Matte Henderson

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Matte Henderson

Postby Quiet Visitor on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:19 pm

I became aware of guitarist Matte Henderson through the third album of Andy Rinehart, Pillbox. As you know on Rinehart's second album, Jason's Chord, Mick played a prominent role. Well, Henderson just released his first solo-recording, The Veneer Of Logic, although I haven't seen a physical edition yet.

Does anyone know on which album or on what occation Matte played with Mick?

Debut disc from monster guitarist, Matte Henderson. Matte has worked with John Medeski, Screaming Headless Torsos, Henry Kaiser, Natalie Merchant and the late Mick Karn. One part electronica plus one part progressive post-rock, Matte mixes and stirs together an incredible team of players for “The Veneer of Logic”: uber-drummer Marco Minnemann, Tony Levin, David Torn, Pat Mastelotto, Trey Gunn, Mary Pastorius and Doctor Know of Bad Brains.

Here's an interesting quote, from an interview with Matte:

This is a wildly original album that will dazzle you, leave you breathless, and possibly result in delirium. But within these freewheeling compositions are the sonic blooms resulting from seeds earlier planted. "Several tracks are homages to my favorite guitarists," says Henderson. "'Myers Lane' is my bow to Exposure-era Fripp. 'Whirled' and 'ppgf' are nods to Bad Brains which saved me from a life of jazz-fusion treacle. 'Single Cell Shark' reflects my fascination with David Torn's boundary-breaking work. 'My Whirled' was written for the late Mick Karn, who was scheduled to work on it before his health crisis. As a tribute to him, I went with a Dali's Car vibe for that tune.

Now there's a song that's called Whirled on it, but I doubt that's the track he meant. I guess it should be My World, which indeed has a Karnish/Dalis Car-like vibe.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Matte Henderson

Postby Quiet Visitor on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:44 pm

Just noticed that CDBaby has the CD-version (including a DVD with the making of).
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Open Season