New Albums This Year

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

New Albums This Year

Postby Tin Bird on Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:23 am

I am looking forward to new albums this year from:
The Lilac Time (No Sad Songs)
Sufjan Stevens (Carrie and Lowell)
Patrick Wolf
Colleen (Captain of None)
Stubborn Heart
James (Laid remaster)
China Crisis (Autumn in the Neighborhood)
Godspeed You! Black Emperor (Asunder, Sweet And Other Distress)
Last edited by Tin Bird on Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: New Albums This Year

Postby svendutchmountains on Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:35 pm

I am looking forward to the China Crisis album as well - if only because I paid for my copy two years ago through crowd-fund raising and still haven`t received a bl**dy thing! In the meantime those guys are larking about...
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tin Bird on Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:52 am

Ha...that's funny...I've kind've been thinking the same thing. Have started to have a differnt perspective on the whole Pledge music thing....I did the same thing w Hardcore DEVO Live (should be getting a signed copy) and it hasn't arrived while it's for sale on Amazon.
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:02 am

Got my signed DEVO CD today. Was worth waiting for to have their autographs. Cool! :-)
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:53 am

I wish David would give us a carrie and lowell. It's such a beautiful well written record. Flourishes of lap-pedal steel guitar reminiscent of darkest dreaming. Plenty of space, nothing jarring or abrasive or offensive or depressive. Just beauty. I wish.
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Simonp on Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:43 am

The day David releases an album like Carrie and Lowell is the day I stop listening. Insipid 60's melancholia. Turgid at best. The jarring stuff works for me Chad but then you think anyone who enjoys listening to There's A Light...is either profoundly deaf or mentally ill
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:25 am

How have you guys heard the album when it hasn't been released yet? Surely Come on Feel the Illinois and Age of Adz are not "insipid" and "turgid" or 60s-ish.
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:32 am

Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:58 am

Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:13 pm

I have a good buddy that does music reviews for a seattle rag. He's privy to a lot of stuff. Occasionally he shares. The last track on Carrie and Lowell, Blue Bucket of Gold leaves me absolutely speechless. And thats not easy to do :)

Simon I see you've been sucking up to David on facebook. You guys are on a first name basis now. But that doesn't change the fact that his new stuff blows goats. He's lost in the woods now. As far as I'm concerned his career ended with Snowborne. I hope he proves me wrong.
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Chad on Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:44 pm

Simon say what you want about Sufjan but I think he's a fricken genius. I mean if you think I'm an assh0le thats fine and that might even be true. But if you refuse to give something a chance just because I said its cool, that's your fuckin loss not mine. You give me way to much control.

Sufjans Illinoise is good but it always reminded me of watching a parade go by. Very whimsical and happy. Maybe a little to much so. If you get a chance check out BQE and Age of Adz. AA is about a artist named Royal Robertson. A man driven insane by his art. Sound familiar?

BQE in its entirety-

https://vimeo.com/100146540

Check out the Make Documentary about Royal Robertson. Its kinda cool.

17 minutes here -

http://www.blooddirtandangels.com/index ... 6/26/make/

This live version of Its Too Much Love is incredible. I wish he had explored this Jon Hassell-ish sound a bit further. Best bits at about 3:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kfPmInRLts
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tin Bird on Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:25 am

Chad, I loved Adz, although it is so super busy w noises and sounds that it took me a while to take it all in....I love the album but feel that the electronics actually overwhelm some of the tracks a bit...

as for Illinois...I have to disagree with your description of "happy".... c'mon John Wayne Gacy, The Seer's Tower, Concerning the UFO Sighting near Highland, Illinois certainly are anything but "happy'.

Some of my fave lyrics from the album:

"And in my best behavior
I am really just like him
Look beneath the floorboards
For the secrets I have hid"

"Still I go to the deepest grave,
Where I go to sleep alone"

"Goldenrod and the 4H stone
The things I brought you
When I found out you had cancer of the bone

Your father cried on the telephone
And he drove his car into the Navy yard
Just to prove that he was sorry"

quite introspective, borderline depressing if you ask me....

Either way, I think he is a genius ...whether or not the more stripped back acoustic based new album will appeal to me as much remains to be seen. I'm thinking it will....
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:37 pm

Lyrically yes I agree. It just seems so elaborate with all the fixins, almost exaggerated at times. I forgot about that Gacy song. That section you quoted is so brilliant - "And in my best behavior I am really just like him. Look beneath the floorboards for the secrets I have hid" It kind of reminds me of Davids work sometimes.

AoA is very experimental. I cant believe he scored a billboard top 10 with that record. The live link I listed above was a rehearsal gig for these recording sessions so when it came out it caught me completely off guard. I even think the auto tune stuff on Impossible Soul is great. Having gone through my own tribulations during that time I could totally relate -

Stupid man in the window
I couldn't be addressed
All my delight, all that mattered
I couldn't be addressed
From what I liked, from what I gathered
I couldn't be addressed
Stupid man in the window
I couldn't be addressed

And don't be shy in the window
Come down and give your best
Oh, delight in the window
I couldn't be addressed
Stupid man in the window
I couldn't be addressed
From what I like, from what I gathered
I couldn't give my best

The new record is about abandonment and death, so dont expect a 'happy up here' kind of record. It does leave you with a feeling that he's dealt with it and ready to move on. You know its just the way he bounces from symphonic composition to experimental edm and then back to acoustic/trip hop orientated stuff so effortlessly just blows me away. Genius may actually be an understatement.
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tin Bird on Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:23 pm

Yeh, Impossible Soul is just sublime. Another track that gets me is Now That I'm Older. Great stuff! He’s playing near me on the upcoming tour….seriously considering going.
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:54 am

Chad wrote:Simon I see you've been sucking up to David on facebook. You guys are on a first name basis now. But that doesn't change the fact that his new stuff blows goats. He's lost in the woods now. As far as I'm concerned his career ended with Snowborne. I hope he proves me wrong.

Its relentless with you Chad, the negativity. Sucking up to David on Facebook? no, I'm just being polite towards someone I've nothing but respect for as an artist. Is that so bad? You think his career ended with Snowborne? That's great for you. I think he's produced some brilliant music since then. Which is why I continue to follow him and be polite towards him. You on the other hand, I have no idea why you are still here
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Open Season