Mick Karn

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Re: Mick Karn

Postby Stephenf on Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:11 pm

'Reverse elitism' i love it :lol:

The informed and intelligent posts that Baht leaves on this site are a joy to read and the 'inverted snobbery' of others when replying makes it more so.
As for MK i genuinely believe after reading his book that his decision to refrain from session work was more to do with his own loathing of the banal rather than his inability to read music.
His bass playing style wasn't everyone's cup of tea mind and certainly wasn't safe enough for the AOR or MOR when it came to choosing a particular type of musician.
I also felt that he was a tortured soul unwilling to conform to the norm whether it be in life or music.
The fact is though that in the 1980's he changed the way of thinking on how a bass guitar could actually be played as a lead instrument in popular music from which others took their cue card. At that time he was a great inspiration and i think that still resonates today even in his passing.
The only thing that saddens me is that he died virtually broke and for someone so gifted in music and sculpture thats a downright shame and indictment of the adage 'here today,gone tomorrow'.
Mick was truly one of a kind.
Stephenf
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Mick Karn

Postby Bern on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:50 pm

well said Stephen, and I have to say it Baht you just crack me up
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Previous

Return to Open Season