the band who would have recorded an album like Brilliant Trees.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:04 pm

Well, at least Rhodesia got everybody posting at length and sharing their thoughts about this. I always find this subject interesting no matter who the band/artist is.

I do like the first two albums I think because they are so different from the later work. For over twenty years the only album I owned was Tin Drum and I liked that, but when I began in earnest to acquire and listen to all of their catalogue I found I liked something about every album and/or liked the progression/direction they were taking with their style and sound.

In response to John T's big three points to ponder, which I paste here:
For me, I just try to follow three guidelines regarding taste:

1. Enjoy, relish, savor and delight in the things that you love - but never expect others to like them as much, or in the same way as you do.
-----Yes, I learned this long ago, probably the first lesson I had as a lover of all things music. Try as I may, I cannot make everyone feel the passion I do for certain artists.
2. Accept that others are capable of enjoying radically different things than you enjoy. (Hey, some people love liver!)
This one is easy because I always hope that people can accept my radical tastes.

3. Always keep an open mind regarding taste, because you never know when yours might change.
How true this one is!!!! Case in point for me: Big Country. I have probably spent the last twenty years hating Stuart for something I thought he said derogatory about Duran Duran and similar type bands, which He probably never actually said anyway. But because I was 17 at the time and it was the music i loved, It really peeved me, although I always thought "In a Big Country" was such a strong song.

But now? I absolutely love them, and Stuart's work---all because I heard a few more songs courtesy of XM radio, and a set of older AND wiser ears. All that time wasted---but I AM making up for the lost time. My other regret is that I didn't do this in Stuart's living years--I'll be aplogizing for that the rest of my life.
Yes, an open mind is a great thing!!!!
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby New Romantik on Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:14 pm

Well, since I never followed their solo careers, I think my answer would have to be yes. As long as I have my early Japan to listen to, I'll be fine! :-D
New Romantik
Obsessed
Obsessed

Previous

Return to General Discussion