Listening Formats

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Listening Formats

Postby Simonp on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:44 am

Just read Javier's comment in Victim of Stars thread about CD's as a means of storing recorded material being a thing of the past. As a lover of the compact disc, I think it would be a very sad day if it became obsolete and digital download was the only way that music was available. What's everyones thoughts on this? Just curious.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Listening Formats

Postby Chet on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:01 am

I listen mostly to mp3s
plenty of my plastic cd boxes are broken
i like the digi packs
I treat the vinyls i have saved as Art
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lastgoldstar on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:15 pm

I mostly listen to mp3s. I still use CDs, but only in the car - I have some that I've purchased, but I mostly burn my own. Vinyl, however, is another story. I love to collect it, and I still listen to it.
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:11 am

I don't buy vinyls anymore, but I treat the ones I've got with great love and care.
I buy loads of CDs, then turn them to AAC files and put them on my iPods (i have 2 iPod classic). I've always had the greatest pleasure in listening to music through headphones, so the iPod (where i have stored all the music on my CDs and vinyls) was a godsend for me.
I don't like buying mp3s (or other digital formats), but I do if that's the only version available.

To Chet: plastic CD boxes are a nuisance. I buy most of my CDs online, so many boxes arrive broken after having been roughly handed by postmen :D . But I substitute them with empty boxes (they're cheap!).
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Wed May 23, 2012 7:16 am

Still love and acquire select things on vinyl - although don't have a player at the moment! One day... Couldn't resist the Talk Talk & Mark Hollis re-releases on vinyl.

Years ago a friend of mine with a superb sound system did a vinyl vs CD comparison using Hats by The Blue Nile (that CD was then regarded as an audiophile reference). The vinyl did sound subjectively better, or certainly 'warmer'. I know it's harmonic distortion that causes that effect but it works for me.

Love digipaks - avoid full plastic CDs whenever possible. I can't see CDs vanishing completely as there is always something more satisfying about the 'artifact', especially for music you love. Maybe one day it will be vinyl plus 96khz 24-bit digital audio file.

MP3 stores are great for finding new music without the clutter of CDs. The few things that I love I will then buy on CD.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby digimarsh on Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:00 am

Although i always have liked to own 'something' as a cd is (art work ect) i always use my ipod classic now,it's like my right hand. I have a couple of high quality docks around the house and i just plug in when ever. I do a lot of headphone listening too, thru high quality sony ones (not the ones that came with the pod).I only buy cds as collectors items now (sylvian ect). I tend to download a lot more from itunes ,using those vouchers quite often.
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Gabzi Nemo on Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:13 pm

I mess around with cassettes. The radio in my car broke (probably a good thing, as I messed with it way too much on the way to school). Since I can't commute without my sick jams, I got a little boombox. The sound quality is deliciously horrible. I'm thinking about recording some of my vinyl tracks with a few blanks :-D
{Insert life-changing mantra here}
Gabzi Nemo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Tin Bird on Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:22 pm

CD guy here. Vinyl went away years ago and I haven't caught back onto it. My son uses Tidal and I DO hear the sound quality there, however, I own quite a few CD's that are not available there. Plus, for me, streaming and downloads kind've seem to give no product...no album cover, no sleeve notes, no smelling the inside of the booklet. Just not the same. CD's for me were like miniature records minus the skipping, surface noise, and flipping over...plan to stay there. :-)
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:48 am

Mainly CD's, although sometimes I also play one of my 600+ LP's and I even place a cassette in the player now and then. Bandcamp often gives free downloads when you buy CD's which I indeed download but never listen to. Music through my computer I only listen to get an idea.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Gabzi Nemo on Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:19 pm

Quiet Visitor wrote:Mainly CD's, although sometimes I also play one of my 600+ LP's and I even place a cassette in the player now and then.

Lucky! I have about 40 LP's, but I do love every one of them. I bet you have all the cool rare stuff :D

I might have to start getting into CDs. I assumed that their sound quality was about the same as streaming. I've never really listened to them much except for the scuffed up ones my dad used to have.
{Insert life-changing mantra here}
Gabzi Nemo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to Open Season