david bowie

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Re: david bowie

Postby SomeAre on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:28 am

Hi,
Oh great so I'm normal.
Well I've been insulted to death on a Bowie forum for showing my disliking of the new album, even my sex life was a possible cause apparently.
I was a Bowie fan, I liked his late 70' s catalog , even Let's Dance was enthralling.
Heathen wasn't all bad.
I've said it before, in the 80's I pictured Bowie growing into a more eclectic artist, like Sylvian eventually did.
In the last 10 years I rediscovered Sylvian and all his satellites, up to Tim Hecker's brilliant opuses. So I"m more into eclectic and electronica. Maybe that's the reason I cannot listen to rock anymore, it doesn't get to me.
Like most of you, Where are we Now sounded promising.

P.
SomeAre
Noob
Noob

Postby depeon on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:45 am

On the subject of Bowie, has anyone else heard Claudia Brucken's cover of Bowie's "Everyone says Hi" from the Heathen album? A lovely piece of pop.
depeon
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby SomeAre on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:47 am

Indeed I love it, the reference to Space Oddity is interesting.
SomeAre
Noob
Noob

Postby digimarsh on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:22 am

I personally love the new Bowie album it is powerfull and subtle , the lyrics typically observant and incisive , hooks a plenty , prevocative melodies and his voice is sounding very good indeed. Sometimes it is easy to look a little too deep at a release (especilly from someone so fabled) , i enjoy this album for what it is very fine music.
I enjoyed Heathen but not all of Mr Bowie's post 1980 releases, you see i do not like Earthling and actually really do not like Tonight, but that is just my taste, others beg to differ.What i would say is ;i thought Mr Bowie had decided to hang his guitar up so to speak so to get this 10 years after the last offering is ....well ...magic..
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:28 pm

digimarsh wrote:I thought Mr Bowie had decided to hang his guitar up so to speak so to get this 10 years after the last offering is ....well ...magic..

:smt038
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Stephenf on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:22 pm

My opinion, absolute rubbish. I just listened to it and i might as well have just gone back to mid to late eighties Bowie.
Now before all you Bowie lovers descend to throw your tuppence worth in i have great respect for the man and all he contributed to where music lies now, his 70's collection right up to Scary Monsters has no equal but surely this is just a nod to the past as sentimentality and the fear of what might be kicks in.
I'm disappointed by the lack of imagination through musicianship and invention, he had a great opportunity for one final tale and i am sorry to say that the story told has been quite bland.

For me it is just a homage to his own past.
Stephenf
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Stoobie on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:58 am

On a day off, scrolling through this website catching up (not been here in a while) whilst listening & loving Bowies "Next Day"

Stoobie
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:32 am

Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Lord Brett on Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:33 am

I'm a little late to the party, but generally I'm enjoying The Next Day far more than 'Hours' and Heathen (I rather liked Reality).

Although I wish DB would take a more experimental direction, there seems to be an energy and joy in the performances that was missing from some of the post-Earthling work and his vocals have a range and vitality which was conspicuously absent from the plodding (IMHO) Heathen.
Lord Brett
Noob
Noob

Blackstar

Postby SomeAre on Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:24 am

so far the 2 tracks released are wonderful. The sound is airy unlike The Next Day which sounded so compressed and cluttered at times.
SomeAre
Noob
Noob

Re: Blackstar

Postby Foales Arishes on Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:07 pm

SomeAre wrote:so far the 2 tracks released are wonderful. The sound is airy unlike The Next Day which sounded so compressed and cluttered at times.

I'm not a DB fan, and until the track Blackstar was released I had never bought anything by him... I've heard four tracks from the album now... Sue, Tis a pity.... Blackstar (which I bought) and Lazurus (which only leaves three track unheard :( ) and I'm not sure if I'll buy the CD.

The title track has power and mystery, which is lacking from the other tracks I've listened too... there is also way too much sax for me, which is not my favourite instrument. The other three tracks will need to be quite something to make me buy the album, but I continue to listen Blackstar 'the track' on a daily basis.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:33 pm

Well I did buy it; first thing in the morning on release day too... and I think its quite magnificent, apart from 'Tis a pity she was whore'... which I can't stand at the moment. The (title) track ★ is my favorite thus far, but Lazarus is a great track.

After one day I would say this is a great work... and its my first Bowie album too :oops:
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:40 am

Shocking news this morning... there had been rumors regarding his health, but recent reports seems to suggest he was in good shape.

As stated in an earlier post I was never a fan, but he and his music has always been of great interest... some of my earliest music memories are of his videos on Top of the Pops in the 80's and I'm watching clips now on the BBC news, and find myself welling-up.

I'm glad I came to him at the very end, and he's left us with a amazing goodbye with Blackstar.

RIP... my thoughts go out to his family.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:46 am

RIP David
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:21 am

I will truly miss him. The most difficult of my musical "relationships", it took me years to start liking his music, and then, every now and again, there'd be the odd record that I couldn't stand at all, so I'd look at his next one with suspicion. But he always managed to win me back.
And Foales's experience is a testimony that DB was a great artist.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Open Season