Duran Duran to play in Second Life

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Duran Duran to play in Second Life

Postby Smalldot on Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:27 pm

If any of you play Second Life, http://www.secondlife.com

I stumbled across an interview with Nick Rhodes where he states that all the members of Duran Duran will create avatars in the game, create their own sims named after them where peopple can rent houses, own a part of the sim, have a business and what not.

The best part, Nick went on to say that Duran Duran will, eventually, host a live concert in game.

I've been to a couple of in game concerts and it is fascinating how it is done but really, unless your computer is very powerful, it is hard to go to events like that because of all the people taking up bandwidth.

P.S. Here's the link to the interview: http://www.duranduran.com/news/mov/NickSecondlife.mp3
Smalldot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby krausy on Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:47 am

yes, I heard about this too. In fact, there are now over fifty of the fans at their official fansite that have signed on to the game, and the number is growing as I write. I haven't yet joined but plan to, as soon as I get the time to sit long enough and figure it all out. Some of the more knowledgeable are helping the rest with what to do, etc and how to acquire stuff. The band is definitely doing concerts on there and are in fact the first band to join the game.

Chalk up another "first" for Duran Duran!!!!!
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Smalldot on Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:04 am

I've been playing SL since Feb. of this year, and there is definitely a learning curve. It took me about 2 months of solid game play to really get the hang of things.

Just remember, a good graphics card, LOTS of memory, and decent bandiwdht on your DSL should provide you with a pleasurable game experience.
Smalldot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby godisinthesilences on Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:13 pm

yup got it.... i'm getting really bored with d2 now... they seem like they are getting overly involved again in silly marketing stuff like they did in the 80s.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:45 pm

I joined but then I hesitated when having to download this thing to my PC. I don't know if I want it getting bogged down by anything else. Nor do I want to bog down my time with distractions anymore than I already do. So someone tell me what the deal is with this place? What's the game? Why should I bother?
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lastgoldstar on Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:51 pm

Sounds neat. I'd like to try it out after my Windows XP gets reinstalled. It's been doing some wonky things lately...

Though I have been known to play The Sims for hours on end. This may be dangerous for me, ha ha.

Edit: Well, I just made an account and clicked 'system requirements'... lmao, my processor is too slow to play. I have a stupid 567MHz processor temporarily because my old processor (I think it was 1.7GHz) went kaput.
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:58 pm

lastgoldstar wrote:Though I have been known to play The Sims for hours on end. This may be dangerous for me, ha ha.

Oh man, if you get addicted to games NEVER play SimTower- it is so ADDICTING!!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Smalldot on Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:45 pm

proggrl wrote:I joined but then I hesitated when having to download this thing to my PC. I don't know if I want it getting bogged down by anything else. Nor do I want to bog down my time with distractions anymore than I already do. So someone tell me what the deal is with this place? What's the game? Why should I bother?

Is Second Life a game? Yes and no. While you do get to create an avatar and wander around the land, there are people making a part time living in game buy designing clothes and selling them in game. Peole also create clubs and stream music into the clubs as well as get on the mic and talk in between sets. I've got 2 game friends, one who owns a club and her own internet radio company for the game, and another who designs clothes for the game and sells them in game as well as t-shirts on cafepress.com with designs from her second life clothing line. Both of these women are at the point where they are making a successful part time income.

You can generate game currency, Lindens, and there is an exchange market where you can change in your Lindens for real $. Since owning land and houses is also big in the game, people are becomming Second Life Real Estate brokers and making money at it.

In essence, you can treat it like a silly game, or you can get creative, learn the tools, and actually use it as a source of income.
Smalldot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby krausy on Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:22 pm

Thanks Smalldot for the info on the "game", if you can even call it that. It definitely sounds like it can cause confusion between the real and virtual world for some people. That is what kinda freaks me out about it, and as Proggrl stated, I don't exactly have the time to devote to joining and trying to figure it all out. The main reason that DD are into it is the chance to be the "first" band to become a part of the game and include their work in the form of "live concerts".

I must admit it is intriguing, and I most likely will check it out, I just can't promise it will become a habit (like this place---lol). I am also concerned about the system requirements and particularly if I have enough memory on my hard drive to even download it.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lastgoldstar on Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:12 am

Silver Moon wrote:Oh man, if you get addicted to games NEVER play SimTower- it is so ADDICTING!!

-K-

Getting a bit off-topic... what is this SimTower you speaketh of? I've heard of it but I've never really known what kind of Sim-type game it is.

The one Sim game I played and never really like was SimCity 2000. Yawn.
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Smalldot on Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:14 am

krausy wrote:Thanks Smalldot for the info on the "game", if you can even call it that. It definitely sounds like it can cause confusion between the real and virtual world for some people. That is what kinda freaks me out about it, and as Proggrl stated, I don't exactly have the time to devote to joining and trying to figure it all out. The main reason that DD are into it is the chance to be the "first" band to become a part of the game and include their work in the form of "live concerts".

I must admit it is intriguing, and I most likely will check it out, I just can't promise it will become a habit (like this place---lol). I am also concerned about the system requirements and particularly if I have enough memory on my hard drive to even download it.

Your welcome. And yes, if you play, you will want to have a computer well over the minimum specs that they recommend.
Smalldot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to Open Season