king crimson returns

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

king crimson returns

Postby Chad on Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:01 am

The new line up to include Gavin Harrison, Bill Rieflin, Tony Levin, Pat Mastelotto, Mel Collins, Jakko Jakszyk and Fripp. Definitely a new direction. I'd trade mastelotto out - too many skins.
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Re: king crimson returns

Postby baht habit on Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:03 am

Thanks for the update Chad.
Though when one breaks it down, this really may not entirely be such a 'new direction' - as Fripp, Collins, Jakszyk, Levin and Harrison have already released "A Scarcity Of Miracles" as a unit in 2011. In my opinion, the musical content on that album was quite good - even more so if one purchased the deluxe edition and became familiar with the alternate versions of Secrets, The Other Man and particularly the superior mix of The Light Of Day (where the skill of Harrison especially was illuminated). I personally enjoyed ASOM much more than recent KC releases with Belew - where the dense music didn't give enough room for Belew.
Yet, in my opinion, where that projekct fell far short was Jakszyk's lyrics and vocals. His guitar and keyboard parts were fine but the lyrics were either cliche and nondescript or extremely contrived at moments...plus he relied far too much on contributing 'oohs' and 'ahs' within certain sections where such contributions seemed unnecessary - vocals that sounded as if they were added in an attempt to remind the listener that he is there rather than being sung with the aim of serving the song. So hopefully, Jakszyk will somehow rise to the occasion next year.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: king crimson returns

Postby Chad on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:04 am

I agree with you 100% baht. Especially the Jacko stuff. That guy has been hanging around trying to get this gig for years. If I remember right, he had his own KC tribute band at on time. I guess he finally succeeded.

I feel bad for Adrian but like you said, the last few lp's were disappointing. If was time to try something different. I'm not sure about the 3 drummer thing. I find Mastelottos drumming abrasive. No finesse whatsoever. He might as well be drumming with sledgehammers. IMO it would be better to add a keyboard player. Maybe Jordan Ruddess, Eddie Jobson... Tigran Hamasyan. :)
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Return to Open Season