New Albums This Year

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Re: New Albums This Year

Postby Simonp on Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:56 am

Chad wrote:Simon say what you want about Sufjan but I think he's a fricken genius. I mean if you think I'm an assh0le thats fine and that might even be true. But if you refuse to give something a chance just because I said its cool, that's your fuckin loss not mine. You give me way to much control.

Im not giving him a chance because of you? Don't flatter yourself pal. Im not giving him a chance because I don't think his music is particularly good.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:53 am

Simonp wrote:Its relentless with you Chad, the negativity. Sucking up to David on Facebook? no, I'm just being polite towards someone I've nothing but respect for as an artist. Is that so bad? You think his career ended with Snowborne? That's great for you. I think he's produced some brilliant music since then. Which is why I continue to follow him and be polite towards him. You on the other hand, I have no idea why you are still here

I'm sitting here trying to think of what David has actually accomplished in these last 10 years. I mean he's written what, 12 songs? 12 songs in 10 years Simon. That FB post about a 35 year old single is the most attention he's gotten in years. What exactly does that say?

I'm here to piss you off... of course. :) There's actually some pretty good discussions that happen here. We all love art and like to share. So why are you here? To defend the honor of manafon? Tell me Simon, what is it that excites you? How can anyone live in the depths frank wright on a daily basis. There has to be some light ...right?
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Simonp on Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:29 am

Manafon excites me, there's your answer.
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:51 am

Simonp wrote:Manafon excites me, there's your answer.

Yeah me too... but not in the same way. Just curious, are you still really listening to that after 6 years? A cup a joe and dose of manafon in the morning? Sounds like a great day to me.

18 songs. I stand corrected. Some of them I dont think he even contributed too. Some of them probably written before SnowBorne. Some of them improvised, hard to call them written. Ninety percent of which would have been pitched by any other artist. But hey we've got a Bamboo Music reissue to look forward too. :)

Small Metal Gods
The Rabbit Skinner
Random Acts of Senseless Violence
The Greatest Living Englishman
125 Spheres
Snow White in Appalachia
Emily Dickinson
The Department of Dead Letters
Manafon
Died In The Wool
I Should Not Dare (For N. O.)
A Certain Slant Of Light
Anomaly At Taw Head
The Last Days Of December
When We Return You Won't Recognise Us
Do you know me now?
Wheres your gravity?
Frank Wright
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tin Bird on Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:58 am

Not to stick my nose into someone else's argument, but a few random thoughts...

This a Sylvian forum, but that does not mean that everyone is going to love everything David does....frankly, if we were all in lock step and agreeing on everything, what would be the point?
I seem to recall posting about something David had released a while back and I had some folks jump all over me...like I wasn't a true fan or how dare I post on a Sylvian forum something negative....I said then that I retain the right to my own opinion and will share it when and how I see fit...if that wrinkles "true" Sylvian fans the wrong way..so be it. I agree w Chad about Manafon to an extent.....I am not a huge fan, although I did quite like a couple of the tracks (Small Metal Gods, Emily Dickinson, Snow white in Appalachia I think are brilliant) and would like for him to go back to a more structured song-based approach....if it doesn't happen i will still listen, but I am hopeful.
That said, it does seem like you have kind've already driven the nail home about Sylvian's latest work Chad. We all know that you don't care for it....which is fine and cool...however if you belabor the point to such an extent, i think folks start to think that you are messing with them or attacking them personally. Not saying you are, but it may appear that way to some....obliviously there is no need for that. If someone really digs Manafon, they have different taste than you...not WRONG tastes...just different. I would agree with you that in my world Beehive is wayyy better than Manafon and it does surprise me that there are some that would disagree, but nevertheless art is in the ear/eye of the beholder. I love Jackson Pollock and Mark Rothko paintings...I like them better than Monet....many think Pollock paintings look like a three year old spilled paint on the floor...it is what it is... :-).....
Have to add, it also surpises me that a Sylvian fan would not like Sufjan Stevens....again it is what it is...but I just see a lot of similarities....introspective third person lyrics, odd time signatures, strings...etc....

Anyway....I've been through this in so many other arenas...the idea of solid truth vs relativism....as much as it pains me, when it comes to music and art (and probably everything else), truth is relative. Revolver is not the "best" Beatles album (yes it is!), Ringo was not light years better than Pete Best (yes he was!), Secrets of the Beehive is not a better album than Manafon (yes it is!)....
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:33 pm

The songs that work for me are Small Metal, I should not dare, Certain slant. With out melody and structure there's nothing to pull all those sound elements together. It doesnt work. But you're right Tin. My apologies Simon. I'll shut up about it.

The Sufjan-Sylvian analogy is very valid. They are both coming from a spiritual place. Both show the courage to experiment. Both are on very different trajectories. For anyone else out there reading along check him out and discuss.
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tin Bird on Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:11 pm

Cool. I was worried that I was going to come off holier than thou....I am most certainly not! I just kinda dig this forum and don't want it to devolve into a bitch fest like every other forum I've ever been on. It probably still will...you know people and all....but at least i can say I tried! :-)
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:35 pm

I'm still listening to Manafon now so that answers your question. And what's the relevance of the 18 song thing? It took him 12 years to release a solo album after Beehive and even in those years in between he only some collaborative stuff

Chad. You don't like what he's doing now, fair enough but just keep banging on about it or having a go at people who actually enjoy things like Manafon and There's a light..

It's like people that go out for dinner...they'll like one kind of food or they won't. Would you have a go at them if they didn't enjoy the same food as you?

Chad wrote:
Simonp wrote:Manafon excites me, there's your answer.

Yeah me too... but not in the same way. Just curious, are you still really listening to that after 6 years? A cup a joe and dose of manafon in the morning? Sounds like a great day to me.

18 songs. I stand corrected. Some of them I dont think he even contributed too. Some of them probably written before SnowBorne. Some of them improvised, hard to call them written. Ninety percent of which would have been pitched by any other artist. But hey we've got a Bamboo Music reissue to look forward too. :)

Small Metal Gods
The Rabbit Skinner
Random Acts of Senseless Violence
The Greatest Living Englishman
125 Spheres
Snow White in Appalachia
Emily Dickinson
The Department of Dead Letters
Manafon
Died In The Wool
I Should Not Dare (For N. O.)
A Certain Slant Of Light
Anomaly At Taw Head
The Last Days Of December
When We Return You Won't Recognise Us
Do you know me now?
Wheres your gravity?
Frank Wright
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:27 pm

Simonp wrote:It's like people that go out for dinner...they'll like one kind of food or they won't. Would you have a go at them if they didn't enjoy the same food as you?

I guess that depends on what they have on their plate. Just messing with ya...

Sufjan releases since 2005

Come on feel the Illinoise (girl rock your boyz?)
Avalanche
Songs for Christmas I & II
The BQE
Age of Adz
All Delighted People
Carrie and Lowell
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Simonp on Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:01 pm

And what's the relevance of listing Sufjan's output?
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:03 pm

Simonp wrote:And what's the relevance of listing Sufjan's output?

blood pudding and haggis... whats up with that? :)
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby depeon on Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:36 am

I see Sufjan Stevens got a mention in the guardian review yesterday. And Melody Gardot returns June!
depeon
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby missouriman on Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:03 am

Ingrid was/is a fan of Sufjan Stevens. I seem to recall her saying David was a fan. Personally, I tried listening to it, but I don't care for his voice. That breathy thing.

Having said that there's something about this one.

https://youtu.be/PAJCUGD6FtM?list=PL071E21FC86F0012A
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:46 am

You know, it is weird that you mention his voice. I have tried to turn my best buddy on to Sufjan and he cited the same issue...didn’t care for his voice. I find this bizarre because I don't see any oddity in his voice at all...like rather on the quiet, pleasant, almost nursery-rhyme quality side....not overly falsetto like say a Wild Beasts and not obtuse like say These New Puritans. I hear him in the realm of a Death Cab for Cutie/Postal Service/Decemberists kind've vein...not sure why others' hear it different. I would have thought that some of his arrangements would be too much for some folks....odd orchestration, or maybe the flamboyant outfits he wears on occasion...but don’t get the voice issue at all….
Of course over the years I have encountered many folks who can't stand David's voice as well..too mannered they say..nobody really sings like that...so, again, to each his own....
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:40 am

Tin Bird wrote:Of course over the years I have encountered many folks who can't stand David's voice as well..too mannered they say..nobody really sings like that...so, again, to each his own....

I always called it the Bryan Ferry syndrome. Some people just cant make the jump.
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

PreviousNext

Return to Open Season