david bowie

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Re: david bowie

Postby Quiet Visitor on Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:11 pm

David has left the "Stage" which he helped to build. MHRIP.

NP "Stage"
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:58 pm

Did the David's paths ever cross?... there are times when DS looks a lot like Bowie at certain times, and I wondered if there was some influence at least.

Actually I've just read DS's Facebook comment on his passing, and it seems not... he said he's not heard a DB album in decades.

From DS's Facebook.

So much will be written over the coming months, decades, there’s little, if anything, to add. I’ll keep it brief. I was speaking with a friend recently about how, particularly those who grew out of the US punk era, created a classic album with their debut and how difficult that must be to live with but, to have created one classic album in a lifetime is more than enough. Bowie did much more than that. He changed the entire landscape of popular music and beyond. Who else managed to do that since the Beatles? Whom else since? Now that he was beyond any level of criticism it was as if he was about to throw caution to the wind and reach new levels of experimentation in his work. (I'm no expert. I've not heard a Bowie album in decades. No chastisement please, no recommendations). This is a significant loss. But Bowie’s status as legend is signed and sealed. At home with the stars, literally, metaphorically. My first thoughts were of David Jones the father and the loss this must be to his young family. Heart goes out to them. peace.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:53 pm

Foales Arishes wrote:Did the David's paths ever cross?... there are times when DS looks a lot like Bowie at certain times, and I wondered if there was some influence at least.

Forbidden Colours has been their only "connection".
Watching the video back in the day, my mates and I used to joke about David Sylvian being David Bowie's little brother. Funny that Bowie does not appear in the video...
By the way, great editing. Compared to this, all the CGI crap looks so cheap.

One of the comments to the video on this page reads thus:
"no less than David Bowie himself ask for David Sylvian to sing this"
No idea if there's any truth in that.
Anyway, DS was a great DB fan in his youth.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:26 pm

I think especially the instrumental ambient-like tracks from Heroes and Low, like Sense Of Doubt and Warszawa must have influenced Japan on tracks like Ghosts, The Tenant etc.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:48 pm

Blackstar is an amazing album. Dark, disturbing, intense....yet melodic, catchy, and somewhat poppy.
I love the title track, Lazarus, and Girls Loves Me. My fave Bowie record since Scary Monsters...(a long time ago...)
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Previous

Return to Open Season