a moment...

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

a moment...

Postby sheisnot on Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:27 pm

it's a rainy day here in new orleans. i'm drinking a particularly fine cup of coffee, watching the rain and listening to "Mutability". it's a lovely moment.
It is all entirely perfect--it is as it should be.
sheisnot
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:44 pm

mmmmm sounds wonderful.... except my cousin is in new orleans right now voluteering with the clean up effort. I'm sure she's not enjoying doing that in the rain.

I listened to dboc this morning in bed.... just lazy and lovely.... Thalheim is definately one of my most favourite songs ever.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Introspective time

Postby Darkest Dreamer on Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:00 pm

I love a good cup of coffee, the rain and David Sylvian any day. David's music always makes me very introspective and relaxed. I am listening to Before the Bullfight right now and doing some painting.

I've been painting flowers lately and they are starting to look pretty good...almost flower-like. I'm having fun with it, and ofcourse I always listen to DS while I paint. I find the music is inspiring.

What is New Orleans like these days? I hope things are improving for everyone and life is getting back to normal. I am guessing that sadly for some of the neighbourhoods it might not be that way though. I would love to visit one day. I would love to see the beautiful architecture and hear some great jazz.
"I don't want to be alone with all my darkest dreaming..."
Darkest Dreamer
Regular
Regular

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:41 pm

darkest you should post some of work your work in your gallery some time! would love to see it!

I'm actually working on an upcoming solo show. I have all the matting and framing left to do. Ugh.... crazy week ahead since I do my own mats and frames.

However, its shaping up to look amazing... I'm very pleased!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

reply to godisinthesilences

Postby Darkest Dreamer on Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:53 pm

Hey, thanks for the comment. I will definitely post my work once it is actually good enough. I am very critical of myself so it may take a while.

I went to your website and I think you have beautiful artwork and photography! This may be a stupid question, but do you do this full time?

How exciting to have a show of your work! I hope you will post some photos of the show on your website or here. That is so cool.

Good luck with your show!
"I don't want to be alone with all my darkest dreaming..."
Darkest Dreamer
Regular
Regular

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:48 pm

yes being a photographic artist is my career. I also teach photography at a local college. I've decided that teaching workshops is more what I'd like to do instead though.
Thanks for the compliment :-) Kind of you :-)
namaste'
laura
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Introspective time

Postby sheisnot on Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:31 pm

Darkest Dreamer wrote:What is New Orleans like these days? I hope things are improving for everyone and life is getting back to normal. I am guessing that sadly for some of the neighbourhoods it might not be that way though. I would love to visit one day. I would love to see the beautiful architecture and hear some great jazz.

Things are s l o w l y getting better. I live in the Uptown/Garden District area, which had very little wind damage and no flooding. Things have been pretty much back to normal in this part of town and the Quarter and a few other areas for months (although we are still experiencing occasional blackouts as workers repair electrical lines, and water pressure is a constant issue right now, not to mention the enormous increase in rents and cost of living). However, in the flooded areas things are moving very slowly, if at all, and looting is a major problem, which is why the National Guard was called back in to police those areas. Much of the flooded area is still abandoned--we are missing about half our pre-Katrina population and I'm guessing most of those people won't or can't come back.

August is coming up--typically the time of hurricane season when we really start worrying about hurricanes. If we can make it through the next two and a half months or so without one, we should be in the clear. Everyone keep your fingers crossed; we can't handle another big storm right now.
sheisnot
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:09 pm

I am praying for you and all of New Orleans that no more damage is incurred in all the effected areas. Namaste'
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:21 am

I'd love to see your works Darkest.
Congrats on your solo show Gods!!! I love your work :-D Hope everything is great!
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:46 am

@ PA *MWAH* :D
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:32 pm

Yes, post your work. I'm all about looking at art.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:44 am

I looked at all the photos my cousin took .... I'm really.... disgusted at our government and how they dealt with this disaster. Apparently from the details given by the people who go in and gut houses an average of 2 bodies a week is found. A YEAR after this disaster bodies are still being found????!!!! That is so wrong that I have no words!
She showed me a house that was totaled. 8 people died in it.... the entire family.... the state will do nothing about demolishing the house since its private property and they fear being sued. However all the members that would sue are now dead. Make any sense???? No, I didn't think so either.....
I AM JUST 100% D I S G U S T E D !!!!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sheisnot on Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:26 pm

Yes, they are still finding bodies here, nearly a year after Katrina. If you want to show your disgust, write your local Congressmen/women, write the president, join in or give to Katrina charities, OR just keep telling people what you've learned, that New Orleans and the Gulf Coast is NOT all cleaned up and that we still need help. The botched recovery process and the laissez faire attitudes of both our local and federal governments concerning this disaster STILL boggles my mind.

A friend who lives in Mississippi posted photos in her livejournal this morning of her walk on the beach the other day. Nearly a year later, there are still tires, microwaves, dead trees, dolls, clothes, shoes, hot water heaters and other detritus from the storm littering the beach. Not only is this a humanitarian and financial disaster, it's an environmental disaster, as well.
sheisnot
Obsessed
Obsessed

Return to Open Season