new Andrea Chimenti out now, listen to the stream

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

new Andrea Chimenti out now, listen to the stream

Postby kitaj on Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:50 pm

the new Andrea Chimenti album, 'Yuri' (named after his novel of the same name, released months earlier), has been released today, and it sounds like a winner. it was produced by his son and his son's bandmate in Italian neo-prog band, Sycamore Age.
here you can listen to 'Yuri' streaming in its entirety for a limited period:
http://www.rockit.it/andreachimenti/album/yuri/28863
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Re: new Andrea Chimenti out now, listen to the stream

Postby Quiet Visitor on Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:50 am

Thanks a lot. I've visited his website every now and then to see when the new album would be released, now I've got this information right here! :D

I ordered it from my favourite shop for Italian music: Dischi Volanti
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:41 pm

Excellent news. Have you read the novel, kitaj? And if so, do you recommend it?
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:38 am

reading it now, am 1/3 into it. I'm not good at recommending books as they depend too much on one's own tastes and I'm not the greatest expert on belles lettres anyway. so far I like what I'm reading but it's too early to make up my mind yet. it's very fantasy-ish (cold-fantasy-ish) and I've heard it gets way darker and grittier towards the end. anyway, the cd is approachable in its own right without prior knowledge of the book.

Quiet Visitor - thanks for the Dischi Volanti tip! I actually live mostly in Croatia, about 120 km from the Italian border but, since we're still out of Schengen, it feels like having the iron curtain all over again as far as ordering stuff from 'the West' is concerned.. my preference is for Amazon.it as they regale you with the mp3s while you're waiting for the physical cd to drop by your house.
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Quiet Visitor on Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:37 pm

kitaj wrote:Quiet Visitor - thanks for the Dischi Volanti tip! I actually live mostly in Croatia, about 120 km from the Italian border but, since we're still out of Schengen, it feels like having the iron curtain all over again as far as ordering stuff from 'the West' is concerned.. my preference is for Amazon.it as they regale you with the mp3s while you're waiting for the physical cd to drop by your house.

You're welcome.

It's a nice Swiss shop. It recently was updated, so it looks a lot better.

I ordered almost all albums from Andrea from it, also because ordering from Italy is also difficult for me. A lot of shops don't have English pages, which makes it hard to search and understand.

The fine thing about it is the personal touch. Sandro is a very nice chap, who remembers you after each visit. He's a great fan of the music of Alice, b.t.w.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:04 pm

Hey guys, thanks to both: Dischi Volanti has indeed some interesting stuff that's not easy to find, and the review on Chimenti's book is good enough for me to want to order it. :D
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:10 pm

And here's the new video:

http://youtu.be/0P3r8cnVpFI

I have to say it's been a long time since I've last been so enthused by a music video.
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Chad on Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:15 pm

That is great. I'm intrigued now. The only track of his I have in my collection is Ti Ho Aspettato. I just wish I could speak french so I could follow along.

I'm always impressed at how europeans can bounce languages like they do. Thats highly discouraged where I'm from. They like to keep us americans conservative and dumber than a bag of hammers. I cant wait until we have another dumba ss republican in the white house. I'm sure we'll start up couple more stupid wars in no time at all. I'll apologize up front and right now. Its gonna happen. Just sayin...

But hey... we've come a long way in gay rights and legal marijuana. We got that goin' for us. :)
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Quiet Visitor on Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:08 pm

Chad wrote:That is great. I'm intrigued now. The only track of his I have in my collection is Ti Ho Aspettato. I just wish I could speak french so I could follow along.

Well, if you could speak French, you still couldn't sing along.... It's Italian. :-D

I received the album today. Wonderful, daring, scary. Although the songs are quite short, Chimenti knows how to tell a story (which I don't understand either). But hé, the music tells this story too. Interesting instrumentation (Theremin, violin, saxes, etc.)
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:13 pm

kitaj wrote:And here's the new video:

http://youtu.be/0P3r8cnVpFI

I have to say it's been a long time since I've last been so enthused by a music video.

Thanks! Enjoyed it very much (and as I wrote ^^: it's scary stuff).
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:30 pm

Quiet Visitor wrote:Well, if you could speak French, you still couldn't sing along.... It's Italian. :-D

ha... I swear I was thinking Italy but my fingers translated it wrong... I swear. To me it makes little difference tho. I hope I didn't offend anybody. Politically or otherwise...

Hey I got a question for you euro guys. If I were to visit, would I need to show my passport at all the boarders? Say if I flew into London, and wanted to go to france via italy... :-) would I need to go through multiple security checkpoints?
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby svendutchmountains on Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:04 pm

Chad wrote:
Quiet Visitor wrote:Well, if you could speak French, you still couldn't sing along.... It's Italian. :-D

ha... I swear I was thinking Italy but my fingers translated it wrong... I swear. To me it makes little difference tho. I hope I didn't offend anybody. Politically or otherwise...

Hey I got a question for you euro guys. If I were to visit, would I need to show my passport at all the boarders? Say if I flew into London, and wanted to go to france via italy... :-) would I need to go through multiple security checkpoints?

Hi Chad,

It would depend if the country in question has signed the Schengen Agreement. If you were to go from Europe to the UK you would need to show your passport. If you were to travel from the UK to Europe, same.

If you want to travel from the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Spain, Portugal, France, Austria, Italy to NL, B, G, CH, ESP, P, F A or I then you do not! In fact, travelling across most of Western Europe is pretty much like travelling between States in the US. You would hardly know there was a border...

Google "Schengen Agreement" and you should find a list of the countries in question. Travelling to any of the countries not on the list means you need to show a passport.
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby inkinthewell on Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:41 pm

I really love this album. The songs are great and, to my ears, nothing sounds wrong in the arrangements. And I think that Andrea has a very beautiful and expressive voice.
On "Yuri Cap 5", a spoken word track, it's amazing how sweet his voice sounds, although what he's saying is devastating. Probably any actor would have read it with violence, tragically, but he keeps it smooth, and, in the end, the shock is stronger.
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:55 am

November last year saw another new album by Andrea Chimenti: “Il Deserto La Notte Il Mare”.
Special guest is saxophone-player David Jackson of Van Der Graaf Generator.
https://www.andreachimenti.it/
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Open Season