Death of Sir John Tavener

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Death of Sir John Tavener

Postby missouriman on Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:42 pm

John Tavener passed away aged 69.

A fan of David Sylvian too.

Probably best known for his piece "Song for Athene" which was sung during Princess Diana's funeral. (Also a David Sylvian fan).

http://youtu.be/II_QgNkG5jg
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Death of Sir John Tavener

Postby Blemished on Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:19 pm

A great loss. I particularly liked his work for the 'Children of Men' soundtrack. Fragments of a Prayer and The Lamb are stunningly beautiful pieces of music.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Quiet Visitor on Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:18 am

Blemished wrote:A great loss. I particularly liked his work for the 'Children of Men' soundtrack. Fragments of a Prayer and The Lamb are stunningly beautiful pieces of music.

That's the one that came to my mind too. The way that album was constructed is somewhat comparable with the soundtrack for Shutter Island, feauturing modern classical composers and amongst others Brian Eno.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:47 am

What a sad loss :( I have many recordings of his work and find them deep and often very moving. I particularly love his work with Patricia Rozario, whose voice is quite remarkable; she was very much a muse for him and you can understand why. He, like Pärt, became saddled with the 'holy minimalist' tag, which was quite ridiculous, as his music was often anything but minimal [though always holy]... I think he was an interesting and experimental composer, with a varied palette... The Whale to his Requiem to Towards Silence, all very different, all engaging and interesting.

I'm sure many new compositions will keep appearing for years to come, as he was very prolific, and there must be much work that has yet to be performed, or recorded, but it is very sad to think that is it.

RIP Sir John.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Open Season