Dark Star Safari

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Dark Star Safari

Postby silentwings on Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:29 pm

The tracks 'Where's Your Gravity' and 'Do You Know Me Now?' by David Sylvian feature music by Erik Honore, Jan Bang and Eivind Aarset. These musicians are all involved in a new band project, 'Dark Star Safari'.

They have just released their first song, 'Resilient Star', and preorders are available for the album. Please do have a listen to the song on bandcamp, link below. When you play the song a video also pops up with details of the making of the album.

I find the track a real 'grower', and I'm enjoying Jan Bang's singing very much. 'Resilient Star' has something of the vibe of the recent 'Exit North' project featuring Steve Jansen.

https://arjunamusic-records.bandcamp.co ... tar-safari
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Dark Star Safari

Postby Quiet Visitor on Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:50 pm

Thanks, just saw your last remark about Exit North - exactly my feeling.
Hadn't thought these musicians would come up with a vocal album.
Ordered!
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Dark Star Safari

Postby Quiet Visitor on Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:39 pm

Just received Dark Star Safari. What can I say? "Scott Walker lives!" comes to mind. A lot of tracks have the same mysterious sound as a lot of Walker's albums like "Tilt", although a lot more melodic. The way the vocals are "doubled" also gives you the impression of a marriage of Walker and Sylvian. Favorite track: "Resilient Star" (because of Aarset's lovely guitar-part).
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Open Season