Any Musicians Here?

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Any Musicians Here?

Postby Gabzi Nemo on Tue May 26, 2020 10:38 pm

Sup’ Homies! :smt006

I was just wondering if anyone around here played any instruments. If so, then how long and what’s your favorite song to play? Since I’m a guitarist I must know these things :P
{Insert life-changing mantra here}
User avatar
Gabzi Nemo
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri May 15, 2020 10:09 am
Location: Places

Re: Any Musicians Here?

Postby Foales Arishes on Thu May 28, 2020 2:35 pm

Gabzi Nemo wrote:Sup’ Homies! :smt006

I was just wondering if anyone around here played any instruments. If so, then how long and what’s your favorite song to play? Since I’m a guitarist I must know these things :P


I don't call myself a musician, but, I do make music and have a multitude of instruments... A number of years ago I got into Native American style flutes, when I came across a player and maker not far from me [Nigel Shaw on Dartmoor]... This started me down a musical route that has gone crazy, and now I have many flutes, whistles, recorders, synths, cello/violin, guitars and all manner of other stuff. I have a studio in a large converted barn/workshop, where I also paint and exhibit [I've been an artist full time for 20 years]..... I mostly make ambient style stuff, and make films to go with them. It is now part of my artwork and exhibitions.

Last year I started getting into electric guitars, and bought a cheap second-hand Squier Strat (96 sunburst), and earlier this year I got a nice Fender Telecaster... now I want more; it's a madness.

What do you have and what sort of stuff do you play/create ?... What guitars do you have... I must know these things :lol:
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:15 pm

Re: Any Musicians Here?

Postby Foales Arishes on Thu May 28, 2020 2:37 pm

.
Last edited by Foales Arishes on Fri May 29, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:15 pm

Re: Any Musicians Here?

Postby Gabzi Nemo on Thu May 28, 2020 10:32 pm

Well, I have 5 guitars (my personal fave is a Fender Stratocaster) and an Ibanez Sound Gear bass that I enjoy fiddling with sometimes. I generally play whatever I feel, which generally ends up being rock or a not very serious form of jazz. I’ve only been playing the guitar for 4 years so I am not professional in the slightest but I have been trying to bring my skill level up. I have been toying with the idea of finding a band to join for quite a while with no luck thus far.

May I ask what you use to record your work with? I need to get a good mic and some decent mixing software, as although my cassette recorder is fun it doesn’t really lend itself to creating anything worthwhile.
{Insert life-changing mantra here}
User avatar
Gabzi Nemo
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri May 15, 2020 10:09 am
Location: Places

Re: Any Musicians Here?

Postby Foales Arishes on Fri May 29, 2020 2:04 pm

Gabzi Nemo wrote:Well, I have 5 guitars (my personal fave is a Fender Stratocaster) and an Ibanez Sound Gear bass that I enjoy fiddling with sometimes. I generally play whatever I feel, which generally ends up being rock or a not very serious form of jazz. I’ve only been playing the guitar for 4 years so I am not professional in the slightest but I have been trying to bring my skill level up. I have been toying with the idea of finding a band to join for quite a while with no luck thus far.

May I ask what you use to record your work with? I need to get a good mic and some decent mixing software, as although my cassette recorder is fun it doesn’t really lend itself to creating anything worthwhile.


For recording I use Reaper Digital Audio Workstation... http://reaper.fm/ that I run on an old Pentium T4300 laptop, which is a pro quality and feature rich DAW with amazing support... it's also very reasonably priced [you can also use it free forever, but that would not be in the spirit of the way they do things].... It has a huge library of built in effects plug-ins and you can add many more free, or reasonably priced ones with ease.

I have a Studio Projects B3 large capacitor mic, and a matched stereo pair of Sontronics STC-1S.... both of these are towards the budget end of the market, but there are tons of good mics around such as the Rode NT1-A or the Audio Technica AT2020. With this sort of kit you could easily make superb demo quality tracks, or with care, even professional standard stuff, if you're not pushing the boundary’s too much.

The USB interface I use between the mics and my synths/keyboards and the laptop is a Cakewalk UA-25 EX... but again there are loads of well priced interfaces starting for under a 100 great british pounds. The final thing is some monitor speakers... and again mine are budget end ESI nEar 05's... they received good reviews at the time, but there will be great options from $150 I would imagine.

That's a lot of text, sorry... but, the main point is you don't have to spend a fortune to get amazing results, if you're careful how you record and process things. I love my cheap set-up, although it has some frustrations, such as lack of inputs, so I'm always switching cables, depending on what I'm recording... but, other than that, it does what I need it to do.

As for guitars, yeah, love a nice Strat.... Fender is -for me - the guitars I feel most comfortable with. I love the look of the Les Paul's, but in the hand they don't do it for some reason. Strat's & Tele's just have something that connects, and that is the most important thing.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:15 pm

Re: Any Musicians Here?

Postby Gabzi Nemo on Sat May 30, 2020 8:46 pm

Thank you so much for all of the help! I didn’t know exactly what I should get on the recording side of things, and I didn’t know anyone local that could help me in the matter.

Foales Arishes wrote:
As for guitars, yeah, love a nice Strat.... Fender is -for me - the guitars I feel most comfortable with. I love the look of the Les Paul's, but in the hand they don't do it for some reason. Strat's & Tele's just have something that connects, and that is the most important thing.


The strat works best for me too; I simply find them easier to play in general.

Foales Arishes wrote:I mostly make ambient style stuff, and make films to go with them. It is now part of my artwork and exhibitions.


Can I see your artwork anywhere online? I’m just nosy :3 I enjoy ambient tracks (I’ve been enjoying Harold Budd’s and Robin Guthrie’s album Before the Day Breaks lately specifically, it’s a nice listen :D). I used to draw a lot until I did a bit too many portraits which killed has killed my mojo for the past year :/
{Insert life-changing mantra here}
User avatar
Gabzi Nemo
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri May 15, 2020 10:09 am
Location: Places

Re: Any Musicians Here?

Postby Foales Arishes on Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:00 am

Gabzi Nemo wrote:Thank you so much for all of the help! I didn’t know exactly what I should get on the recording side of things, and I didn’t know anyone local that could help me in the matter.

Foales Arishes wrote:
As for guitars, yeah, love a nice Strat.... Fender is -for me - the guitars I feel most comfortable with. I love the look of the Les Paul's, but in the hand they don't do it for some reason. Strat's & Tele's just have something that connects, and that is the most important thing.


The strat works best for me too; I simply find them easier to play in general.

Foales Arishes wrote:I mostly make ambient style stuff, and make films to go with them. It is now part of my artwork and exhibitions.


Can I see your artwork anywhere online? I’m just nosy :3 I enjoy ambient tracks (I’ve been enjoying Harold Budd’s and Robin Guthrie’s album Before the Day Breaks lately specifically, it’s a nice listen :D). I used to draw a lot until I did a bit too many portraits which killed has killed my mojo for the past year :/


In terms of gear and getting a set-up to do decent home recording, it's a great time to be alive... the days of mucking around around with basic four tracks, minimal effects, and bouncing down to make more space, with terrible consequences to quality are long gone. My gear (which must be ten year old now) is far from the best, and no doubt starting now you can do even better than my examples...

My instagram has some art, and there is a link to my Wordpress, which is neglected... feel free to have a look.
https://www.instagram.com/markabdey there is a couple of tracks here too https://soundcloud.com/user-540980619 and two vids here https://vimeo.com/user109664192

I know he is one of the ambient greats, but I've never listened to Budd... so, maybe I should. It's odd, I make kind-of ambient stuff, but I don't listen to much of it... I suppose the scores mentioned in the other thread are basically ambient, though often with a bit more edge.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:15 pm

Re: Any Musicians Here?

Postby Tin Bird on Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:21 am

I created experimental ambient music for a number of years as Birds of Tin.

https://soundcloud.com/birds-of-tin
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
User avatar
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:47 am

Re: Any Musicians Here?

Postby Gabzi Nemo on Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:20 am

Awesome stuff guys :D

Does anyone else have any artwork/music posted online? I love to give these things a look through :P
{Insert life-changing mantra here}
User avatar
Gabzi Nemo
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri May 15, 2020 10:09 am
Location: Places

Re: Any Musicians Here?

Postby Blemished on Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:52 pm

Hi. Also dabble in music.

Just released this...in an electronic/ambient vein. Has a nice video with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUolv_ovs-s
User avatar
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner
 
Posts: 418
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:12 pm
Location: London


Return to Open Season

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests