STYX - Do They Have a Prog Quality To Them?

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

STYX - Do They Have a Prog Quality To Them?

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:10 pm

The_Prog_Lord wrote:Truly The Proglord is pleased to see such questions being asked and is happy to give the Quantavius entity the answer he desires.

The Proglord's mission assigned to him by His Wakemanness is to spread the Progospel across the earth and accordingly he advises all entities to take a liberal view as to what is Prog and not be tied down by the snobbery that has so beset the disciples of the progiverse in decades gone by.

So he speaks unto you, the denizens of this domain of back-combed hair, silicon enhanced women of ill repute, and squeaky overamped charvel guitar tones saying this.

There are some key areas to observe when attempting to divine the Progosity of potential progreator. By no means is this an exhaustive list, and by no means are all required if it strikes a chord of prog in your hearts when you listen to it then you bring joy to the progiverse (unless it is that pile of Shite The Elder) but the types of queries the proglord outlines below will help guide you onto the righteous path of prog and ensure when your time comes to ascend the twin head St. Peter/Archangel deity shall smile upon you when it views the playlist of your life and open the gates to prog valhalla and not cast you into the vicious unerworld where Whigfield blasts on a continual loop and the frippatronics are used to torment the aural centres of the damned.

In this case the proglord uses the band Styx to show the key indicators in answer to the question of the Quantavius Entity.

Band Name - In this case derived from ancient mythology. 1 mini prog cape.

Use of extended keyboard or other instrumental solos - An example is given in this question. 1 mini Prog Cape.

Use of huge array of complex equipment - Dennis De Young's set up was huge and incorporated Grand Piano and accordion. 1 mini prog cape.

Bafflingly Obscure Concept Albums - The work concerning Kilroy which is alluded to is set in a future world where rock is made illegal and the singer of the band has been interred. The concept is so complex some band members admitted to being unable to comprehend it and a short film was made explaining it to the audience for the tour. The staging of the concept tour was so expensive as to make it a financial diaster (truly they learn from the Grand Pooh-Bah). 5 mini Prog Capes.

Use of fiendishly complex and unpredictale time signatures - Not in their pop rock incarnation although some early works display this although not to the extent of grand progreators like Rush or Yes. 1/2 a mini Prog Cape.

Album Covers Featuring Fantasy Art or Surrealist Photography technicques -
Image 2 mini Prog Capes.

So let it be known that the progreators Styx are not the pop-rock cheesesters many think them to be for surely their work earns them a seat at the high table in the Grand Pooh-Bah's private dining chamber which sits on the penthouse floor of the 42 storey keytar shaped skyscraper which is the centrepiece of that area of the progiverse which he commands.

Let these not be the sole tests or require a mini prog cape be awarded in every category before you classify it as prog but follow these guidelines my friends and the key to the glorious afterlife where the keyboard solos never end and rare Camel studio outtakes are uploaded to your progpod every morning is within your grasp.
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:11 pm

Styx played at one of my high school dances (Maria High School in Chicago), back in 75 or 76 it was. They'd just released "Lady" but it wasn't yet a hit. I saw JT Young many times at a family friend's house, he was going to Illinois Institute of Technology with the oldest son. Blast from the past!

Decent band though, although I don't really like Dennis DeYoung's voice that much - sometimes I find it annoying. I like their Equinox album a lot.

Got a kick out of reading that prog-diagnosis, btw. Personally, I don't consider them prog, simply pop-rock.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby VaporTrail on Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:45 pm

Styx do have a quality about them........a BAD one :-D
VaporTrail
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby krausy on Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:48 pm

VaporTrail wrote:Styx do have a quality about them........a BAD one :-D

I know what you mean, V-P. I do like some of their stuff, I just have a hard time with Dennis De Young---seems like the older he gets, the weirder he becomes........
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:09 am

STYX rule. The synth solo on Crystal Ball will melt your face.
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:18 am

krausy wrote:
VaporTrail wrote:Styx do have a quality about them........a BAD one :-D

I know what you mean, V-P. I do like some of their stuff, I just have a hard time with Dennis De Young---seems like the older he gets, the weirder he becomes........

Kraus, again we agree 100%!
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby VaporTrail on Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:22 am

No sir...........I don't like 'em

hehehe, yeah they just bore the hell out of me, as does most of that type of music. DeYoung's voice = nails on chalkboard.
VaporTrail
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby proggrl on Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:48 am

Well I know what Vapor's going to be busy doing this Saturday:

http://www.livenation.com/event/getEven ... p=23546902

He's buying up some front row tix! :-D
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby VaporTrail on Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:56 am

proggrl wrote:Well I know what Vapor's going to be busy doing this Saturday:

Tell ya what, how about you go instead of me, and then tell me how it was? :-D
VaporTrail
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby krausy on Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:58 am

:smt078
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:40 pm

VaporTrail wrote:

Tell ya what, how about you go instead of me, and then tell me how it was? :-D

I think I might be busy that day poking a finger in my eye. Sounds about as much fun!

Although given the dates, I'll probably be doing some PT travellin'. :-D :-D
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:52 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing Gowan, I always thought he'd been overlooked in the States. He was amazing in the 80s, wonder what he sounds like now.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Open Season