Intelligent (to a certain degree)

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Intelligent (to a certain degree)

Postby inkinthewell on Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:01 pm

neonico wrote:
inkinthewell wrote:
neonico wrote:where i come from is intelligence measured by what youve studied ie a university degree...

Well, in the world I live in, a university degree only means you have (probably, hopefully!) a wee bit more specific knowledge of a certain argument than the average person;

well if the above is true a wee bit more knowedge then you d let yourself be operated in hosital by a person thats hasnt studied

good argument...

As I have to reply extensively to Neo, I thought it was better to do it in a thread of its own.
First of all, intelligence cannot, by any means, be granted to anyone through a piece of paper. I know a man who is in his seventies, and, just after retiring from work, has begun attending university. He'll surely get a degree in the next years, because he's a capable person, but the degree won't make him intelligent. He was intelligent before, is intelligent now, and will be intelligent when he gets the degree. Honestly (taking your point of view literally), to think that, without a degree, his whole life should be considered spent in stupidity makes my blood curdle.
Doctors: let's say you have a problem with your heart. Will you see a podiatrist or a cardiologist? They both have a degree, so, once again taking you literally, that should be enough to give the podiatrist the necessary knowledge to solve your problems. Or would you rather go to the cardiologist? Even though a huge amount of people (you, me and podiatrists included) know what a heart is, where it is and how it works, I reckon we would all prefer hearing the advice of somebody who knows a wee bit more about it than us (the 'wee bit more' thing was, and is, ironic).
I have to point out that I have nothing against whoever holds a degree, but I admit having little respect, if any, for some graduates (does the word 'politicians' ring a bell?).
Hoping all this won't get too serious, here's something I've found that I hope may raise a smile. It's a poem by a 17th century poet called A.B. Normal:

Georgie Porgie was not very bright,
he couldn't have told darkness from light,
but Mother insisted: "Get a degree!
No matter what, even psychology."
So little Georgie had a look round:
naught did he like of all that he found.
'Til, one day, his grand-dad, screaming with pain,
holding his leg, yelled: "Tomorrow will rain!"
In fact, the next day, what a surprise!
a wild storm raged in front of his eyes.
Georgie exclaimed: "Meteorology,
that sure is the thing, and perfect for me.
If I study hard (surely I can),
maybe next year I'll be Weather Man."
And study he did, and got the degree,
was offered a job at the BBC.
Weather forecaster. Boy, was he proud,
but, though he knew well what was a cloud
he hadn't a clue of when it would burst
nor if tomorrow the sun would shine first.
Luckily grandpa came to his aid:
"I'll help you," he said, "don't be afraid,"
and showed him his knee, the whole bony lot.
"This is the most precious thing that I've got.
I've mapped it, look'ee, from side to side,
and foresee the weather nationwide.
It will rain in Surrey if it hurts me here;
a tickle there and snow's bound in Yorkshire.
We'll make a fortune: you on tv,
and me, well, howling on the settee."
The two made a deal, and in a short spell
Georgie was famous through predicting well.
He never missed, 'til one winter day
he foretold dry, the heavens sent spray.
"Well," said the viewers, "one bloomer's all right.
Before we lynch him, let's wait till tonight."
Copiously sweating, Georgie declared:
"The sun's gonna shine right on our head."
When England woke up, it poured far and near,
and that was the end of Georgie's career.
Tattered and torn, he called his grandpa:
"Old fool you! What's the matter with ya?
I'm unemployed 'cause your knee got it wrong:
it predicted sun, it's rained all day long."
"Boy, calm ye down. My knee got it right.
It's hot enough here, even at night.
But, pray, let me ask: dost thou remember
that which I told you back in september?"
"No, but who cares? They nearly killed me
because your knee guided me wrongly."
"Idiot!" growled Pops, and tugged his pyjamas,
"I'm on the beach, in f***ing Bahamas!"
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Intelligent (to a certain degree)

Postby neonico on Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:29 pm

As I have to reply extensively to Neo, I thought it was better to do it in a thread of its own.
First of all, intelligence cannot, by any means, be granted to anyone through a piece of paper. I know a man who is in his seventies, and, just after retiring from work, has begun attending university. He'll surely get a degree in the next years, because he's a capable person, but the degree won't make him intelligent. He was intelligent before, is intelligent now, and will be intelligent when he gets the degree. Honestly (taking your point of view literally), to think that, without a degree, his whole life should be considered spent in stupidity makes my blood curdle.
Doctors: let's say you have a problem with your heart. Will you see a podiatrist or a cardiologist? They both have a degree, so, once again taking you literally, that should be enough to give the podiatrist the necessary knowledge to solve your problems. Or would you rather go to the cardiologist? Even though a huge amount of people (you, me and podiatrists included) know what a heart is, where it is and how it works, I reckon we would all prefer hearing the advice of somebody who knows a wee bit more about it than us (the 'wee bit more' thing was, and is, ironic).
I have to point out that I have nothing against whoever holds a degree, but I admit having little respect, if any, for some graduates (does the word 'politicians' ring a bell?).
Hoping all this won't get too serious, here's something I've found that I hope may raise a smile. It's a poem by a 17th century poet called A.B. Normal:

Georgie Porgie was not very bright,
he couldn't have told darkness from light,
but Mother insisted: "Get a degree!
No matter what, even psychology."
So little Georgie had a look round:
naught did he like of all that he found.
'Til, one day, his grand-dad, screaming with pain,
holding his leg, yelled: "Tomorrow will rain!"
In fact, the next day, what a surprise!
a wild storm raged in front of his eyes.
Georgie exclaimed: "Meteorology,
that sure is the thing, and perfect for me.
If I study hard (surely I can),
maybe next year I'll be Weather Man."
And study he did, and got the degree,
was offered a job at the BBC.
Weather forecaster. Boy, was he proud,
but, though he knew well what was a cloud
he hadn't a clue of when it would burst
nor if tomorrow the sun would shine first.
Luckily grandpa came to his aid:
"I'll help you," he said, "don't be afraid,"
and showed him his knee, the whole bony lot.
"This is the most precious thing that I've got.
I've mapped it, look'ee, from side to side,
and foresee the weather nationwide.
It will rain in Surrey if it hurts me here;
a tickle there and snow's bound in Yorkshire.
We'll make a fortune: you on tv,
and me, well, howling on the settee."
The two made a deal, and in a short spell
Georgie was famous through predicting well.
He never missed, 'til one winter day
he foretold dry, the heavens sent spray.
"Well," said the viewers, "one bloomer's all right.
Before we lynch him, let's wait till tonight."
Copiously sweating, Georgie declared:
"The sun's gonna shine right on our head."
When England woke up, it poured far and near,
and that was the end of Georgie's career.
Tattered and torn, he called his grandpa:
"Old fool you! What's the matter with ya?
I'm unemployed 'cause your knee got it wrong:
it predicted sun, it's rained all day long."
"Boy, calm ye down. My knee got it right.
It's hot enough here, even at night.
But, pray, let me ask: dost thou remember
that which I told you back in september?"
"No, but who cares? They nearly killed me
because your knee guided me wrongly."
"Idiot!" growled Pops, and tugged his pyjamas,
"I'm on the beach, in f***ing Bahamas!"[/quote][/quote]

This wasnt pointed at you inkinthewell but in germany like you said this propagabda is very high if you are an artist

like david or a painter without a degree you are not reconised here ---this is very strong here and thats the reason that he is not so known ....which i dont find proper

most of my posts seem a bit narrow minded perhaps ive lived here too long and im a bit narrow minded also ...this wasnt always the case..

england is open so open perhaps too much ...

i know lots of amazing artists here for example but will never get the credit perhaps in england---

i hope this puts more light on what ive tried to express or posted... :smt006 :smt006

its just when the most of us post what looks intelligent then they are called intelligent ...and in my opion what you post or write dosent mean you are intelligent you can spend hours

with a translater and with a alternative word finder in google....which is not my thing ...it just got on my nerves david intelligent this or that and no one really nows the guy... that includes me by the way..
neonico

Postby inkinthewell on Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:59 pm

I am well aware that living in a narrow minded place is tough, just look where I live!!! But I think that narrow mindedness can be beaten; not through open mindedness, which can become just an anti-narrow-mindedness (i.e. narrow mindedness: I love what I know and no more; open mindedness: I love what I don't know, and no more [I am exaggerating again, but I hope this gives the idea]), but through honesty. If one can honestly confront people and things, using his own sense and intelligence, staying well clear of prejudices of any sort, that can take him one step beyond the narrowness.
:D

P.S. I was listening to a record earlier today (Spike by Elvis Costello), and in one song there's this sentence: "They say that travel broadens the mind, 'til you can't get your head out of doors". :lol:
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Hawk on Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:18 pm

inkinthewell wrote:P.S. I was listening to a record earlier today (Spike by Elvis Costello), and in one song there's this sentence: "They say that travel broadens the mind, 'til you can't get your head out of doors". :lol:

Interesting.

*thinks*

Oo wait I get it! Even more interesting... *adds to quotes book*

The 'degree' situation comes up a lot where I work as no-one else has any academic qualifications except me...and the phrase "graduates who don't know how to change lightbulbs" is thrown around a lot... Basically, for my co-workers, intelligence = common sense not how many qualifications you have. And it's interesting for me, coming from the other side of the fence. I was always brought up to honour academic and studious achievements. Now I can see both sides of the story and it's obvious that concepts like intelligence mean different things to people.

As for living in England, I agree it generally seems that one doesn't have to have a degree to be successful (even if the government are pushing more and more people to go to university... maybe that's why it's not so special any more) If Intelligence = Success, Success seems to be more about character. People who are business-minded, shrewd, streetwise, people who are able to network, people who are good at selling, at negotiating, at making decisions... they are often the people considered 'intelligent' at least where I work... (Unfortunately I do not fit that profile - perhaps I should come to Germany) :roll:

But, then, what is this obsession with wanting to be intelligent? If everyone has their own ideas of what intelligence is, surely we are all intelligent in our own separate ways? But is that being too open-minded? I guess acceptance of everything and everyone and not believing in right or wrong makes decision-making quite tough... and you end up with an indifferent attitude and no strong opinions... which suggests you do not care.... and is carelessness the ultimate stupidity?? Or maybe it's wise not to judge the intelligence of others and just go with what feels right for you?

A wise man once wrote : "There's nothing wrong with analysis and intelligence or intellectualism per say,
it's just that the atmosphere that often exudes from the different subcultures that worship it,
often feels anal, stingy, joyless, cruel, harsh and false (as opposed to sincere) to me.
Doesn't feel free flowing, fun, or beautiful. ........ Yet I acknowledge that from where they are,
they too, are just trying to make themselves feel better.

Hawk's two cents... (or pennies)
Hawk
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Silver Moon on Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:23 pm

Nothin' can beat the 'School of Hard Knocks', though... Basically just common sense, and a good work ethic! ;)

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby neonico on Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:08 pm

Silver Moon wrote:Nothin' can beat the 'School of Hard Knocks', though... Basically just common sense, and a good work ethic! ;)

-K-

interesting never heard this before as forgiener but find it a good thing.....expierencing both sides of the coin and

and educating myself at a later date,,

The School of Hard Knocks is an idiomatic phrase meaning the (sometimes painful) education one gets from life's usually negative experiences, often contrasted with formal education. The term was first coined by American columnist George Ade in 1912[1], and re-popularized by the song "It's the Hard Knock Life" from the 1977 musical adaptation of Annie, which chronicles the life of poor, uneducated orphans.

It is a phrase which is most typically used by a person to claim a level of wisdom imparted by life experience, which should be considered at least equal in merit to academic knowledge. It is a response that may be given when one is asked about his or her education, particularly if they do not have an extensive formal education but rather life experiences that should be valued instead. It may also be used facetiously to suggest that formal education is not of practical value compared to "street" experience. In the UK, the phrases University of Life and School of Hard Knocks may be used interchangeably.

The idea that life experience or "training" from the "School of Hard Knocks" is equivalent to formal education is often exploited by diploma mills.

wikipedia....
neonico

Postby Silver Moon on Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:17 am

Yeah it's a phrase my mom always used. ...I guess you could say I'm currently going to the School of Hard Knocks as well! I figure it's best to just save money, work, and get everything started now. I mean, why go to school unless you know what you're gonna do, right? And I'm really not sure...

-k-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby neonico on Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:05 pm

Silver Moon wrote:Yeah it's a phrase my mom always used. ...I guess you could say I'm currently going to the School of Hard Knocks as well! I figure it's best to just save money, work, and get everything started now. I mean, why go to school unless you know what you're gonna do, right? And I'm really not sure...

-k-

what sort of stuff do you like i could imagine an art or photography school would be the right thing for you that you are so creative....

i studied the wrong thing for example nothing creative which i now regret at a later date,,,,,
neonico

Return to Open Season