Scanning suggestions

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Scanning suggestions

Postby sheisnot on Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:15 pm

I saw something mentioned about scanning on some other thread and I thought I'd offer a little advice for making sure your scans turn out well. All of this advice assumes that you have a graphics program of some sort...Photopaint, Photoshop, something like that.

You should scan both grayscale and color images at a dpi of at least 300 (you can resize later). This helps to ensure that you pick up as much of the color and/or detail on the scan as possible.

Scans of color and grayscale images will come out with a "dot" (a dotted pattern that results from scanning process-printed material). To get rid of this, find the tool on whatever program you're using that will "despeckle" the image (this is usually in the same place as the "blur" option). It will get rid of that annoying dot pattern and make your scan clearer.

Use the brightness/contrast option to lighten or darken scans of old pictures that might have lost some quality due to age. This is usually pretty easy to find on any graphics program and is usually a sliding scale with a preview so you can experiment to get just the right enhancement.
It is all entirely perfect--it is as it should be.
sheisnot
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Silver Moon on Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:57 pm

Thank you so much for posting this, sheisnot!! This is all very true. And great scanning advice indeed!

-K-

PS: For those who aren't quite sure- The maximum size for pictures is 800 pixels wide x 900 pixels high. Maximum size is 150000.
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby heartofdavid on Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:01 pm

Thanks for the tips. I usually scan at 400, but the "despeckle" doesn't work well when the original pic is really crappy, I can't get that contrast to come out right. I keep playing around with it though. I usually give up in frustration, wasting too much time on one image, lol.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Bern on Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:24 am

Scanning Possiblities by illumination
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Lizzardqueen on Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:32 am

Bern wrote:Scanning Possiblities by illumination

Ha! Ha! Ha! YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He gave Jesus tattoos...........& took the devil's soul.........he got the angels drunk.........& gave them the gutter for a home...................
Lizzardqueen
Regular
Regular

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:31 am

I have another suggestion. When I am scanning my images that are quite small... say 2 x 3 or so... I scan them at an extremely high dpi of 1200. That way when I resize them to internet sizes of 72 dpi (which also happens to be screen value) I can make them the largest dimensions allowed on this particular site which I thought was 720ppi.
I use Photoshop.... I do use despeckle which is under filter/noise/despeckle.... if i find that is fraying the edges too much I used filter/noise/dustandscratches. This has chooseable dimension aspects and you should play around with these until you get the desired effect for yourself. Then I used filter/sharpen/unsharp mask tool to sharpen up the details.
Before sharpening you should always fix your levels, contrast and/or colour, plus resize it to your final image size.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lastgoldstar on Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:20 am

I wish I had something to scan, otherwise that's all very useful! I barely use my scanner, only for scanning drawings and whatnot.
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:59 am

I thought someone was going to be scanning more "Sons of Pioneers" and Photostory pics?

I haven't had the time to scan more myself, I'll try to get something up next week, try to use some of these tips too, very helpful.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:45 am

lol hhmm was that someone me?? LOL... I think i pretty much scanned the whole book... oops with pics of david. Sorry I'm just not really interested in the others... LOL
Oh i hope some day i can find a copy of the photostory book of japan...
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:39 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:lol hhmm was that someone me?? LOL... I think i pretty much scanned the whole book... oops with pics of david. Sorry I'm just not really interested in the others... LOL
LOL. Okay, maybe I'll scan from that.

Edit: I've added a few pics, will do more soon. I'll try to avoid duplicating pics already posted.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:00 pm

No I am the one who is supposed to scan from Japan Photo Story!

But I am still waiting to get back the translation. My friend has finished, and I will get it back next week. I will also type up the translation for you good people!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:34 pm

YAY!!!! Thanks A LOT Kera!!!!!
I can't wait to read and see it!!!! :-D
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:27 am

I've put into practice several of the suggestions here, pics are turning out much better!

*runs to scan some more*
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Open Season