Looking for Rush Recommendations

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Looking for Rush Recommendations

Postby heartofdavid on Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:36 am

Anyone have recommendations on Rush albums? I've never much followed this band, only have 2112, Fly By Night, A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres.
Last edited by heartofdavid on Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby VaporTrail on Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:54 am

hmmmmm Rush change their sound so often, no two albums are the same. I'd say check out Moving Pictures, Grace Under Pressure, and their new one, Snakes & Arrows to get a good sampling of all of the phases their music has gone through.
VaporTrail
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby heartofdavid on Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:25 pm

Thanks, I'll make note of those.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:49 pm

I wouldn't recommend anything beyond Fly By Night. Save for Moving Pictures. Boring stuff IMO...
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:51 pm

But that skips the earlier period - I wouldn't necessarily say Caress of Steel, but Maybe Farewell to Kings or perhaps Exit ... Stage Left (live) would be a good dose of earlier Rush.

Enjoy. :)
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:20 pm

I do prefer the earlier Rush albums I have, maybe I'll look into that period first. I hated the song Tom Sawyer, that's when I lost all interest but I'm willing to give the newer stuff a listen - I've seen the newest album in the used cd shop and it made me curious about them. Think I'll go pick up a few.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:22 pm

The new album is really good, also may want to try Signals (mid period and prob one of my faves, along with AFTK).
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby The Analog Kid on Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:54 pm

after several listens i think the new one (snakes & arrows) is a huge letdown - the tunes just don't cut it!

otherwise follow Proggrrls advice: A Farewell To Kings, Exit ...Stage Left and Signals (albeit the latter is mor ein the synth drenched period - so depends on which phase you like)

personally I like the whole AFTK & Hemisphere to Signals era and maybe also Grace Under Pressure included too!

cheers

Eric
Noone takes polaroids anymore
The Analog Kid
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby camphorvan on Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:32 am

You can't go far wrong with 2112 - seminal album and a concept album to boot. Yes, We Will Rock You (not that I've seen it), nicked their ideas....
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Fred1967 on Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:09 pm

I would recommend to get a compilation album from them so you will get a good idea what to expact. You could try to get the album Gold
or Chronicles

My personal favorites are: Exit....STage Left, Hold your Fire, Permanent Waves, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, Presto, Rush in Rio and my all time favorite Signals

Fred
Fred1967
Noob
Noob

Postby New Romantik on Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:39 pm

YEAH, EXIT ROCKS! I was blown away by how amazing they are live...I had only heard their album versions, but if you want to hear an excellent array of music live, check out EXIT...STAGE LEFT. I picked it up at a Yard Sale on Casette and they obviously didn't play it much because the sound quality is mindblowing!!!

WHY AM I WRITING IN CAPS!??!??! :P
New Romantik
Obsessed
Obsessed

Return to Open Season