birds of tin soundcloud

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

birds of tin soundcloud

Postby Tin Bird on Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:19 pm

Hello all,
I have just started archiving some of my work as Birds of Tin on Soundcloud and thought I would share the link.
Hope you enjoy! :-)

http://soundcloud.com/birds-of-tin
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: birds of tin soundcloud

Postby Foales Arishes on Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:45 pm

Some very interesting soundscapes you have created... good stuff.

What methods do you use to create your tracks?
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:38 pm

Thanks for asking. To be honest, as you may have seen, the tracks were recorded over a fairly long period of time 1996 - 2004. So, the methods changed over time. The earliest tracks were recorded to analog 4 track...lengthy delays, backwards tape loops ..etc were common. The later work was more sampler manipulation with prepared cd's and other sounds recorded to digital 8 track. Over the years I used everything from toys to cellos to field recordings to shortwave radio to get a sound. Once the sounds were collected, the pieces were all improvised pretty much live to disc. Very little post recording editing.
It was my way of creating art. A personal escape from the world. And a reflection of my soul. ;-)
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:01 pm

Tin Bird wrote:Thanks for asking. To be honest, as you may have seen, the tracks were recorded over a fairly long period of time 1996 - 2004. So, the methods changed over time. The earliest tracks were recorded to analog 4 track...lengthy delays, backwards tape loops ..etc were common. The later work was more sampler manipulation with prepared cd's and other sounds recorded to digital 8 track. Over the years I used everything from toys to cellos to field recordings to shortwave radio to get a sound. Once the sounds were collected, the pieces were all improvised pretty much live to disc. Very little post recording editing.
It was my way of creating art. A personal escape from the world. And a reflection of my soul. ;-)

Very interesting thank you... I find it particularly interesting how these sort of soundscapes can evoke feelings, memories and emotions, even though they mean nothing to me personally; they somehow tap into something deep within. I think this is why Manafon struck a chord with me, when I had not previously connected with any of Sylvian's work before, there is something within those sounds than I find meaningful, though I could never explain why.

I too love to experiment with various instruments and materials, though the end result is very different; more structured... less abstract.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:53 pm

"I find it particularly interesting how these sort of soundscapes can evoke feelings, memories and emotions, even though they mean nothing to me personally; they somehow tap into something deep within."

This is honestly the highest compliment you can pay my art as far as I am concerned. So, thank you.
While many of the abstract sound artists aim to purley create obtuse environments to lose oneself in (which I often enjoy doing myself), with my work, I strived to make some sort of emotional connection...to connect with the muse, to feel. A long lost memory, the joy of love, the warmth of a hug, a first kiss, leaves dancing on a light breeze, a sunset, childhood, loss, regret....it's all there. That you were able to sense that makes me very happy indeed.
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:26 pm

Have recently updated this so thought I would share....

https://soundcloud.com/birds-of-tin
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Open Season