Your interest in Japan....

Talk about anything Japan-related.

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:01 pm

BeehiveSecrets wrote:
Rhodesia32 wrote: Maybe you enjoy David Sylvian's soulful (boring) solo albums.

tell me 10 reasons why, in your oppinion, those soulful albums are boring and i'll take you seriously.

I don't care if you take me seriously. I happen to think that his solo material is highly overrated. I had extremely high hopes for my first time hearing 'Brilliant Trees'...I thought if Mick's first solo album was good then David's would be excellent. Wrong. Even more disappointment after I heard Secrets Of the Beehive, I thought this was supposed to be his masterpiece?

I realise that being in a certain frame of mind, helps you to enjoy David's solo albums but, I have already been through this meloncholy phase with many other bands, and I don't care to go through it again.

David's solo albums are not anywhere in the same league as JAPAN. I don't see the solo albums as an extension of Japan, more like an abrupt end to a brilliant band.
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby BeehiveSecrets on Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:06 pm

Rhodesia32 wrote:
BeehiveSecrets wrote:

tell me 10 reasons why, in your oppinion, those soulful albums are boring and i'll take you seriously.

I don't care if you take me seriously. I happen to think that his solo material is highly overrated. I had extremely high hopes for my first time hearing 'Brilliant Trees'...I thought if Mick's first solo album was good then David's would be excellent. Wrong. Even more disappointment after I heard Secrets Of the Beehive, I thought this was supposed to be his masterpiece?

I realise that being in a certain frame of mind, helps you to enjoy David's solo albums but, I have already been through this meloncholy phase with many other bands, and I don't care to go through it again.

David's solo albums are not anywhere in the same league as JAPAN. I don't see the solo albums as an extension of Japan, more like an abrupt end to a brilliant band.

then you ought saying "IN MY OPPINION", "I BELIEVE", "I THINK" because stating that JAPAN ARE BETTER THAN DAVID SOLO is like comparing hot and cold, haven't you noticed? the only similarities i see in their music might be David's voice. and it's weird since he used to compose both, i thought that at first. anyway, shut this down becus it's like trying to take water from a dry well.
BeehiveSecrets
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby VaporTrail on Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:10 pm

Rhodesia32 wrote:
BeehiveSecrets wrote:

In your opinion right?
VaporTrail
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:11 pm

I could sit here and tell you it's my opinion that the sky is orange. You would tell me that I was wrong, and that the sky was in fact blue. Eventually you will have to cross the line between fact an opinion. If people want to say that David's solo material is better than Japan, then I will counter 'No, it's not'.
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby VaporTrail on Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:13 pm

Rhodesia32 wrote:I could sit here and tell you it's my opinion that the sky is orange. You would tell me that I was wrong, and that the sky was in fact blue. Eventually you will have to cross the line between fact an opinion. If people want to say that David's solo material is better than Japan, then I will counter 'No, it's not'.

and then we can read about it in every thread! That sounds awesome 8)
VaporTrail
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby BeehiveSecrets on Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:14 pm

VaporTrail wrote:
Rhodesia32 wrote:I could sit here and tell you it's my opinion that the sky is orange. You would tell me that I was wrong, and that the sky was in fact blue. Eventually you will have to cross the line between fact an opinion. If people want to say that David's solo material is better than Japan, then I will counter 'No, it's not'.

and then we can read about it in every thread! That sounds awesome 8)

yeah, truly fantastic! 8)
BeehiveSecrets
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:16 pm

Where else have I stated that David's solo material is overrated? I thought this would be a proper thread to express this particular opinion. Also, throwing out the 'well, thats your opinion' card is really lame.
Last edited by Sylvian's Beard on Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby BeehiveSecrets on Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:17 pm

Rhodesia32 wrote:Where else have I sated that David's solo material is overrated? I thought this would be a proper thread to express this particular opinion. Also, throwing out the 'well, thats your opinion' card is really lame.

for sure! :):)
BeehiveSecrets
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby VaporTrail on Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:22 pm

Rhodesia32 wrote: Also, throwing out the 'well, thats your opinion' card is really lame.

How so? Your opinion isn't fact, so when you state it as one it tends to upset people. and THAT'S just lame.
VaporTrail
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby BeehiveSecrets on Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:24 pm

VaporTrail wrote:
Rhodesia32 wrote: Also, throwing out the 'well, thats your opinion' card is really lame.

How so? Your opinion isn't fact, so when you state it as one it tends to upset people. and THAT'S just lame.

aww, leave it - can't you see she/he can't stand David's solo and she/he's in love with Adolescent Sex? that's worth respect!!!
BeehiveSecrets
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:26 pm

I'm not tip toeing around opinions. To me, it's fact. Choose to agree, or give your reasons why you think I'm wrong. I gave you reasons why I don't care for David's solo material. Why do you think it's better than Japan?

EDIT TO ADD: I love all things JAPAN...not just 'AS' :)
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby BeehiveSecrets on Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:29 pm

Rhodesia32 wrote:I'm not tip toeing around opinions. To me, it's fact. Choose to agree, or give your reasons why you think I'm wrong. I gave you reasons why I don't care for David's solo material. Why do you think it's better than Japan?

if it's a fact to YOU you could also keep it to YOU. discussions are based on facts and reasonable oppinions, not on subjective.. "facts"
BeehiveSecrets
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby VaporTrail on Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:30 pm

Rhodesia32 wrote:I'm not tip toeing around opinions. To me, it's fact. Choose to agree, or give your reasons why you think I'm wrong. I gave you reasons why I don't care for David's solo material. Why do you think it's better than Japan?

EDIT TO ADD: I love all things JAPAN...not just 'AS' :)

I think it's better because the level of experimentation in his solo work is greater than what Japan did. Now, I love Japan's work after Quiet Life, no opinion really on the two albums prior because I've only heard a few tracks, but I what I love so much about David's solo work is that explores such a wide range of music and breaks new ground in doing it.

Plus I'm a sucker for great melodies and I like the ones he developed later on a bit better than the ones with Japan.
VaporTrail
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby BeehiveSecrets on Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:34 pm

VaporTrail wrote:I think it's better because the level of experimentation in his solo work is greater than what Japan did. Now, I love Japan's work after Quiet Life, no opinion really on the two albums prior because I've only heard a few tracks, but I what I love so much about David's solo work is that explores such a wide range of music and breaks new ground in doing it.

Plus I'm a sucker for great melodies and I like the ones he developed later on a bit better than the ones with Japan.

all i can do is agree, call me whatever you want. there's so much childish feeling in the two first albums. i mean they tend to be adult, but they're so teenager and at times cheap.. i ain't saying that they're bad, i adore many of the tracks from the first two albums, but oh man, David is all about style, it's his trademark. do you see that much style in AS and OA? aw wait, that's a stupid question of me to ask. can we like.. stop this
BeehiveSecrets
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:37 pm

BeehiveSecrets wrote:

if it's a fact to YOU you could also keep it to YOU. discussions are based on facts and reasonable oppinions, not on subjective.. "facts"

I'm not keeping anything to myself as far as my opinion on music goes, if it gets a heated debate going, why not.

EDIT TO ADD: Beehive Secrets..compared to alot of other glam bands at the time, Japan were extremely mature.
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion